Is a Mesa Mark V:35 going to have the headroom I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rock-lobster, Dec 6, 2016.

1. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Really impressed with the sound in demos. I like the tone better than the main Mark V from what I've heard. One of the biggest drawbacks of some of the other Mesas I'm looking at (namely LSC, Mark V) is that they weigh a whole lot, and I'm not sure how long I'll be able to tolerate that on the road, especially because I plan on getting a road case.

Anyway, it's hard to figure out without owning an amp how it'll do for headroom. Although I love the clean tones I've heard I'm afraid I won't be able to get them at stage volume. We tend to play 2-500 people rooms and although I'm miked up at 99% of shows, I prefer to get most of my own volume through the amp as opposed to in the wedges.

This question also extends to the Lonestar Special and honestly a bunch of other amps.

2. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

I am also very interested in the TC-50 but need more demos or a chance to play one.

3. Phletch

Phletch Member

What kind of music/band/how many instruments, etc. If you've got horn players, it could be a problem staying pristine clean at loud volumes without getting buried. If it's a power trio and your drummer isn't Mongo, you'll probably be OK, especially if you pair the amp with a really efficient speaker(s). I do just fine with a 25W Mini Rec in a classic rock/bluesy power trio, but it's a tough call without actually having heard you guys live in a room.

Can you audition the amp at least at a band rehearsal? If you can get one from someplace with a good return policy, that would be your best bet. Otherwise, it's best to err on the side of caution and go bigger. Better to have the headroom and not need it than need it and not have it.

AshMaui likes this.
  4. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Fusion/prog/"jam." Bass, Drums, Keys, me.

I can definitely use it at a rehearsal after picking it up but the problem is the selection around where I am isn't great. I'd really rather not have to deal with return shipping on an amplifier if I don't have to.

My main problem just seems to be that higher watt Mesas are cartoonishly heavy. The thought of having to lug around ~130 pounds of amp+case every night sounds awful. I've had some chronic back problems and while I know heavy setups are part of touring life I don't want to overdo it.

5. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

Really there is only one way to know. You'll have to get one and play it at a rehearsal or a show. I totally get where you are coming from, but unfortunately you'll have to get your hands dirty and try it out.

One thing to note is that Mesa created the V:35 to get more headroom, but will it be enough for you? Unfortunately none of us can give you an accurate answer.

moosewayne likes this.
  6. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

If only there was a 60 watter. So many amps that I'm interested in seem to only exist as > 90W or < 40W

7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

After being asked the same question about my Mini Jubilee, and sitting down and plugging a few things for comparison, I came up wiht a really good answer to this oft-asked question, and that answer is, it's the wrong question.
    The better question is, does the speaker have the capability to stay clean playing with the band.
    In the case of the Jubilee, the answer is NO, a single 25w Greenback does not have the clean headroom to hang with a loud drummer. Dirty or grindy, yes, but clean no, no matter what amp you plug into it. YOU could plug SRV's SSS and it won't cut it, jut blow up.
    OTOH, my Mini-REc on the 10watt setting was unbearably loud and clean through an EVM12-L. and I only got the master to 5 before the roof tiles started to crumble. Don't get me started on what happens as I tweak the dial on the IIC+ and it only has 2 tubes in it.
    So, the V35 has plenty of power, it then depends on what cab you run.
    If you use an EVM-12L, no worries, just don't stand too close if you dime it, if you want to have children. iT will melt your testicles.
    Something like an G12H-75 Creamback will probably do it, an M65 might be starting to break up a bit, a 25w Greenback will have a conniption. A quad of Greenies will be OK< but then you are getting into weight and bulk issues again.
    Run an EVM if you want clean headroom. Heavy bastards though.

NicDo and moosewayne like this.
  8. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

If weight is a concern why don't you buy the head and use a separate cab? I have the V35 head. It is very loud and has good headroom. It is extremely sensitive to all the controls which are interactive. The EQ plays a big part in setting up your sound as well.

Waxhead likes this.
  9. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Head rooms a weird one. I find a lot of "high headroom" amps to break up even at quieter stage volumes. I like pristine clean tones, as in, not an ounce of grit. The only amps I've found that give me that are 100w monsters like the John Mayer sig.

I have the JP-2C and with a high output pickup I find the clean channel still breaks up at around 1/3rd volume, and that's 90w.

10. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Would rather do the combo if possible. Cheaper, more convenient personally, and any 2x12 is gonna bring me back to my weight concerns. Plus I would rather just have to pick up one road case.

The included speaker is a Celestion C90. Are these known to have good headroom?

11. theroan

theroan Member

The Mark V 25 is super loud and clean at high volumes. I can only imagine the 35 has that more so. I also owned a Lonestar Special, it easily held it's own in the volume department.

12. Lef T

Lef T Member

I'm using a C90 in a Mesa 1x12 Royal Atlantic cab.
    I'm powering that with a Mark V at 90 wattls.
    I really like the C90 and it has no problem being used with the 90 watt Mark V

13. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I can't answer your question but I am interested in the answer. This could be the perfect amp for me as I play in various size rooms.

One thing relative to your question is that the V-35 has a DI line out, which is a simple and easy way to connect with your PA. Because of that your volume needs gigging are really only stage volume, which is supplemented by monitors if you use them. Said another way cranking it is likely unnecessary so clean headroom is preserved.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I have a MV:35 and have it on a stand at 45degrees pointing up at me. I can always hear myself from the amp - I'm in an 8piece band (two, sometimes 3 horns). In small rooms I can get all the clean headroom I need at the 10 watt setting, larger rooms and if the stage is deep, 25 or even 35 watts, but even at 10 watts the V:35 gets loud quick, and stays clean in ch1. The selectable power is well thought out, the CabClone DI is a God-send. I've used it on "Vintage" most all the time. I use the selectable clean boosts for each channel to compensate for the vol. loss when I use coil taps, and have a clean boost on my pedal board for solo boosts. It's just a well thought out gigging amp that meets todays needs.

eigentone, AshMaui, nolenuttt and 2 others like this.
  15. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Not headroom related but I bought a Mesa Elecradyne combo. Now I knew it was heavy going in but convinced myself to "deal with it". Guess what? It got old QUICK. Get a head /cab or a 18 year old guitar tech. Especially with back issues.

Add up the weight of a V35 combo plus road case and reconsider.

Cgkindler, Phletch and Lef T like this.
  16. Phletch

Phletch Member

And just to clarify things: Speakers do not have headroom. Amps have headroom. A speaker's efficiency can only enhance or limit that.

17. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Thanks this is pretty reassuring.

18. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

I've gigged with one of these for a year-Really great amp-Plenty of clean headroom, and we're pretty loud-Classic rock and blues, Stones, Crowes, ZZ, and with just a delay pedal, I've been really happy-Stopped my GAS for a gigging amp-And the Cabclone feature works really well-:banana

doublescale1 likes this.
  19. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

The Mark V:35 combo is 44 lbs
    The Mark V combo is 65 lbs

Enough said.

I have no regrets about the Mark V. I prefer the EL34 and 6L6 and they removed some of my favorite preamp modes when scaling down to mini. The Mark V covers the mid-gain tones better IMO and is ultimately more flexible.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  20. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

The difference from 25W to 100W is only 6dB. That's actually not much. Depending on who you ask, twice as loud is likely either 6dB or 10dB. The Mark V has a 45W and 90W mode = Close Enough as 60W falls somewhere in that 3dB difference.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Cgkindler and doublescale1 like this.