Is anyone here still listening to the 80s Shrapnel releases?

NB_Terry

I really like the first 2 Vinnie Moore albums to this day.

I find them very musical and not really about speedy guitar playing...

I liked the Tony MacAlpine stuff as well, but I still think that the first VM album was the best that Shrapnel ever had.

iamdavea

Silver Supporting Member
Greg Howe is my all-time favorite player. Forgive for me repeating myself, but I consider his 4 album instrumental run of Debut/Introspection/Uncertain Terms/Parallax to be the heavy fusion equivalent to the Rolling Stones' 4-in-a-row of Beggars Banquet/Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile On Main Street. And his last album, Wheelhouse, is sensational.

Of course, I even play that type of music myself. :)
I also was lucky enough to study with Joey Tafolla, great player.
Tony MacAlpine, Joey Tafolla, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore, Paul Gilbert and
and Michael Lee Firkins mostly.
The guys who came after that were less interesting to me. Still liked them too but maybe not a
whole album.

bdonnelly

Supporting Member
Greg Howe's "Introspection", Joey Tafolla's "Infra-Blu", Richie Kotzen's "Electric Joy", and Micheal Lee Firkins stuff is the only thing I really listen to from that era/stable.

On the odd occasion, I'll throw on the Tony Fredianelli nigh-unlistenable album and wonder how the guy went from that to Third Eye Blind....

kmanick

Supporting Member
yes all the time , Greg Howe is probably my all time favorite as well, love Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker, MacAlpine, and Kotzens stuff as well.
Great stuff to jam too to get the chops back up to speed.
Howe's "Parallax" CD is probably in my all time top 10 cd's period. His playing on that CD is just amazing
love the jam at the 2 minute mark of this one

Trending Topics