Is anyone else tired of all the "D" clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StudioRat320, Jun 20, 2013.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Ok before you guys roast me, I don't mean this as a slight to all the great boutique amp makers out there.

My issue is that there are too many choices when it comes to "D" clones. I fully understand how great these amps are, but with so many choices, where do you start?

Personally I'd love to see more T-Wreck, Hiwatt and Vox (not AC30, but AC50/100 and some of the more obscure models).

Like I said, I'm not trying to put down the "D" clones, just would like to see other amps get as much exposure.

Thanks for reading.

2. jay42

jay42 Member

Do you want more dicussion of those amps or more boutique companies building them?

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

nah... never played one. But I am tired of the TGP 'D' drama.

4. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Marshall Vox and Fender tones are instantly recognizable.
    Dumble tones have this strange allure. Mostly because of the price and scarcity.

Unless a new amp sound is created Dumble tones will be interesting and clone makers will be there.

5. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Wait. You want builders to build obscure amps? The ac50 and ac100 are incredibly unsellable here.

6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

I think there are so many Dumble clones because they are actually "boutique" amps you can buy that don't cost more than what they are a clone of.

7. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

There are a lot of those other amp types you mentioned. They just aren't as discussed here.

8. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Are you talking too many builders or different circuits? With builders, the cream rises to the top. Most know who they are and who to stay away from........

As for circuits, people are just cloning specific variations of which there are a lot. To narrow it down roughly, you match it to the player whose tone you are trying to emulate or approximate. Ford, Carlton, SRV, etc.......

I'm just glad I prefer Steel String Singer type amps. There are way less choices.

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

For me, it starts and ends with Quinnamps 183! To hell with other amps! :)

10. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Way before I ever heard of Dumble amps I heard a sound on records that I liked a lot. Took a while to make the connection that that sound was coming through Dumbles. During that time, I was trying to figure out how to get my amps to make that sound. In my case the attraction had nothing to do with price and scarcity. As for amp clones, I have managed to find happiness, more or less, with pedals that emulate the sound. Even the clones are too rich for my blood.

And there are clones of everything these days. As long as nobody's hurt by it, why not more?

hunter

11. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

There are all those choices available that you talk about. Tonic and red iron make trainwreck style amps. Goodsell has made watkins dominator, supro thunderbold and other "inspired by" amps. Morgan has done the vox thing. Dr. Z and Komet had done the trainwreck last designs and their own thing too. Trainwreck is actually reissuing their amps. Little Walter has done the early Fender octal thing. So many options that aren't D-style amps. Lots of other boutique builders build variations of not so popular circuits although they don't publish it not to be called cloners.

12. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I just played a Sabago SSS last night, Texas Flood. Amazing amp. Based on Mayers SSS. Great prices as well. Check them out. He also does the Ultra Phonix circuit.

Bludo, Quinn, Two Rock, Welagen, and Ceriatone all do SSS as well. Plenty to choose from.

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Uh Oh.

This "I'm So Tired Of D Style Amp Threads" is turning into yet another you-know-what! :)

14. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Folks are making Dum8le clones? Go figure.

15. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Ya, I'd love to try the Sebago. I think it would be right up my alley. I already have the grand daddy Bludo Hi Plains Drifter and while not a clone, a 100 watt Pure 64 head that dances around those 6L6 SSS type tones. I was interested in others but they just didn't pan out.

16. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

I've played through 4 D-style amps and countless other boutique amps. We're living in the golden-era of gear (guitars, pedals, amps, etc.). I can't wait to play through the clones of other great unobtanium amps.

17. bettset

bettset Member

no.......we need more :munch

18. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

Choice is never a bad thing unless there's just too much bad info out there. Sometimes a few fanboys get crazy about a particular builder or people keep repeating the same misinfo over and over. But I agree this is a golden age and we should enjoy it.

Lots of good builders but the guys with the ears are the ones that will always standout customer serivce being equal. I'd like to see a few more cool clones like Supros and the like but with great masters or other cool features that don't take away from the raw-vintage tones. Basically raw rock tones with usable MV's.

But really, if you do your research its hard to not find a good amp nowdays.

19. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

We need more and variety.

Are you not tired of all the Marhsall/Fender clones? Why are those ok, and D* Style is not? Different tone and set up...

20. pozydhar

pozydhar Member

The more the merrier, it does make it tougher to pick which one though. I have a Quinn SDQ Pro, and have played the ODS style Sebago amp too, both are outstanding!