• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is a used Hot Rod Deluxe with broken reverb risky?

Matt L

I've heard these have major issues with resistors and circuit boards. There is one for sale for $200 with no reverb locally. He says it sounds fine otherwise. Would you risk it, or is it possible that it has or will have major problems in the near future?

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
Most times broken reverb on these turns out to be a bad reverb tank, which you could potentially swap out yourself for under $40.

Echo Are

It's possible, kind of a tough call. I own a Hot Rod Deluxe, one of the limited edition ones(just like the regular HRD except for the speaker & cosmetics) bought new in 2008, and it developed the reverb problem you mentioned about a year after I bought it(due to two big rectangular resistors that feed the reverb and the channel switching circuitry, they get really hot, their solder joints melt, and the reverb goes dead, and the amp jumps to the normal channel by itself if it's set to the Drive channel). Maybe if the rest of the amp was in mint or near-mint condition I might.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
It's possible, kind of a tough call. I own a Hot Rod Deluxe, one of the limited edition ones(just like the regular HRD except for the speaker & cosmetics) bought new in 2008, and it developed the reverb problem you mentioned about a year after I bought it(due to two big rectangular resistors that feed the reverb and the channel switching circuitry, they get really hot, their solder joints melt, and the reverb goes dead, and the amp jumps to the normal channel by itself if it's set to the Drive channel). Maybe if the rest of the amp was in mint or near-mint condition I might.
Yep, this is true. Check the channel switching to see if its functioning correctly. Even still, the dropping resistor fix isn't too big of a deal to a good tech.

Tone Meister

Most times broken reverb on these turns out to be a bad reverb tank, which you could potentially swap out yourself for under $40.
This ^^^

Could be just a broken wire inside the tank that can be fixed with basic soldering skills. For $200 you should snatch it up

Alton

Reverb is a tough call indeed. Nonetheless here are some other questions worth asking:
Is it model I, II, or III? Model III needs the least in the way of mods to sound incredibly good. Models I & II require more mods to realize potential of these little beasties.
Overall cosmetic condition? Tolex in good shape? Grill cloth in good shape? Has the footswitch? Has the original Fender cover or upgraded to road case?
Has the speaker been changed?
Retubed?

If it's in overall good to great condition, model III, has footswitch and cover I would be on it like white on rice. $200 is a great deal!
Actually, if it it's in good to great cosmetic shape, has footswitch and cover I would most likely get it anyway. It's still a good deal, just not as good as above.

The reverb tank, if that is the actual problem, is a simple remove and replace procedure. Of course, the connecting cable or the tube(s) made also be at fault... either way it's a cheap and easy fix.

The HRD is an outstanding little amp on the clean channel made only better when modified (see: Omega mods). The "drive" channel(s) will only sound decent if mods are performed.

Me? I would get it at that price, but I'm capable of some tinkering too.

IM4Tone

If it were local to me, and appears to be otherwise good, I'd grab it in a minute even though I NEED it like another hole in my head! :)

Top Bottom