Is a pedal tuner more accurate than a polytune clip on?

hunter

Supporting Member
0.1% system accuracy seems to get me in the sweet spot for tuning giving the optimum compromise between accuracy and tuner disposition. A higher accuracy tuner does me no good if process variables (tuners, string movement type stuff) make the tuner difficult to read. Or worse yet, force me to make an arbitrary decision about when the tuner display movement has slowed enough to call it good.

The human factors aspect is very important and within a reasonable high accuracy spec (say less than +/-1%, preferably +/-0.1%, or better), the best bet is pick a tuner with the display that works best for you. A polytune Clip in strobe mode is a high accuracy tuner. In real terms, a pedal won't provide a meaningful accuracy advantage.

Otherwise, there are pluses and minuses to both. I prefer pedal tuning for electric but use clip on tuners for acoustic work. I have a Polytune and I didn't like the display so after a gig or two I shelved it. Assuming the clip on has a similar display, I would not care for it. I like the Peterson display. Its accuracy sits right on my sweet spot as does the display response and graphic. That is what I use.

PBGas

Supporting Member
I have a Peterson stobostomp HD. Absolutely fabulous tuner. The guys in my band both use the poly tune stuff but they end up plugging in and using my tuner sometimes instead.

Daytona57

I've been using a Boss TU-2, forever. I place it at the end my chain, for a buffer to amp, kill switch and continuity tester when I tune, to ensure there are no bad cables on my pedalboard.

If I need a tuner for my acoustic, I use the Boss tuner app on my cellphone.

YMMV

ozraves

Polytune states that thier clip is more accurate than their pedal tuner. I couldn't find ANY tuner more accurate than their clip. Not saying there isn't but anyhing more would be overkill.
I've found my Peterson Stroboplus HD to be more accurate than either of my Polytune Clip-On tuners. Still, I usually use the Polytunes for ease of use and only refer to the Peterson when something sounds even the slightest little bit off.

Tony Done

I don't know is plug-in tuners are more accurate that clip-on, I doubt it, but my experience is that they are more responsive and therefore easier to use.

Bobbyoso

You're satisfied that .02 cents and 0.1 cents as reported by each manufacturer are measuring the same thing, and are directly relatable, even with the explanation that .02c describes something other than what the tuner is capable of displaying?

By whom are the performance specs verified and within what parameters? It seems strange to say that the specs are "fact" and that anything else is "opinion" while also assuming, without any further examination, that the manufacturers specs are the whole truth. Talk about spin from a vested interest!
I have no vested interest, I make no $$$ from any tuner manufacturer. You run along and use whatever you like. Me, if I'm trying to do accurate blueprints, I use a very sharp pencil, not a 1" paintbrush. But you do you.

hunter

Supporting Member
I have no vested interest, I make no $$$ from any tuner manufacturer. You run along and use whatever you like. Me, if I'm trying to do accurate blueprints, I use a very sharp pencil, not a 1" paintbrush. But you do you.
The comparison is more like a sharp pencil and a very sharp pencil. Hyperbole aside. With that in mind the real goal is to produce a line quality that meets the spec for a blue printable drawing. Too sharp a point and the wrong lead and you may wind up breaking lead all the time or not meeting the line quality requirement. Caveat being I sat at a board for a year but that was a long time ago so maybe things changed. CAD?

Use the right tool designed to do the job right.

And note, I said system accuracy since instrument accuracy doesn't tell the whole story. For example, there is also the unmentioned deadband. Most instrument systems include some amount of deadband. Too little deadband and the instrument is jumpy and unreadable. Too much deadband and the instrument is too slow and will not have enough resolution to accurately display the instrument information. The classic example of deadband design is a thermostat. Too narrow and the heat or A/C will cycle on and off all the time at a high frequency. Too large and the room temperature will get too far out of the desired comfort range. In the case of a tuner, the display response is part of the deadband consideration. We are part of that deadband too since we are the ones turning the tuners (robo tuner aside).

There is more to design of an instrument for best performance than just having the highest accuracy detector.

Last edited:

Flogger59

Live I prefer a pedal tuner, especially on acoustic.

In a noisy environment like a bar an acoustic guitar can pick up extraneous noise and pass it to a clip on tuner. The pedal gets the info straight from the pickup, and I find the tuning needle more stable.

Rumors of War

Supporting Member
The polytune, unitune, or strobo tuner are plenty accurate. I use the polytune for acoustic or my small pedalboard. The large board has the turbo mini.

webs

This is a terrific example of how being very sensitive doesn't necessarily make an instrument (or a person) good at evaluating the input they've recieved.

Bobbyoso

This is a terrific example of how being very sensitive doesn't necessarily make an instrument (or a person) good at evaluating the input they've recieved.
Sonny, I don't need your input. Like I said, I don't care what you use. I am very familiar with both Petersen and Turbo specs, and implementation, and displays. I'd use either. Use what you like, but don't "educate" me. You're not qualified.

Bobbyoso

The comparison is more like a sharp pencil and a very sharp pencil. Hyperbole aside. With that in mind the real goal is to produce a line quality that meets the spec for a blue printable drawing. Too sharp a point and the wrong lead and you may wind up breaking lead all the time or not meeting the line quality requirement. Caveat being I sat at a board for a year but that was a long time ago so maybe things changed. CAD?

Use the right tool designed to do the job right.

And note, I said system accuracy since instrument accuracy doesn't tell the whole story. For example, there is also the unmentioned deadband. Most instrument systems include some amount of deadband. Too little deadband and the instrument is jumpy and unreadable. Too much deadband and the instrument is too slow and will not have enough resolution to accurately display the instrument information. The classic example of deadband design is a thermostat. Too narrow and the heat or A/C will cycle on and off all the time at a high frequency. Too large and the room temperature will get too far out of the desired comfort range. In the case of a tuner, the display response is part of the deadband consideration. We are part of that deadband too since we are the ones turning the tuners (robo tuner aside).

There is more to design of an instrument for best performance than just having the highest accuracy detector.
Yep, no doubt. But it happens that the highest accuracy pedal tuners have appropriately accurate displays. Absolutely dysfunctional (and a boneheaded waste of $$$) to have an 18,000 rpm F1 engine if you're going to rev-limit it at 3000 rpm; same with high-accuracy tuners. And I do believe that the folks building tuners know this. And yeah, the TT jumps around, especially with suboptimally built or set-up instruments, but I prefer to deal with that, rather than a +/- 3 cent "butter knife". Again, no dog in this fight, I really don't care what folks use. Furthermore, I find that accuracy may even be a drawback, for more rootsy/primitive idioms. I just find it interesting that people have "opinions" when there are demonstrably, empirically better devices (BOTH of which have displays that are accurate enough that they leverage the speced accuracy).

hunter

Supporting Member
Yep, no doubt. But it happens that the highest accuracy pedal tuners have appropriately accurate displays. Absolutely dysfunctional (and a boneheaded waste of $$$) to have an 18,000 rpm F1 engine if you're going to rev-limit it at 3000 rpm; same with high-accuracy tuners. And I do believe that the folks building tuners know this. And yeah, the TT jumps around, especially with suboptimally built or set-up instruments, but I prefer to deal with that, rather than a +/- 3 cent "butter knife". Again, no dog in this fight, I really don't care what folks use. Furthermore, I find that accuracy may even be a drawback, for more rootsy/primitive idioms. I just find it interesting that people have "opinions" when there are demonstrably, empirically better devices (BOTH of which have displays that are accurate enough that they leverage the speced accuracy).
It is more than just an accurate display. The F1 analogy? A 0.01% accuracy tuner is a lot more like an 18,000 rpm engine with a rev limiter. I'll leave it to you to figure out what the rev limiter is. And butter knifes? Once again you are back to selling a comparison between sharp pencils and paintbrushes. And the thinly veiled insult about less accuracy being better for sub-optimally built instruments and rootsy primitive idioms? OK then.

As for demonstrably better devices? I 'd rather use a butter knife to spread butter than a scalpel. Or a paint brush to paint instead of a sharp pencil. Use the right tool for the job.

webs

Sonny, I don't need your input. Like I said, I don't care what you use. I am very familiar with both Petersen and Turbo specs, and implementation, and displays. I'd use either. Use what you like, but don't "educate" me. You're not qualified.
Claiming to have a lot of information isn't the same thing as being able to display it, as you continue to demonstrate.

I feel like I asked some reasonable followup questions and you've been condescending and hostile about things I didn't say while ignoring what I thought were opportunities for me to learn something. If you don't or can't explain why we should listen to the things you claim, it's hard to gauge whether or not they're reasonable. That's why I asked, and why it's hard to take you seriously if your claims are backed up exclusively by being condescending and insisting that you know more than I do. You probably do, which is why I asked the question, and why I'm puzzled when you continue to be rude instead of addressing the question.

As far as being qualified to educate you, you're right, I'm not. I understand they have special classes for that.

Bobbyoso

It is more than just an accurate display. The F1 analogy? A 0.01% accuracy tuner is a lot more like an 18,000 rpm engine with a rev limiter. I'll leave it to you to figure out what the rev limiter is. And butter knifes? Once again you are back to selling a comparison between sharp pencils and paintbrushes. And the thinly veiled insult about less accuracy being better for sub-optimally built instruments and rootsy primitive idioms? OK then.

As for demonstrably better devices? I 'd rather use a butter knife to spread butter than a scalpel. Or a paint brush to paint instead of a sharp pencil. Use the right tool for the job.

Ahhh yes, another internet sage microtriggered by nonexistent insults. Have you ever heard honkytonk or old style blues pianists? Do you think that music would sound "authentic" with a meticulously tuned Bosendorfer or Steinway grand?

You use what you like. Seems like you're a paintbrush guy, regardless of the project, so stick with 'em.

Kurt L

Interesting discussion.

I’m a happy Strobostomp HD user and big fan of the sweetened tunings. One tip... connect your tuner to the Peterson app and hide all the presets you don’t use!

(It’s my second Strobostomp. I also have the original big blue one.)

I guess it all comes down to the feature set you like. If Peterson isn’t the absolutely most accurate, I really like the display and my guitars still come out sounding great when I redo the intonation and tune to the proper sweetening.
(The EVH setting sounds really good on 25.5” scale.)

hunter

Supporting Member
Ahhh yes, another internet sage microtriggered by nonexistent insults. Have you ever heard honkytonk or old style blues pianists? Do you think that music would sound "authentic" with a meticulously tuned Bosendorfer or Steinway grand?

You use what you like. Seems like you're a paintbrush guy, regardless of the project, so stick with 'em.
So how do you spot an internet sage anyway?

"Microtriggered". Funny guy.

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
Clip ons don’t work as well when there is a lot of noise. Need to tune up in the middle of the song and the rest of the band is still playing? You’re better off with the pedal.

BoxWes

Claiming to have a lot of information isn't the same thing as being able to display it, as you continue to demonstrate.

I feel like I asked some reasonable followup questions and you've been condescending and hostile about things I didn't say while ignoring what I thought were opportunities for me to learn something. If you don't or can't explain why we should listen to the things you claim, it's hard to gauge whether or not they're reasonable. That's why I asked, and why it's hard to take you seriously if your claims are backed up exclusively by being condescending and insisting that you know more than I do. You probably do, which is why I asked the question, and why I'm puzzled when you continue to be rude instead of addressing the question.

As far as being qualified to educate you, you're right, I'm not. I understand they have special classes for that.
Webs,

Don't waste your time with that guy. The Ignore feature was made for people like him. :)