Is Amy Schumer actually funny?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jay42, Dec 20, 2016.

Is Amy Schumer funny?

1. Yes

140 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

264 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. Who?

31 vote(s)
    7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Agree with Jack Black..his casting in King Kong was absurd.

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

She lost some cred when she ran her mouth at shows. Things you don't really say unless you want to alienate a good amount of your audience. Regardless of that, her humor and timing suck.

That said, I like Louis CK, Burr, Rogan (at times) and for sure Carlin who talked a lot about govt and leadership, but he didn't alienate one side vs another. Same with other topics. IF you have a way to express things and can support those ideals comically, then you can make it work. If you are like Wanda Sykes and say F -You and F -You becuase you don't side with them, well... that's about as career ending as Richards telling ethnic jokes. Hicks was another really good at outlining his rhetoric without sounding hateful. He could say F U without saying it in those words. Amy is far from that.

Even before all her BS, I never found her funny. OTOH I don't find Gaffigan, Amy Madigan, Larry the Cable Guy, or some others funny either. But I do like dry and literal comedy from Hedberg, even Norm Mc D is hysterical. His "heart attack" bit is comedic gold !

ADC was funny with his moronic portrayal of a d-bag. It worked. Then he got sensitive. That didn't work. Even the women disliked him more when he did the changeover. Great comics won't stray, but they also won't alienate by jumping on topics in a one way mode.

Burr has the cut against the grain thing that works because he is consistent. He can lose and audience for sec, then win them back in that next line. That is a good comedian to me. Not many can do that.

CRAIG4FSU, bgmacaw, korby and 2 others like this.
  3. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

Good parts about comedy being subjective. I can't stand Rogan, and Norm McD is completely banal. Nothing that guy says is remotely funny to me, and I've given him multiple chances.

Burr is full on hysterical though. I've loved every single special I've seen of his. Cracked me every time.

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I like her stand up. I dunno if she's the greatest ever, but she's not bad.

She's a pretty bad actor, and shouldn't be allowed in front of a camera imho

massacre and Steinmetzify like this.
  5. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

For real. This is a thing. Tim Allen is an example of this. Funny onstage does not mean dude/chick should get a show. It's an immediate thing.

Building a set for a comedy audience doesn't mean you can do it weekly for a show.

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Burr is a comedic genius !! I listen to his pod casts too. Funny funny stuff

Stev0Griffin likes this.
  7. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

This is hilariously muddled. Are you saying that ADC was great by alienating a good amount of the potential audience? Please clarify.

I've actually never watched her show, so I was curious if it has done as poorly as some are saying in this topic, especially among dudes.

Just looking at the first season, it "consistently finishes as the top-rated entertainment show in all of television in its time slot among COMEDY CENTRAL’s core young male demographics (Men 18-34 and Men 18-24) and is the #1 entertainment show on cable in its time slot among Adults 18-49." The second season did better, from a cursory skim. That's two seasons of successful funny. So... what point were you trying to make about her weekly show not having been successful?

----

This topic is bizarre. People are making a lot of inconsistent points, and tossing up examples which disprove some of them. What's fueling the need for that?

seajay and lp_bruce like this.
  8. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I'm curious how whether or not she is fat has anything to do with whether or not she is funny.

Is Johnny Hiland's weight fair game in playing and gear threads?

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

About two years ago, I had a thought about her comedy that basically ruined it for me.

Is she telling dick jokes, or is she the dick joke?

After that question popped into my tiny caveman brain, nothing she had to say was funny anymore...at least to me.

I do think she's an attractive woman, and clearly she is a successful entertainer, but for me, that moment was like reading the ingredients on a candy bar.

Zappatalist and Grubgoat like this.
  10. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

11. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

seajay likes this.
  12. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I had to Google her to see if I recognized. I did remember seeing her face before, but no clue of anything she may have done.

13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

She just seems sad and bitter ever since Kermit dumped her.

14. teledude55

teledude55 Supporting Member

Chappelle is funny, thoughtful and smart, everyone else is hit and miss

Judge Smails and Stev0Griffin like this.
  15. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

There's not much substance to her schtick. Remove vanity and self-deprication from her repertoire and she'd be left with no routine.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    massacre, CRAIG4FSU and Grubgoat like this.
  16. AD1982

AD1982 Member

There are tons of not funny comedians out there. I just gave up my Sirius Satellite Radio, and there's tons not-funny "funny" guys and gals.

As for good ones; Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Daniel Tosh (uncomfortably funny though) and the cast member of Bob's Burgers, Eugene Mirman. As for a woman standup comics that strikes me as actually funny, I can't think of one. I've seen moments, but nothing or no one that is really super funny. Kristen Schaal is o.....k.....

Amy Schumer... not funny. The whole being a sl#t thing works for exactly one, maybe two jokes. An entire life of sl#t jokes is just sad.

CRAIG4FSU and Grubgoat like this.
  17. Gilky

Gilky Gold Supporting Member

I guess the point is that you don't have to appeal to the majority to be successful.

Grubgoat and poolshark like this.
  18. Seth L

Seth L Member

I think she's smart and funny as hell. Her humor is not for everyone.

Mark Robinson likes this.
  19. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Majority of what?

A-Bone likes this.
  20. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

That's Hillary-ous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.