Is a string tree needed for Tele headstock?

JonnyQ

I found myself with a few spare parts and decided to try and make a parts-uhh-ele (partscaster of the Tele blend)

I have a Warmoth T neck devoid of any hardware and I was wondering if I need string trees.

If so, any advice. If not, phew.

itchyfingers

Gold Supporting Member
I've got an Esquire with no string trees, and it works fine. If anything I'd say that the tuning stability is maybe a little weak on the e and b strings, but it plays fine and the stings have yet to pop out of the nut while playing. I think the main reason it works is because they are locking tuners, which produces a slight break angle for the strings after the nut.

MartinPiana

Silver Supporting Member
I have staggered-height locking Sperzals on a Warmoth tele neck (fender licensed) and it works fine without string trees. The stagger is suppose to eliminate the need for the trees I think....

I tried for long intervals on most of these Warmoth T necks (going without) and eventually settled on a single B-little E tree. All of them.

I use the Gotoh splits and run all the strings down the post to get a low release point and cut the G extra long for another 2 rotations and that solves any issue as regards no D-G tree.

I found you CAN get away with no tree but you're paying a little too high a price. With the combination of a nice nut, a single tree and getting that point of departure from the post nice and low, you're covered all which ways you might play. Although, I make like easier by normally using 11-49s. A stiff string tends to mind its manners.

fetchzee

I like a string tree on the b and e strings. I keep the g string loose so I can pull harmonics behind the nut when I'm feeling frisky.

And, yes, I know exactly how that came out. No apologies for my behind-the-nut wrangling.

27sauce

I like a string tree on the b and e strings. I keep the g string loose so I can pull harmonics behind the nut when I'm feeling frisky.

And, yes, I know exactly how that came out. No apologies for my behind-the-nut wrangling.

Very courteous of you. Thank you.

AdmiralB

"It depends". Sometimes you can get away with it, using staggered tuners and a very expertly-cut nut.

The nut is crucial, and the chance of success is also impacted by the headstock itself. I've noticed that with some CS Fenders - particularly ones that use LSR nuts - the headstock is either thicker, with the extra 'meat' pushed out to the back side...and/or the headstock centerline is moved rearward so that the face plane is further 'below' the fingerboard. This has the effect of further shortening the tuner posts, for more angle over the nut.

Personally trees are fine with me on non-vibrato guitars. My favorite placement is what Fender did on the recent '50s Hot Rod Tele - one tree for the top two strings, placed really close (just slightly behind the G tuner). So you get decent, but not severe, angling and you still have plenty of slack if you want to squeeze behind.

Last edited:

Kostas

I have two Warmoth Telecasters both with (different) Gotoh tuners. I used string trees in the first, no string trees in the second because I put staggered tuners.

sshan25

Supporting Member
I use super light strings so I always install one for the B & E if the neck doesn't already have one just to be safe. It's certainly not going to have any negative effect, even if it isn't necessary. I don't get why people find having or not having a string tree such a big deal. Maybe it's an esthetic thing.

Once I forgot to put my string under the roller tree and the E kept popping out.

If they are staying in tune and not popping out of the nut then it's okay.

adauria

+1 for staggered (locking) tuners instead of trees. I replaced the stock tuners and removed the trees on my American Standard Tele with the Fender (Ping) drop in replacement locking tuners. No issues with anything, stays in tune better, and string changes are easier.

-Andrew

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Any recommendations for good staggered tuners to fit vintage slots?
Gotoh staggered Klusons, top notch:

32113472801_b5ff4613b0_b.jpg

ripgtr

I have no string tree on my tele at this time. Musikraft neck, with whatever nut they put on it.
Standard "safety" vintage style tuners.
10s.
No buzzing, have not had a string pop out. I have gigged it, so played hard, still no issues.

Actually, come to think of it, it has 9s on it now, still no issue

Trending Topics

Top Bottom