Is a pedal tuner more accurate than a polytune clip on?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by antvas1963, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

1. antvas1963

antvas1963 Member

I have a polytune clip on and a Snark that I use to tune. I never leave them on my guitars so tuning means getting the tuner, clipping it on,turning it on,tuning,turning it off, removing and storing the tuner.
    I almost always play through my pedalboard so I was considering getting a pedal tuner. I have no more room on my board so I have to lose a pedal or build another board. I’m sure stepping on a pedal to tune up would be more convenient than the clip on. But are there any drawbacks? Are pedal tuners more accurate than clip on ones?

2. RBH

RBH Member

Pedal tuners will more than likely be more accurate. Clip on tuners use sensors ( accelorometers that can also be influenced by natural or build related resonances. Pedal tuners typically are a little more accurate because they strictly measure the input electronically. Make sure you place the tuner first in your chain direct from your guitar to get as clean a signal as possible. The good thing about clip on tuners is - you can just turn down the guitar volume to use them. You can't do that with a pedal - so you need to kill the signal some where else in the chain to tune silently. I find that clip on tuners are generally accurate enough for normal playing. In some recording situations -the pedal tuner is preferred.

3. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

I definitely feel my pedal tuners are a bit more accurate. I only use clip on tuners for unplugged acoustic guitars, and I generally find they need some by ear fine tuning. I agree with most of what @RBH said, but if your tuner has a buffer some effects (Fuzz) I do prefer ahead of it.

vbf likes this.
  4. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Silver Supporting Member

I use the clip on and switched to the strobostomp on the board. I really like the strobe. Makes setting intonation really easy and accurate. The clip on works pretty good though.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Member

For me a pedal tuner is far more convenient if not also marginally more accurate.

6. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

The Polytune Clip is accurate, you're not going to get significantly better accuracy in a pedal tuner than what that offers. But what you will get with a pedal tuner is a more reliable and practical tuner. It will mute the signal while you tune (also useful when you're switching guitars), and it will work better in a noisy environment. For me, the clip ons are great for the acoustic at home, and I carry one as a backup to gigs. But I don't rely on them for electrics, pedal tuners are a much better option imo.

7. dazco

dazco Member

Polytune states that thier clip is more accurate than their pedal tuner. I couldn't find ANY tuner more accurate than their clip. Not saying there isn't but anyhing more would be overkill.

Dud, Antmax, smallbutmighty and 2 others like this.
  8. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Yes, but unless you're REALLY scrutinizing over intonation during setups, it's not going to matter.

I have a mini Turbo Tuner pedal and a Uni-Tune clip on. The Uni-Tune is more than accurate enough to do setups.

derekd likes this.
  9. Guppie

Guppie Member

Any decent pedal tuner has as "mute when active" setting. Maybe some don't so don't buy those.

Corvid likes this.
  10. Select12

Select12 Member

I have the Peterson clip on and it does the daily job great. But for intonation I use the Peterson HD, so I can dial in exactly where it needs to be.

11. Andrew Wong

Andrew Wong Member

I just bought a polytune 3 yesterday, vote for pedal

12. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

My Boss TU2 pedal tuner allows me to daisy chain the other pedals, and I have it set to mute the signal when tuning. No batteries to worry about and probably faster on off than a clip on. And at least as accurate, if not more so.

13. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

I was going to say, "no" but then checked out the specs of the Polytune Clip. In strobe mode it's on par with a Turbo Stomp and much more accurate than anything from Peterson. I'd still go with a pedal just to be able to mute and tune during a song.

14. Tootone

Tootone Member

I have a Polytune Pedal. It came off my board as soon as I got the clip-on.

The secret is to leave it on your guitar.

15. Stomp

Stomp Member

The independently tested detection accuracy for Peterson is 0.01 cent or better.
    I'm not aware of a more accurate tuner.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    PBGas, ClickClack and ellis dee like this.
  16. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

I was going from Peterson's site, which says +/- 0.1 cents. Maybe that was old info, but that was what I found.

EDIT: I double-checked, and in one description the Peterson site says, "... the same tenth-of-a-cent accuracy as all Peterson strobe tuners...", so 0.1 cent.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    Bobbyoso and Dud like this.
  17. Stomp

Stomp Member

I understand (not getting on your case :aok), you were just going by the spec.
    However, in our case that means the ability to not only detect but to also display pitch error. Most tuner specs only refer to detection accuracy.

In order to tune to the 0.1 cent resolution, requires accuracy far better than 0.1 cent and a high resolution display to match, I'm not aware of a pedal tuner with a higher resolution display than the StroboStomp HD or a clip-on with a higher resolution display than the StroboClip HD.

We specify 0.1 cent because that is the smallest adjustable/programmable increment.

18. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

The clip on tuners I've used are plenty accurate enough.

Likely more accurate than your guitar's setup and tuners are able to dial in.

19. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

I've had the same Boss TU-2 for almost 2 decades. I love it because of it's simplicity and durability. My favorite aspect of pedal tuners are they mute when engaged, so I use them as mutes during rehearsal and shows.

I'm not a pedalboard guy so I can't tell you if it would be worth dumping a pedal off your board.

20. orogeny

orogeny Member

try a tu-3. :)
    SO FAST! Big difference between mine an my tu-2

smallbutmighty likes this.