Is a Suhr Koko Boost Too Loud for a Clean Amp?

coyoteblue

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking of buying a Suhr Koko Boost and was ready to do so until I saw this video:

.... making me think that it doesn't work well with a Deluxe Reverb, which is what I mostly use. Its boost seems way over the top for clean amps in this video. But, I've read others who have this pedal say that it works well with a DR. I'd appreciate some comments on this combination before I lay down the cash.

OrangeAD30TC

The venerable H.W.
What you hear in this video was my experience as well when running it into a Suhr Bella. You can't bring it down to unity gain its always super hot. I think John just intended it to really slam the front end of an already compressed amp.

Weird. So what happens when you dial the boost all the way off?

If that were true it would strike me as silly. Why would a boost not give you control over the boost level to where you can't find unity?

I have also considered a Koko Boost recently, though I went with a ParaEQ instead. I was still interested in trying one though.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
this video has been 100% my experience. i saw it after a bought mine. wish i saw it before.

i have a badger 35 and i really like it. so i got this pedal just because of how much everyone raves about it on TGP and youtube.. "it's like adding channels to your badger!" based on those reviews, this really seemed like a must-have.

well... it's a cool pedal... and can be very useful if you have the right rig. i see why people like it.

that said... i can't get it to work like an extra channel or 2. not even close.

for me... in a live scenario... it just will not work. if i want to run my badger on the edge of breakup and use pedals for drive... this pedal is unusable. the volume boost is so insane that if stepped on it at a gig i'd probably get fired.

now.. the badger has 3 knobs to control your volume and dirt... power, drive and gain. and there's a pretty wide range of sounds in there. it's really a great amp. i guess there's always a chance i just haven't found the right combination. i think if you ran a badger hotter than i run mine, it would probably work better.

and if i run the koko boost into my bassman... which has been modded and (i think) runs at 50 watts... forget it. i'm gonna break windows.

if you're the type who jacks your amp up to 11 and works the volume knob... and spends a lot of time around 5 or 6... i think this may work for you.

i haven't sold it yet... because i've had pedals before that i bought... didn't like... put them on a shelf... and then 3 months later tried again and fell in love with. so at the moment... i still have it.

i should point out... this isn't a knock on suhr by any means... great product if it fits your rig... it just doesn't fit with mine. as they say... YMMV.

Last edited:

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
This isn't unique to the Koko.

If you hit a clean amp with a clean boost it's gonna get louder.

correct. but this one is SO much louder. that's the issue. it's very hard to tame.

i have other boosts that work fine. i've had an RC booster on my board forever. never had this issue with that pedal... mostly because it has independent volume and gain knobs.

suparsonic

Would this work best to stack with another OD or to saturatean already driven amp? I've been eyeing one off and that would be my intended use.

Husky

If you are looking for Extra channels you should look at the Eclipse.

this video has been 100% my experience. i saw it after a bought mine. wish i saw it before.

i have a badger 35 and i really like it. so i got this pedal just because of how much everyone raves about it on TGP and youtube.. "it's like adding channels to your badger!" based on those reviews, this really seemed like a must-have.

well... it's a cool pedal... and can be very useful if you have the right rig. i see why people like it.

that said... i can't get it to work like an extra channel or 2. not even close.

for me... in a live scenario... it just will not work. if i want to run my badger on the edge of breakup and use pedals for drive... this pedal is unusable. the volume boost is so insane that if stepped on it at a gig i'd probably get fired.

now.. the badger has 3 knobs to control your volume and dirt... power, drive and gain. and there's a pretty wide range of sounds in there. it's really a great amp. i guess there's always a chance i just haven't found the right combination. i think if you ran a badger hotter than i run mine, it would probably work better.

and if i run the koko boost into my bassman... which has been modded and (i think) runs at 50 watts... forget it. i'm gonna break windows.

if you're the type who jacks your amp up to 11 and works the volume knob... and spends a lot of time around 5 or 6... i think this may work for you.

i haven't sold it yet... because i've had pedals before that i bought... didn't like... put them on a shelf... and then 3 months later tried again and fell in love with. so at the moment... i still have it.

i should point out... this isn't a knock on suhr by any means... great product if it fits your rig... it just doesn't fit with mine. as they say... YMMV.

kyza

Ha-ha, this reminds me of a time I took my pedalboard to the shop I worked at to show it to a mate. We plugged into a deluxe Rev RI and started playing. I said "then for some gain and sustain I turn this boost on" CLICK.... -> the same ultra clean tone but really, really loud:facepalm my mate looked at me like I had lost it. I learnt a lot that day.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
correct. but this one is SO much louder. that's the issue. it's very hard to tame.

i have other boosts that work fine. i've had an RC booster on my board forever. never had this issue with that pedal... mostly because it has independent volume and gain knobs.

Yeah though it's not really a clean boost. The drive of the RC is what makes that work.

A true clean boost just amplifies the guitar signal so it only gets louder unless the target i.e. Amp or drive pedal is already distorting, in which case it will cause it to compress and get more distorted/saturated.

Last edited:

Husky

I'm thinking of buying a Suhr Koko Boost and was ready to do so until I saw this video:

.... making me think that it doesn't work well with a Deluxe Reverb, which is what I mostly use. Its boost seems way over the top for clean amps in this video. But, I've read others who have this pedal say that it works well with a DR. I'd appreciate some comments on this combination before I lay down the cash.

This is all 101 electronics and the way the world works, not exclusive to the KOko Boost. If it is a clean or clean mid EQ boost you will make the amp louder. If you are driving an already clipping amp you will increase the drive. No different than putting a boost before or after an overdrive. If you want the Boost and Mid boost to be independent get the KOko reloaded. If you want multi channels for a clean amp the Eclipse is the right Suhr box. The Eclipse is also pretty stupid good when driven by a KOKO Boost.

The RC booster has clipping in it, not a clean boost so it will not behave the same.

Last edited:

OrangeAD30TC

The venerable H.W.
This is all 101 electronics and the way the world works, not exclusive to the KOko Boost. If it is a clean or clean mid EQ boost you will make the amp louder. If you are driving an already clipping amp you will increase the drive. No different than putting a boost before or after an overdrive. If you want the Boost and Mid boost to be independent get the KOko reloaded. If you want multi channels for a clean amp the Eclipse is the right Suhr box. The Eclipse is also pretty stupid good when driven by a KOKO Boost.

The RC booster has clipping in it, not a clean boost so it will not behave the same.

I think the confusion here is that some people see the midboost side and are looking for more of an eq shift. They would like to boost the mids but not necessarily the overall level as much as the koko boost does. Other "mid" boosts work this way. It doesn't make it right or wrong, but what you cannot do with the koko boost is have a drive pedal set low to medium and still have headroom remaining in the drive pedal and kick on the koko for a more booster mid sound without the the level raising and because the koko boost didn't seem to go to unity there was a minimum level of volume increase.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
If you are looking for Extra channels you should look at the Eclipse.

it's on my wish list! definitely sounds more like what i'm looking for, based on the videos i've seen. and like i said... love the badger. keep up the good work sir!

7thString

The entire premise of this thread makes no sense to me. To quote the video: "If I was to turn the boost on this Koko boost all the way up, it actually makes the amp louder than the amp is capable of being by itself."

wtf do you guys want a boost for?? Making the amp quieter than 'by itself?'

IIRC, you get unity gain on the koko with the knobs at minimum. From there you select how hard you want to push your amp by rotating the knobs the desired amount..
Am I missing something here?

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
The entire premise of this thread makes no sense to me. To quote the video: "If I was to turn the boost on this Koko boost all the way up, it actually makes the amp louder than the amp is capable of being by itself."

wtf do you guys want a boost for?? Making the amp quieter than 'by itself?'

IIRC, you get unity gain on the koko with the knobs at minimum. From there you select how hard you want to push your amp by rotating the knobs the desired amount..
Am I missing something here?

i know it sounds dumb... but i was surprised how MUCH louder it got... i've owned other clean boosts that give you some extra kick... the koko boost is like putting your amp on steroids!

Husky

I think the confusion here is that some people see the midboost side and are looking for more of an eq shift. They would like to boost the mids but not necessarily the overall level as much as the koko boost does. Other "mid" boosts work this way. It doesn't make it right or wrong, but what you cannot do with the koko boost is have a drive pedal set low to medium and still have headroom remaining in the drive pedal and kick on the koko for a more booster mid sound without the the level raising and because the koko boost didn't seem to go to unity there was a minimum level of volume increase.
If you want the Boost and Midboost to be separate get the KOko reloaded. With the reloaded the boost is independant, then you have the Q which changes the Q as it boosts. And you can raise that boosted level as well. But, it is still has no clipping so if you are playing a 200W clean Marshall you will get loud !

It is called a "Boost" though. The only way you can have a mid "boost" with no change in volume is to lower the level of the other frequencies. If you just want an EQ shift you want an EQ.

To me this is all expected behavior and if you think about gain structure and where your signal starts to clip and what clipping means it will make more sense.

Last edited:

Husky

i know it sounds dumb... but i was surprised how MUCH louder it got... i've owned other clean boosts that give you some extra kick... the koko boost is like putting your amp on steroids!
There is a volume knob to control that.
And if you are looking to push an already driven channel you will appreciate the amount of boost, otherwise people might complain they don't hear much going on. Once you are clipping there is no place to go in volume, just more clipping.

Last edited:

Husky

Would this work best to stack with another OD or to saturatean already driven amp? I've been eyeing one off and that would be my intended use.
Yes, and if you want the boost to be separate get the smaller reloaded version

Top Bottom