Is a pedal tuner more accurate than a polytune clip on?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by antvas1963, Jun 28, 2020.

1. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I have both, the clip on I use is one that tucks under the headstock pretty well and is barely visible. I still prefer the pedal but for the reasons other than accuracy.

Once I calibrated the clip on to a pedal tuner, when I've occasionally compared them they give essentially the same results.

There are mini tuners like the Polytune that might fit on a board that a TU-3 wouldn't.

Also, if you go to the trouble of putting on and taking off your clip on every time you tune, just carrying a pedal tuner seperate from your board and adding it to the front when you set up has to be over all way less of a PITA. Putting on and taking off the clip on isn't that tough of course, but repeating it several times would get to be a bit of a pain and might discourage using it as much as you need to.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:47 PM
  2. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Some think that you can't tune with a clip-on in a noisy environment. Since clip-ons work on vibration they can be used in an environment with ambient sound/noise.

modavis99 likes this.
  3. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I find myself compensating slightly with clip on tuners- even my Unitune, but I think it's due to the small size and readout. I find the strobe mode to be a little clunky and in the needle mode there's a large enough range where it's supposedly in tune that I can hear the difference in tuning while the readout is still in the green. I get much better tuning results with a Turbo Tuner.

Bobbyoso likes this.
  4. Antmax

Antmax Member

My Unitune clip is my favourite tuner. It's the same as a polytune but doesn't automatically switch to poly if you strum all the strings. I found that feature annoying and not worth the extra $20.

In isolation it's more accurate than most pedal tuners. But a pedal is much more practical in a noisy environment and less visible, plus they cut off the sound when you activate them so you can tune without any noise from your guitar.

Dud likes this.
  5. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

Sound is vibration. If your guitar neck is vibrating from the bass player's note, a clip-on can pick that up. I've experienced this myself, so I'm not just floating theory.

6. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I've had problems trying to use them live. Like you said, they pick up vibrations...like other band members playing at full volume on stage while you're quickly trying to tune. If all the ambient sound you have to deal with is a relatively quiet TV in the background, they're fine. But I, as well as some others, have actually had issues with clip ons in noisy environments, it's not just speculation.

Steadfastly likes this.
  7. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I can see that if there is some loud music, especially a lot of bass, that would produce vibration that could be picked up by the neck and headstock of a nearby guitar. That is a good point to remember.

8. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso Member

Just a thought; you could read the accuracy specs on the tuners, and that way, opinions don't get in the way of the facts.

So, with that in mind, the Turbotuners are .02 cent accuracy; Petersons, while 5x less accurate (0.1 cents), are still more than adequate. Most clipons, with the exception of the Peterson, are an order of magnitude less accurate (1-3 cents).

I think there are still folks who would find the less accurate clipons to be adequate. Depends on your music, whether you do your own setups, and the guitars you use (I had a 60s SG special with a wraparound tailpiece that could never get within a zipcode of "intonated", so using a .02 cent tuner with that guitar was like putting a 14x nightscope on a Daisy BB gun).

Check the specs--anything else is just an opinion, and you know what they say...

JeffK and neville5000 like this.
  9. webs

webs Member

Several posts before yours, a rep from Peterson explained precisely why those specs aren't the whole story. Context is what turns numbers into information.

10. Thesleepstalker

Thesleepstalker Member

11. Starshine

Starshine Member

I've definitely been in high volume situations where the clip on didn't really work because it was picking up vibrations from other sources.

12. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    get a TC Polytune mini - used on Reverb from $65.00, new $99.00 - real accurate and mute function is your friend. Put it on the floor next to your pedal board if you have to. In tune rocks.

13. bibir

bibir Member

Thanks to my clip on some of my high end fender decal are torn now. Never used clip on again since

14. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

When i switched from a broken Korg Pitchblack pedal tuner to a clip-on a few years ago, I really thought at the time that that must be a compromise in tuning accuracy and I'd switch back as soon as I could get another delivered.

And you know, I never did! I don't know if I'm less in tune or not, but I've just never noticed anything demonstrable. Maybe I never could tell the minute differences in pitch anyway, but maybe I don't need to. The guitars sound the same, my playing sounds the same.. I've just forgotten about it and the new Pitchblack sit's on the shelf unused. One more space on my board free.

Of course, I only play at home nowadays. I'ts not going to work if your in a band.

15. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Save up and get a Peterson.

[​IMG]

Danzego likes this.
  16. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Use whatever is easiest and most convenient for you. Guitars themselves generally don't play 100% in tune due to intonation and/or variable fretting pressure from your fingers. There's no point in getting within 0.01% when tuning when your actual performance will have a wider variance anyways.

Corvid and mc5nrg like this.
  17. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

I just bought a Peterson StroboClip HD. Haven’t yet decided what I'm going to do with it. I may return it and get the one you posted. I thought I would love it. It's kinda meh. So far not a lot of reason to reach for it over my $10 Snark.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:46 AM
  18. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso Member

Read his post, it's irrelevant. Assuming that the accuracy info from each manufacturer is nonfiction , .02 cents guaranteed is more accurate than 0.1 cent guaranteed, period. Regardless of spin from a vested interest. Verified performance specs are empirical, opinions are...opinions.

19. webs

webs Member

You're satisfied that .02 cents and 0.1 cents as reported by each manufacturer are measuring the same thing, and are directly relatable, even with the explanation that .02c describes something other than what the tuner is capable of displaying?

By whom are the performance specs verified and within what parameters? It seems strange to say that the specs are "fact" and that anything else is "opinion" while also assuming, without any further examination, that the manufacturers specs are the whole truth. Talk about spin from a vested interest!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    Toffo and darkwave like this.
  20. Balok

Balok Member

This has great eq, chorus, trem, delay, octave - most everything but the distortion effects are great - those are ok. Excellent configurable tuner.
    I like the option to change effects on mood or gig situation. A fantastic unit overall with outstanding bypass buffer.

[​IMG]