Is a Telecaster Harder to Play Than Other Guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by erikzen, May 22, 2019.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

There's more physical effort to playing traditional Fender style guitars set up in traditional ways but I find a Gibson to be more difficult to play as it requires more touch than I'm used to and the flatter radius doesn't feel right.

Mostly it's just that a different feeling guitar ends up being more difficult to play imo...

None of this will keep Gibson players from absolutely bristling at anyone suggesting that a Tele is tougher to play.

Adagietto likes this.
  2. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

Correct me if I am wrong (I am sure someone will), does a 25.5" scale not have more string tension than a 24.75", etc?

On a Strat with floating trem, the strings give a little when fretted or, that is the way it feels to me.

I think Tele's take little more strength to fret and bend. Awesome guitar though.

neastguy likes this.
  3. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

I actually think a Gibson is notably harder for me to play, I have pretty big hands though. My 335 can be a pain in the ass because it has such a small neck, meanwhile my R9 is a little better but still more difficult than a good Strat or tele for me. I've spent far more time playing Gibsons but ultimately feel more at home on the larger scale.

rhinocaster likes this.
  4. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

Yep, all this. I’d add that because whatever you play just comes back at you, it exposes your mistakes a bit more.

And mine very rarely goes out of tune, and I haven’t had to adjust anything setup wise in years. It’s just a slab of wood, with another more elaborate slab. Simple, and perfect.

5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

No. Next question.

DV52 likes this.
  6. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

Maybe without realizing it you're fretting too hard, which is knocking it out of tune, especially if the action is very low?

7. DV52

DV52 Member

7.25 and vintage frets solve that problem . The action being low is not the problem . Being Pete Heavy handed and tall frets is the problem , pressure makes them go sharp and out of tune .

8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

No. Telecasters are not more difficult to play and don’t really ‘make you earn it’, but they are inherently unforgiving and will quickly expose a talentless hack, immediately announce that a player doesn’t practice enough if they don’t, and won’t hesitate to magnify a player's weaknesses, should they have any. Telecasters are like highly sensitive seismographs that report whatever inconsistencies they detect regardless of how small or slight, and there is nowhere to hide on them, like, say, a Les Paul. It’s just part and parcel to the Telecaster design.

Like a Telecaster, playing a very good sensitive tube amp offers much the same type of "being-seen-in-a-speedo" experience. I’ve heard a lot of players who have plugged into a really well-built tube amp at a healthy volume say things like, “Wow, I had no idea I sounded like such a sloppy soloist…”, and “Geez this amp really announces my shortcomings and telegraphs every little thing I do wrong”, and “Do I really make that much extraneous noise when I play??” Some of that also comes from wanting/having huge gobs of gain, which tends to conceal all that stuff and allows players to be as sloppy and noisy as they want.

burner, Sam Hill and Adagietto like this.
  9. erikzen

erikzen Member

Lots of great responses and, being a new Telecaster player, enjoy hearing everyone's experiences.

The guitar is an American Performer HS. Strings are 9-42.

As someone posted we are discussing two different things, both of which I think are relevant to me. There is a bit of an intonation issue and a bit of getting used to the Telecaster sound and how it plays.

The setup on the guitar is good for the most part. The action is low without any buzz, but the middle and high string saddles were a little sharp. Makes sense that an open A would sound off. It's a three barrel bridge but the saddles are compensated and I was able to get it in tune with a few turns of the screwdriver.

As for the Telecaster itself, it is definitely a very clear sounding guitar with lots of sustain. I can see how this could make hitting a clam really stand out. This coupled with the high strings being sharp would seem like the culprits. While it's a 9.5 radius as opposed to 7.25, I could definitely also be fretting too hard. The frets are jumbo so on the tall side.

a_ribbon likes this.
  10. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Every guitar is unforgiving if you don't have experience playing it.

11. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

If your primary concern is your super smooth legato lines, then yes, a real Telecaster is gonna be fighting you. Get a Tele shaped Suhr, Anderson, or Charvel and go to town..

But if you're more concerned with hammering out some boss Jerry Reed claw picking, or some greasy raw RnR, then a Tele may just be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. s2y

s2y Member

I think the shorter top horn makes it feel a tad less comfy than a Strat. The very bright tone is probably what makes it unforgiving of technique or flawed intonation/bending.

13. aldocello

aldocello Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this because I think it's critical. Which telecaster are we talking about? The fretboards all have different widths and different string spacing. The Squier has a thin fretboard and the strings are spaced very close together. A Mexican Telecater has a bit wider fretboard and the strings are spaced a little farther apart. An American Telecaster has the widest fretboard with the strings spaced the farthest apart. I know this because I've owned all three types of Telecasters. I really like the Mexican Teles but I have fat fingers and the strings are just a little too close together for me. My American Standard has just the right spacing for my fat fingers. I don't have the exact specs near me but I'm talking about 1/32" - 1/16" difference.

14. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I think it can be harder to get a good sound, because of the range of tone from screaming treble to really dark bass. Neither of those sounds are too pleasing. It requires judicious use of tone controls, for me, anyway.

15. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

All my Gibsons have single coils. They don't sound like Fenders. ;)

Truthfully these days it is easier to play many chords on my Gibsons, but that has more to do with injuries to my fret hand than anything else. For riffing and most things my Strat begged to be throttled.

16. portobear

portobear Member

I don't think they're harder to play. When I play my favourite tele I often wonder why I own other guitars.

17. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Agreed. A Tele will expose sloppy technique and chops almost as quickly as an acoustic will.

The tone of a traditional Tele is less compressed than a Strat or LP, which is why, imo, Tele's have such great dynamics and are such versatile guitars.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  18. burner

burner Member

Busted!!!!
    So.....yeah, that's the *real* reason a dynacomp is an important part of my sound.

Should call it the "slop knocker"
    :)

monty likes this.
  19. kunos

kunos Member

with the same string gauge/tuning yes. If string tension is something that bothers you all you have to do is go down gauge or half step and you get your tension back.

20. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

True. It does not bother me.