Is an early silverface Bassman head any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joeybsyc, Feb 29, 2012.

1. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Actually a Bassman 50, no master volume. How would this compare to an earlier blackface model? To my ears it sounds devine, but I can't honestly say I've ever played through a blackface Bassman. What is the major differences/similarities? Anyone else have one?

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Both excellant sounding. FEnder BF tone has a little throatier tone. HOWEVER, the channels,(both) are modable. Tweed, Black face and a handful of different tweaks can really make the amp suit your style. GEt the three prong power cord installed and get ready for bliss.

3. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Thanks... Mainly interested in stock vs. stock comparisons, as I don't know anything about modifying circuits.

4. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Hardly much difference. Bassman 50--a great amp!

[edit] Just clicked on yr. link. Wow to the green Jag w/ matching head!

5. ahab

ahab Member

Not for me.

6. rambleon223

rambleon223 Member

Nothing at all wrong with the early Silverfaces. A lof of posters on this thread are going to tell you otherwise, the reality is if you like the sound of the Silverface in question then roll with it and don't think twice. Don't waste a lot of money chasing a "substantially upgraded" tone by trying to buy the Blackface versions of the same Silverface amps either imo. I have a '71 Bassman that is my main amp and has been for a few years. I also have a '66 Pro Reverb that sounds great too but I actually prefer the Bassman and would keep that if forced to choose between the two. Just play what you like and let everyone else waste their time chasing tones and wasting dollars. Just my 2cents.

7. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Thanks guys! It does indeed sound sweet...With classic Fender cleans and seems to take effects very well too. Was just wondering if I was missing something by not buying a blackface for more money.

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Not really, I own a Blackface, and have used a Bassman 50 in the past. Largely interchangeable, to my ear.

9. jeffhardee

jeffhardee Supporting Member

Depending on how "early" your SF might be, you could (I stress could) have a BF in SF clothing. My Super Reverb is 100% blackface on the inside.

10. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I had a 70 or 71 bassman head that I sold to buy a '66.......mistake! The early 70's head sounded better and I knew it right away. Eventually I sold the '66 and found a magic sounding '65 head. I guess fender was constantly slightly tweaking the circuits(bias, etc) back then. If you like it don't bother chasing 'blackface mods" like the other poster said. just enjoy!

11. acoupland

acoupland Member

BF fenders tend to breakup in a more musical way than SF fenders, but for cleans the early SF are just great (later SF sure can be fine as well but in a different way IMO) and either way the bassman doesn't break up until you really crank it, and its very rare to find a true BF (the bassman was the first to get SF circuit, even many with BF cabinet)

12. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Stupid question, but what type of speaker can came with a Bassman 50? The stacked 2x12 style?

13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Just to offer some perspective, if it sounds "divine" then who cares! Sounds like you have a great amp.

14. strat56

strat56 Supporting Member

I have a 69 Bassman and wouldn't trade it for anything. I did replace the filter caps in it, they were original and it sounds even better!!!! it's an AC568 circuit, which a lot of people frown on but I love it.

15. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

i had a 66 that was cool and broke up real early, but needed some work. i sold it stupidly but recently got a 70 that it a bit brighter, but the clean tone is just lovely. i hardly get to crank my amps up to distorted levels anyhow, so i am more than happy with my sf. it takes pedals well and will be an amp i will hold on to for many years to come....unless i find someone with a bf bandmaster looking to trade lol.

16. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

Great amps!!!!!

17. Rodgibbydc

Rodgibbydc Member

In some cases, difference is in the grill cloth only!! Awesome amps!!

18. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Have a 1975 SF Bassman 100 and 1965 BF Bandmaster ..both great amps , but the 1975 Bassman sounds so good as a pedal platform I have to keep it ..

19. LarryN

LarryN Member

I once had a guy bring over three Bassman heads, two BF and one SF. I chose the SF. Great amp.

20. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Not good.

Great.