Is an '07 MacBook able to handle Cubase, Waves (poss. Ableton)?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Jimcord1, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Member

New M-Track Plus MKII came with Waves and Cubase LE.

I'm dying to try this out, as it's light years ahead of my current Flintstone rig.

Problem: I want to use a Mac, mine are ancient, and even if I did go PC route, it's not much better; at least 10yrs old.

My daughter recently bought a MacBook, and it's incredible- so is the price.

So I'm trying to find one I can afford (read:used) and for the $ I can commit at the moment, it pushes things back out to like '07-ish.
    I've wasted enough money to know that there's a sudden and steep drop off between a sensible compromise, and worthless piece of crap.

I do not wish to add to the already large steamy pile of the latter I've accumulated over the years.

It's really all I'll be using it for, I just don't know enough about the current/semi recent past Mac OS's vs. the demands these DAWs will place on a machine.

If there's no way it can cut it, no matter how tweaked, than I'll forget it and keep saving.

If can handle this type of burden seamlessly, then I need to move on the deal quickly.

And I thank you...

EDIT: if the answer is no for an '07-'09, where can I be safe? And specs too please.
    Not dream machine #'s, just comfortable, for a couple years out ideally.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Londonbus

Londonbus Supporting Member

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

It can probably handle the versions of those programs from 2007.
    What is your budget? I'm a crazy good used Mac shopper.

4. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

If it's got enough memory, it'll be fine. Even better with a SSD. My mobile rig is a MBP from that era (running 10.6.8), and it runs Logic and PT just fine. Higher track counts (24+) and an assload of plugins per channel will get a low memory warning, but as a lean mean tracking machine it does just fine.

5. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Member

The most recent Cubase LE, Ableton Live Lite, and assorted Waves Effects as bundled with the MKII.
    Budget is a tough one. My buddy said he'll sell me that 07 for $200- which seems really low, and that's what made me ask here.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't line the bird cage w/$200, but in computer dollars (esp. Mac's) that seems crazy low.

6. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

Which Macbook? IIRC in '07 there were multiple different Macbook's available with different specs than each other. I don't think that was far back enough for them to be the white ones with the non-intel proc's but still, you should find out RAM, CPU speed, and such and post it here. :)

7. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Member

Well that's encouraging!! Sounds like you're really putting it through it's paces too- I'll just be doing demo-y kind of things.

8. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

What about an iMac? You may be able to find one of those with decent specs cheaper than a Macbook with decent specs.

9. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Mac mini mid level model. $700 and specs suitable for recording.

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Just get the newest machine you can afford. This site is a great resource for detailed history of Apple models. You can upgrade the hard drive to SSD and max out the RAM on any machine, but you won't be installing a new processor to a Macbook.
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/index-macbook.html

I sold my Late 2008 Unibody Macbook in September for $300. It had the max 8GB of RAM. It struggled with recent OS needed resources. If you can find anything with an Intel i5 or i7 (Starting late 2010), even if clock speed doesn't meet the older Core 2 processors, you'll be better off.

11. dougb415

dougb415 Member

But he has a MacBook Pro. I'm guessing that for $200 you'll be getting the basic 13" version that can only use a max of 4gb RAM. I have one of those and use it for my live keyboard rig. Yeah, you could probably use it for demo recording, but you would be better served with something newer and more powerful. Oh, those MacBooks also had problems with the battery pack; both mine and my wife's had to have the battery replaced. The CD drive in mine is starting to go. Caveat emptor.

12. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Not advertised but you can do 6GB in those machines. one 4GB and 1 2GB. No idea, but it works.

The battery on any laptop has a life span. The one on my '08 was good for maybe 2 hours of moderate use but it could have very well been 15 minutes compared to others it's age.

If you are shopping used the processor generation is probably going to be where the prices change the most. often times you can get the RAM and HD upgrades on a used machine on eBay for little to no price difference.

13. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I should have clarified - the batteries were swelling and about to leak. Apple replaced them in 2011.

14. Jimcord1

Jimcord1 Member

sorry for going dark on this one, just had a firestorm of stupid 'grown-up' stuff pulling me away from the good stuff for awhile.
    Quick update though:
    I realized that NO ONE is using the PC in our house anymore (thanks iPhone/Pad-ses), so my plan is to drag it down to the music pit and jam some cords in the back of it via an old Line 6 UX, or UV or whatever the heck it is (at work now).
    I know the sample rate is lower by thrice of what's out there now, but for my hack attempts at it, I'm sure I'll muddle through.
    Though I did score a couple SWEET vintage mic's that I'd really like to hear full-spectrum eventually; one needs a pesky DIN 3-pin converter cable as it's pre-universal acceptance of XLR, and the hot/neg posts are reversed, and I believe ever so slightly different diameter.
    (not my actual mic, but same model- even w/same OHSC:rolleyes:)

15. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

If you're not dead set on the Mac platform you might want to check out building a PC. You should be able to build a monster (by recording standards) for $4-500. I don't want to get into a pissing match with people who enjoy them but definitely do a performance/price comparison with Mac offerings.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

The i7 Quad Core processor completely changed my recording experience.

That would be my minimum today.