Is anyone here still listening to the 80s Shrapnel releases?

Noah

Silver Supporting Member
The two I can still listen to are Michael Lee Firkins and Vinnie Moore Mind's eye albums. Of course Paul Gilbert, Kotzen, MacAlpine, Becker and many others did absolutely incredible solos, but the songwriting doesn't always hold up very well IMO.
(Actually some of Jason Becker's stuff is still pretty awesome now that I think about it.)

What amazes me is that even now, there are players on YouTube/Instagram getting popular playing old "shred" licks who aren't doing anything remotely as cool as what those Shrapnel guys were doing 30+ years ago.

Thank God for modern players like Tim Henson and Mateus Asato who are actually doing something new and interesting with very technical playing and not just rehashing old shred licks.

Last edited:

John 14:6

This is one of the most beautiful and perfectly played guitar instrumental songs I’ve ever heard , the fade out solo!!!!! just simply beautiful...........

One of my favorites and I have the tab book for this record too. Spent a lot of time back in the day on this song.

what mainstream radio plays instrumental guitar oriented music? :huh

Lol, can't argue with that though Satriani and Eric Johnson both got some radio time in the 80s.

Greg did try the vocal thing with Maragold, but they were playing to empty clubs and the band imploded before they could do a second album. Too bad, as I thought they had a cool vibe and good songs.

G34RSLU7

Lol, can't argue with that though Satriani and Eric Johnson both got some radio time in the 80s.

Greg did try the vocal thing with Maragold, but they were playing to empty clubs and the band imploded before they could do a second album. Too bad, as I thought they had a cool vibe and good songs.
the maragold album is awesome! such catchy tunes and insanely tasty solos!

about the radio play though, he played and recorded with a lot of high profile pop artists (michael jackson, rihanna, enrique iglesias, nsync, justin timberlake etc) so we might be hearing him on the radio without us knowing it :D

Lump

Craig Erickson is from my hometown, Cedar Rapids, IA, i used to see him all the time when i went to the music store his parents owned called "the music loft"...and i had taken guitar lessons there back when i was in 5th grade for the school year (long ago).
but Craig was always nice, and welcoming, said just play whatever and let him know if you had questions...he was always playing guitar sitting behind the counter, and he was good!!
when i went away to Grad school in the 90s i think is when his playing career really went off, and i know he toured Europe a bunch and did projects with folks....I thought he was involved with something of a Tommy Bolin tribute...would have loved to talked to him about that.
his parents store closed back when Cedar Rapids had the big flood in 2008, the flood waters got to their area, which amazed me....
I went there a bunch, along with somewhere in Iowa guitars. Craig was super approachable. He totally convinced to sell my blue ibanez(which I got because I went to a blues Saraceno clinic) and buy this strange prs that had come out with sort of Strat pickguard. Craig had gotten the first, black one, and I got the second red one in there store. Was always happy to just shoot the sh!t with you when you came in.

Nobtwiddler

I recorded and mixed a few Vinnie Moore Albums!

One of the best players, and people I've had the pleasure to work with.
Wonderful guy.

Also did lot's of work, (way back when) for Mike Varney, / Shrapnel Records, as well as John Stix with his label "Guitar for the Practicing musician.

Many, Many records!

viper

If it’s anything it’s the Racer X stuff, although I did listen to some Chastain the other day. Forgot that Mystery Of Illusion was on Shrapnel.

John 14:6

I recorded and mixed a few Vinnie Moore Albums!

One of the best players, and people I've had the pleasure to work with.
Wonderful guy.

Also did lot's of work, (way back when) for Mike Varney, / Shrapnel Records, as well as John Stix with his label "Guitar for the Practicing musician.

Many, Many records!
WOW and would I love to pay for the dinner and drinks just to listen to you hear stories all night. COOL to be you. I hope you do not think I am not being sarcastic in the slightest. Vinnie is a huge hero of mine as well as all those guys back then. I took lessons from Shrapnel alum Darren Housholder and I remember Darren telling me he would send his demos to John Stix all the time and get feedback like "you have to make it tighter or blah, blah, blah" and Darren saying "WTF???." I remember Darren saying the guy was such a c@ck.

EDIT: I just read quickly through your bio and saw you have worked with people like Andy Timmons, Ronnie Le Tekro and even did the Vinnie Moore Live album which I may have listed to a thousand times. Highly impressed and wish I could have been there.

Last edited:

pcutt

I'd like to see a cover band or project play these songs mentioned, and more, live. Maybe there'd be a theme like playing the entire Fretboard Frenzy album, or maybe just the players' faves, but either way, I'd be happy. Here's one of my faves that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Last edited:

Trending Topics