Is anybody willing to take some time off they day to educate me in recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rodrigorivero, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rodrigorivero

rodrigorivero Member

I am a guitar who is just getting into recording, i am 16 and i think it is time i get into recording. The closest i have ever been to recording is just plugging my guitar straight into my mac with a 1/8th adapter and then into garage band. I have a shure sm57 (bought it for live purposes) but really i don't know anything about interfaces and programs. is anybody willing to take time off their day and help me?

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Since you already have the Mac and experience with Garage Band, Logic might be a good choice for software. Plus, Apple just dropped its price to $199, which is a killer deal (even though a few lesser-used options have been deleted from the package).

As for an interface, there are a ton to choose from. It really comes down to which features you need and how much you can spend.

3. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Logic is $199, where did you see that. Just checked apples site

4. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Rodrigo, you have alot of options which is probably causing you some decision paralysis. I am kind of new to this as well, but I have found ways to record from an interface like Line6 Guitarport into GarageBand.

One thing you might want to check out is that Guitar Center was doing Recording seminars on Saturdays last fall, they might still be doing it. It obviously is in hopes of selling you something but you might be able to learn a bit from them.

I think I'll get an Apogee One, heard thats a good beginner interface and it has breakout cables so you could attach your SM-57 to it as well.

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

There have been a few threads about it on the Logic Pro Help forum. Apple discontinued Logic Express, removed a few nonessential things from Logic Studio, and dropped the price to $199.

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

App store

7. rodrigorivero

rodrigorivero Member

thank you very much for the advice, i just checked the seminars so i plan on attending with the other guitar player in my band who also wants to learn. i just want a software to have recording features (no modeling and stuff), how is logic only for recording?

8. SteveO

SteveO Member

Logic is the software that I use. There is a bit of a learning curve to it, but that is true of any recording program. As for how it does, it does very well.

You might want to consider just using Garage Band for a while, and make your first investment an interface. If you do decide to go the Logic route, everything that you have done in Garage Band can be transferred over to Logic.

9. rodrigorivero

rodrigorivero Member

ok, so interface. any suggestions of brands? (again, i don't want any modeling stuff)

10. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

The question is, are YOU willing to take some time off they day to educate yourself recording?

11. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Man, it's totally sweet that a guitar wants to learn to record.

I KEED.

I have the older version of this:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=58

and I'm really happy with it. If you want to record a full drumset with tight mics, you'll need a bigger interface, but for guitar/amps/vocals it works well. It can easily be combined with a small mixer and the 1/4 inch ins on the back to give you 4 ins. Honestly, I see the firestudio's with 8 mic pre's for sale for 200 bucks used all the time. That might be the way to go.

A lot of people bag on M-audio, but my lead singer has a full on 16 channel m-audio interface, and it's pretty nice so that's another option. I have no experience with any other interfaces.

12. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Whats your budget? The apogee duet is great, but thats around $500, you won't get much better quality wise for a 2 channel interface. The apogee one is somewhere in the $200s, similar high quality features, but only one channel, one channel can be limiting though, but if you're just starting with recording, one channel might be all you need for now.

13. rodrigorivero

rodrigorivero Member

I just need to record vocals and guitars, the apogee duet looked great but i dont want my first interface to be around 500$. I am looking in the range of 200-300. I just signed for a recording seminar at guitar center which should help. Thanks to everyone for their advise!!

14. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Rodrigo let me know how you like the seminar. I've been wanting to go myself but my Saturdays have been booked up alot lately. Looks like every week covers a new topic, but I'm sure after the presentation you could ask some questions.

I went to a Cubase demo at Sam Ash that was pretty good, but i don't think Sam Ash has regularly scheduled seminars like guitar center. I just happened to be there when it took place.

15. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I like the open source idea and there's lots of good quality free software out there. Since you have Garage Band, it is probably best to stick with that. However, you should consider downloading Audacity - a freeware program that I use to master recordings I create with Ableton Live and Acid Pro. That with a budget stereo interface should get you going. I have an M-audio Fast Tracks Pro - it ran around $180.

I would suggest you not worry about choosing an interface - just get something and start farting around. Once you get a few basics mastered, you can start to focus on the music and what you are trying to say with it.

The other gem of advice I would pass on is keep your levels down and leave some headroom - shoot for -2db to -3db for your multi-track maximum levels. You can always master to a louder volume using Audacity, but you do not want to have your song waveform all near the maximum level.

17. stump

stump Member

The Line 6 UX1, UX2 interfaces work well, are easy to learn and can be used without the modeling aspects if you choose. They are low cost and work well with Mac or PC. As well, there are some recording forums online that are loaded with all the info you are looking for. I'll post some links when I have a chance.

18. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Another vote for Logic. Which DAW you use is not really very important. Just choose one, and learn it real good.

For an interface, start with something simple. I've got my eye on the Focusrite Scarlet - it's only $130 new and I like the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 I use at work.

19. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

OP - get a used Duet 1. you should be able to get that for 300-350 and it works seamlessly with Logic. also, go ahead and get one of the apple pro training series books on logic and work all the way through it with the demo files. you'll be a lot more ready to get into it after that than you are now.

check out tweakheadz site for a lot of good intro info on recording in general. don't disregard room treatment and don't buy another mic for awhile -- that 57 should be more than enough to get you started.

20. stump

stump Member