Is a tubescreamer VERY different from a rangemaster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soldano16, Jan 13, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I'm quite new to pedals and have recently discovered the joy of Rangemaster type pedals. My prior experience was only with a tubescreamer and a Boss SD-1.

I never consistantly liked the tube screamer and the Boss was the best I knew of until I hit the current batch of boutique pedals. I'm using my Lovepedal BBB07 in Rangemaster settings and I find the pedal just so much more natural and organic sounding than either the TS or SD-1.

Maybe it's because my ears are relating to all those old Les Paul/Marshall tunes from the 60's and 70's.

So I was curious - are there major design differences between a TS or SD-1 pedal and something like the BBB07?

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Yes...completely different. One is an opamp based OD unit while one is a germanium boost...

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Or silicone depending on version of Rangemaster ;)

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Well, a real Dallas Ranger Master was ALWAYS germanium however you are right...there are loads of silicon clones out there and I have to assume he was asking about clones since not many people can afford/find originals!

Either way...good call!

5. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Agreed...nothing sounds like an original germanium rangemaster :AOK

6. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

7. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Note that your Lovepedal BBB is ALSO very different from a genuine Rangemaster.

8. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1 on the above responses... i've been using my treble boost almost exclusively for OD/Boost sounds lately and am really digging it...

that said, if you stack a treble booster to drive a TS-type pedal you can get some killer tones too...

9. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I believe (and I could be very wrong) that the BBB is a lot like the Tonefactor Hellbilly, which is a fuzz circuit tweaked to sound like a treble boost into a dirty amp. On their own into a clean amp you can still dial in a good tone, but you can't do that with an original Rangemaster circuit. It only sounds good when it's pushing an already distorted amp, or a pedal further downstream.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

IMO, the biggest differences are that tube screamers don't really add hair... they just compress the dirt. Also, tube screamers don't react well with the volume knob on your guitar.

11. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

:confused:

12. rewog

rewog Member

:confused: from me too.

The Tubescreamer creates distortion and clips the signal.
    It doesn't just compress, or it would be a compressor.
    All Distortion pedals create some compression of the signal.

13. yakuza

yakuza Member

:rotflmao

14. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Yeh, awesome in typical OD situations.

15. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

My tone sounds MUCH more real somehow with a Beano than through a ts-9. Hard to describe, but I find ways of using the Beano in place of a ts-9 type pedal whenever possible. Right now Im using the Eternity burst ( on low gain settings ) for my ts-9 stuff. Its an awesome pedal, buts its... well a different pedal. Better not to pick on this one, as I will get flack over it, but this one knob Beano is soooo... "there" for me. Run it low on bass setting through a Budda wah ( no treble spikes on toe ) and then into a MP DBD or Mojo Vibe... Oh yeah!!!!

Opamps are starting to bug me... except my Timmy!

16. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Very Different. Tubescreamers traditionally have a mid hump that makes strats sound fat, but with a bucker guitar like a LP, they boost the mids too much. The Boss, BD-2, Treble boosters, Xotic Effects...... all sound great with bucker guitars because the don't have the mid hump or you can boost the treble/bass to taste.

The TS808s can sound decent with a humbucker guitar and the right amp since the mid hump isn't as pronounced.

17. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I know they add distortion/clipping, but for me its never been the real "hairy" distortion. Smooth like a Holdsworth or Eric Johnson type sound rather than something filthy around the edges like a Satriani sound, or a fuzz like a BMP.