Is a Nocaster worth the price bump over AV52?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Meals, May 31, 2020.

1. Meals

Meals Member

I could buy a 52 right now, or save up a little more over the next few months and get a Nocaster. Is the Nocaster that much better? I'm a sucker for that thermometer case...

2. bgio

bgio Member

I had a ‘99 AVRI 52 and bought a Nocaster. I didn’t play the 52 RI after I bought the Nocaster and just sold it to a friend.

So yes, in my opinion. My Nocaster has the 10/56 V neck on it and I absolutely love that neck. It sounds better, plays better, and looks better to me.

That being said, I played the AVRI for 15 years. I loved it. Great guitar. I think the AVs were a bit better than the AVRIs. But the Nocaster was on another level and I don’t regret it at all.

pedalcr8z, LordByron and Meals like this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Curious as well...

4. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

I had a Cunetto NoCaster back in '96 when they first came out that I sold because it appreciated so much I justified I could pull out some cash and get a '52 RI in it's place. The relic work and blonde color was very realistic. That was a mistake as I felt the RI didn't fall in the same league. Years later I ended up with a 2009 NoCaster. Love this guitar for the tone, playability and neck profile. Like all instruments, there are great ones and dogs in every model. Let your ears, not your eyes be the judge.
    1996 Cunetto NoCaster
    [​IMG]
    2009 NoCaster
    [​IMG]

motorcitychick likes this.
  5. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

It probably comes down to the particular guitar. I loved my Nocaster.

Dana Olsen, Rod and shane8 like this.
  6. shane8

shane8 Member

yep …. play a lot

there's good stuff at all price points

7. Bryan T

That said, one of the first things I did when I got mine was sell the thermometer case! I couldn't believe how much I was able to get for that case. At the time (maybe it is still true) they came with the thermometer case and a modern case. These days, I'd be just as happy to put it in a Mono gig bag.

Rod likes this.
  8. Bryan T

The great thing about teles! You can find one at $300 that is killer. So much fun.

NicDo likes this.
  9. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

IMO the most important thing is how the neck feels in your hands. I have a NOS Nocaster with a big "U" profile neck, and a 1997 copper 52 reissue with a smaller neck. The smaller neck feels better in my hands and so I enjoy playing it more. I am constantly on the fence about selling or trading the Nocaster because it's valuable and I don't think I'd miss it. But it is nothing to do with the quality, which is excellent. It's all about the specs.

10. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

If you dig the Nocaster neck, then yeah, the Nocaster by miles. More importantly, I have played a ton of each at shops and such. I would say 7 in 10 of the ‘52’s are excellent for off the rack guitars. All of the Nocasters I’ve been able to try have been special guitars.

Nocasters have a special rep for a reason, I believe.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Fender's tend to be inconsistent so I'd forget the labels and run the racks and let my ears & hands make the decision.

Teleman likes this.
  12. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

If you haven't already, try one to see if you dig the Nocaster neck. If you do, then, ya, basically it's over and you should get the Nocaster. :)

13. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Supporting Member

For me? Yes. I actually sold my 2001 AVRI 52 to fund my Nocaster. The 52 is an excellent guitar but for me and the particular Nocaster I picked up, there was no comparison. The two guitars are so different and the Nocaster came out on top

14. jasons7

jasons7 Supporting Member

I assume we are talking about $1k difference? I got my 52RI for $1200 and I see used Nocasters starting at around $2200. My 52 is a 2013 which is the "Pure Vintage" run. I haven't owned a Nocaster but I'm really impressed with this guitar. I don't really feel a need to spend another $1k. However, since I haven't owned a Nocaster I'm not fully qualified to say it isn't worth $1K more.

15. D K Souther

D K Souther Member

They’re essentially the same guitar. Just find a 52 that feels good to you. Get some nocaster style pickups if you don’t like the 52s. Even the new AO 50s are great guitars. Don’t get caught up in someone else’s confirmation bias.

Bebop Tom and Jven like this.
  16. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

17. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

They are not really the same guitar. I've owned both. If you have also, I'm not sure how you could feel they are the same guitar.

The necks are very different. It's very important for the OP to try the neck of a Nocaster if he hasn't already. Then he'll know which is right for him.

Daniel Clasby and pedalcr8z like this.
  18. soulman969

soulman969 Member

As good as an AV '52 is the Nocaster is better still and you can find them with necks other than a Fat "U". Mine has a Soft "V". Nicest Tele I've ever played.

Daniel Clasby likes this.
  19. D K Souther

D K Souther Member

I guess I don’t see how 2 reissues of early 50s fenders are “not really the same guitar”? Yes, a different neck shape, I guess. Same materials. If it was me, I’d get a Baja. I have owned many teles. The point of diminishing returns is pretty early in the product range. You’re really just paying for prestige. IMHO

patshep likes this.
  20. Jedi

Jedi Member