Is anyone here still listening to the 80s Shrapnel releases?

harry65

Supporting Member
Sure--I still occasionally listen to the early albums by Moore, MacAlpine, Firkins, and Kotzen.

I also like Friedman and Gilbert, but mostly their post-2000 albums.
So of Marty Friedman’s albums in the last 20 years have been pure musical magic, I don’t throw the word around lightly but I consider him a musical genius

I usually have my phone on shuffle while I'm driving, and if one of those tracks comes on I may or may not listen to it, depending on my mood.
I can't remember the last time I listened to one of those albums from start to finish. I'd much rather listen to music with vocals.

fool

Uncouth Savage
Silver Supporting Member
Fine players all, and worth a trip down memory lane for me, but I just can't live in that town anymore
That's about where I'm at. I occasionally find myself visiting, but I'm finding enough new stuff to spend time with I don't hang out there for too long.

sahhas

Supporting Member
Craig Erickson is from my hometown, Cedar Rapids, IA, i used to see him all the time when i went to the music store his parents owned called "the music loft"...and i had taken guitar lessons there back when i was in 5th grade for the school year (long ago).
but Craig was always nice, and welcoming, said just play whatever and let him know if you had questions...he was always playing guitar sitting behind the counter, and he was good!!
when i went away to Grad school in the 90s i think is when his playing career really went off, and i know he toured Europe a bunch and did projects with folks....I thought he was involved with something of a Tommy Bolin tribute...would have loved to talked to him about that.
his parents store closed back when Cedar Rapids had the big flood in 2008, the flood waters got to their area, which amazed me....

No, but I do listen to Craig Erickson, an artist on another of Shrapnel founder Mike Varney's labels - Blues Bureau International - from the nineties.

sahhas

Supporting Member
i used to have this on Vinyl:
1600277314638.png
and listened to it a lot in the 80s!!!!!
i really loved the pic of the Kramer on the back cover!!!! so wanted one of those!!!!!! did get one in the fall of '92 for cheap!!!!
edit: here is the back cover:
1600277424053.png
at the time i had 2 so-so off-brand super shredders....so wanted a Kramer!!!!

John 14:6

i used to have this on Vinyl:
View attachment 278125
and listened to it a lot in the 80s!!!!!
i really loved the pic of the Kramer on the back cover!!!! so wanted one of those!!!!!! did get one in the fall of '92 for cheap!!!!
edit: here is the back cover:
View attachment 278127
at the time i had 2 so-so off-brand super shredders....so wanted a Kramer!!!!
I have a copy that Tony signed for me at the Carvin 60th anniversary show some years ago. Steve Vai, Alan Holdsworth and others were there too. Tony was laughing about his hairy legs.

Trending Topics