Is anybody else sick of this? (warning: rant content)...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cap'nMayhem, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

... It seems like every time I get to a thread where the OP asks a legitimate question, something to the effect of " what can you recommend that will get me tone ABC by guitarist XYZ?" Without fail at least one guy, we'll call him captain obvious, says that tone is in his fingers, and that's it. I don't mean the guys that feel the need to add that line after making a recommendation. That's fine, but if that's all you're going to input into the thread, then don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not disputing the fact that each person has their own tone due to their own techniques in fingering, picking style and other things that ARE in the hands. I've heard guys play through completely different rigs than on a recording and get very close. On the other hand I've heard the same guitarist get a different tone playing the same guitar part on the same guitar, through the same amp. However, I've also heard other guys get very close tonally to someone else's tone through both similar and dissimilar rigs. Do you think those guys stole someone's fingers? No! of course not so do we really need to have a Captain Obvious chime in with the same line every damn time?

There is obviously more to tone than "just" fingers. So stop being a pain in the ass and make a gear suggestion!

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

This discussion seems vaguely familiar. Have we already discussed tone is in the fingers vs. gear? Have we discussed the merits of people trying to control what other people post? Maybe I’m having déjà vu.

3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

pain in the ass is in the fingers.

4. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

Every time I see someone post "The tone is in the fingers" I wounder why they're here on a gear forum and not over posting on the Finger Forum.

5. Guitarded25

Guitarded25 Supporting Member

I'm particularly fond of when a person is searching for advice on only pedal "A" or pedal "B" and instead of offering advice on those two pedals people offer up pedal "C." I know they're trying to be helpful but that wasn't the question.

Oh and I hate how the Timmy or Tim is somehow the answer to everyone's overdrive problems!!!....I have a Timmy and its not always the answer!!! Okay, I'm done ranting.

6. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

They should totally start one.

True, but if they're trying to achieve a particular goal that I feel is a better solution then I am guilty of this one myself.

No pedal could be, no matter how cool it is.

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I like the this-thread-is-over quote, The OP asks a question about an OD and the responder says, "Timmy, your welcome." or, "Klon, end of thread!"

Don't be a douchecicle.

8. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

Except, if you ask the OP he'll say Red Snapper ;)

9. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Or "nuff said".

10. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

Just give him the finger "I got your tone right here buddy".... :bitch

11. Guitarded25

HAHAHA!!! Douchcicles!...that made me laugh. Now if there was just a dual pedal with a Timmy and Klon boost none of us would ever have to search for another pedal....nuff said!!

12. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

Guilty. Actually, I pimp the Shut Up And Drive much more, but each pedal has certain things they do, I've just found that Menatone makes a pedal for most situations.

13. Guitarded25

Could you imagine if Robben Ford were shopping for a new pedal and Alfonso Hermida told him, "Don't you know your tone is all in your fingers. Practice more...don't be a douchcicle!"

14. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Without doubt a valid thread.

I think that phrasing and note selection is in the fingers as a result of biomechanical actions instructed from the brain as a result of the cultural experiences and learnt responses, but tone is mostly in the instrument, amp, effects, picks, strings and chosen settings.

:jo

OMG I think I need a break from forums. Bye and have a happy holiday. :)

15. fritferret

fritferret Member

that is a bit annoying. tone is a combo of hands AND gear, and that's obvious. i mean, i don't know about you, but i need an amp to play electric guitar. and while i can play several amps while still sounding like me, i've bought nice expensive guitars and amps, not simply for their build quality. and, if someone is asking for help getting a certain tone say ford or SRV, the answer to their question isn't to go out and buy a big muff. so i think folks have to be charitable when answers gear questions like these.

16. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Plus the 'nuff said.

I agree 100%- Any one of those is pretty annoying. Can we get a Douchecicle icon and just reply with it whenever someone uses one of those phrases?

"Hands down" gets old quick too.

17. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Old Chinese proverb say.....

He who have stinky finger have itchy ass.

18. peridot1

peridot1 Member

'Hands down' got old long ago. I'm not rich enough to buy every pedal for a certain effect to say hands down 'this is it'.

Gear matters > then what you run it into/with > then the fingers.. for me.

19. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

sig worthy!!!

20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

tone is in the ..... hehehehe