Is a partscaster ever truly finished?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kludge, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I only build Tele's and I plan them out in advance and rarely mess with them after the fact. I usually end up selling them towards something and then building another one later on down the line.
    I guess the truth is I don't really love working on my guitars. I like assembling them and getting to a giggable place, then that's about it.

2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Supporting Member

When I am truly happy with how everything is working together then the guitar is done. I have a few that are "Done" and a few that are not.
    But there is always room to start another one...

Matt Dillon likes this.
  3. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

I have a bunch that are continually getting changed.
    One really needs the body resprayed but is staying as is ( for now) because it otherwise turned out well.

4. zul

zul Supporting Member

My main achieved singularity about two years ago,
    after around 35 years of tinkering. I didn't realize it
    till a year after, when I was changing the volume pot.
    The very last job was actually threaded inserts, which
    because of all the tinkering, should have been the first.

Backup tele and Coodercaster projects should keep it safe.

5. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

"Partscasters are never finished, only abandoned." ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Multi Angle Vise likes this.
  6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I bought a dead mint '96 Am std tobacco burst Strat for a great price. I lived with it as is for a year then decided the neck just wasnt right for me so I got a Warmoth '59 with SS frets, finished it with Tru-oil and slapped some hipshot locking tuners on it. I replaced the trem with a gotoh 510 and installed an Ilitch backplate to tame the noise. I lived with that config for the last 3-4 years but now I'm going to swap the guts for a zexcoil loaded pickguard. I also want to swap the body for a light weight roasted alder or ash body with an oil finish but that will probably wait for at least another year.

So I started with that '96 fender strat and will end up with an all warmoth partcaster. At that point I'm pretty sure it will be "done"... Until a better bridge or noiseless pickup system becomes available.

All that said each and every part on my partscaster has been hand selected by me which makes it my own and I have no intention of selling it. And I typically live with any changes for a couple years before getting the itch to try something new.

7. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

No offense but you went thru 4 pickguards and that's what you settled on? Sorry, im just not a fan of Tort. Last thing id put on my guitar but i know many like them.

I dont have a partscaster myself. Just a Strat ive changed a few things on which are the pickups (SSL-1's), the String tree to an American style, and yes the pickguard from Parchment to mint green. Thinking its done....til its not. It could be, ......not sure. Have no plans but you never know.

8. Jven

Jven Member

Mmmmmm ok...

smallbutmighty likes this.
  9. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

If I'm not happy with it and think it could be improved, then no. I feel like that's a bit different than just wanting to try something new. I do feel less 'guilty' when changing a partscaster around, but that's just me.

I've put together four Warmoths. Two of them are replicas of another guitar, so those were sort of a fixed spec even before I started ordering the parts. In the first of the other two, I haven't changed anything besides the pickups, but never been 100% about the neck profile. Only really kept it because it's got some nice figuring

The other one basically had everything changed besides the body and bridge. Wasn't satisfied with how it sounded or played initially.