Is anyone interested in Maneco Loopers? I just got a Microlooper!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Porkchop Xpress, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

I have been playing with the Maneco Microlooper for about a week and I keep finding new features in this unit. In a way, I am glad that it didn't come with a manual. It is fun to figure out all of the hidden features as I play through it. Is anyone interested in hearing some clips?

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

I've been looking at them for a while.

How is the build quality?

Did you order direct or buy used?
    Be interested to know the wait time.

Clips would be awesome!

3. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Before I posted these I just wanted to let you know that I just got the Microlooper and have been playing with it for no more than an hour a day for the last week. The Maneco products don't come with manuals yet (Tom Hughs aka Analog Tom aka Non-Digital Tom the author of "Analogman's guide to Vintage Effects" is in the process of writing some manuals; he is the one I bought this pedal from) so each time I use this pedal, I find something new.
    It seems to be built like a tank. Mind you I have only had it for a short time. I love the big foot switches because I have size 15 feet. The only concern I have right now is for the smaller switches like the memory save toggle and the mode toggle switches. As long as it isn't abused I should have no problems.
    There is some noise when running through this pedal, but not enough to keep me away from it. The filter sections are great and although it is digital, it sounds as analog as anything I have heard.
    One of the biggest suprises that I have found on the Microlooper is the fact that it is also an incredible analog sounding delay that can also ust the filter and has tap tempo! It doesn't mention this anywhere on the website, so you can imagine how happy I was to find this feature. The delay has all the tone of analog, all the advantages of digital and has the filter section to add an extra bonus. I think I have been using the delay more than the looper so far. It also self-oscillates without effort.
    It has an awesome reverse feature that I haven't even begun to explore yet and an expression pedal jack to manipulate the "cutoff" of the filter section during delays and/or loops.
    Here is some of the clips I made this week, the titles should pretty much say it all. Sorry about the bad playing, I have already had one guy tell me I sounded like "a kid at Sam Ash". I didn't think they were that bad, but I just wanted to give a warning:dude :

some self oscillation and delays
    regular looping with a sweep delay before looper
    looping (filter changes) with a little more self oscillation

Sorry about the clipping in the delays on this one. The levels were fine when I mixed it down, but when I posted the clip, the echos are distorting like crazy:
    clipping delays

Just flipping through the mode switch between regluar/bandpass and lowpass modes. You should be able to hear the changes pretty easily when I flip the switch:
    Filter delays

Here is a post from a different forum that explains this clip:

OK, I just found a new feature by accident!

I actually caught this one when I had the computer on record and didn't even know it. That's what I get for recording on a laptop I guess. The file was HUGE when I finally realized that I had it recording, but I'm glad I did so you can hear what I'm talking about.
    I just realized that the delay has a "hold" mode when the DUB button is released putting the pedal back into loop mode (from the delay mode). It has a ton of potential for transitioning from a loop to the delay and back. The "hold" I am talking about is when the pedal is switched from delay (with the dub button in the record (red) mode) to loop (dub button in green), a short loop (short meaning as long as one delayed signal) is formed and repeats over and over.
    The clip I pulled from the HUGE audio file I made starts during one of the "short loops" and you can hear it go into regular bandpass delay mode. At the end I hit back into that "short loop" which sounds, at first listen, like normal self-oscillation.

**disclaimer**
    I know the playing is ******. I was twisting knobs and such throughout the clip and wasn't paying much heed to song structure and all that good stuff. It also gets very sloppy and redundant at points. I'm just trying to get the point across.

I will try to get a more thought out clip in the future to show what I mean by transitioning between loops and delayed signals. For now, you should get the main point.

Here's the clip: screwing around

4. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

I'll post more clips as I make them if anyone is interested.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'd love to hear some more clips. Don't worry about the playing, dude; it's fine. I just really appreciate getting a chance to hear it finally

6. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Cool, I will post more clips when I get the time to play with the pedal more.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Nice.. Sounds like the *old* style loopers that are basically delay based in design.

That's what I like about my Lexicon JamMan & Boomerang, and it's what I'm most comfortable working with.

Of course I've got the new ones from Boss & DigiTech, but they're just not as much fun.

The old ones feel like musical instruments & the new ones feel like computers. If that's the way looping's going, I may as well break down and get recording software for my PC (I'm still using tape!?!).

Great to hear someone's keeping the *tradition* alive. I thought that Maneco's stuff was really pricey and almost impossible to get, but if he's got a distibution deal up here in north america, I'll start saving up for one today.

8. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Yeah, it's definitely an old school looper. I completely agree with how you feel about the different loopers. I can't wait to get an expression pedal so I can fully explore this pedal.
    The Maneco stuff is quite pricey and very hard to get. I made a deal with Analog Tom and he sent me the Micro after he did a review of the pedal so he can write a manual for it.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

Thanks for the clips, and btw your playing sounds pretty good to me!

10. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

No problem. I'll try to get more together soon. Thanks!

11. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Here is a couple more basic looping clips. I have been toying with the Tonelab more than the Micro the last couple of days, so I thought I would post a couple of basic looping clips just to bump this thread. One thing I have noticed about this pedal is, It seems a lot easier to catch your loops right where you want them than it is on some of the other loopers I have tried. Here's the new clips, nothing really special about them, but they reiterate the idea I had on page one about looping for practice. Here I was using the looper to hear how the Tonelab's tone was coming out on the computer and to get some ideas down. There is some of the lowpass filter in there. So far, I like the lowpass the best because I can tweak out the tone of the loop and add more treble frequencies if it is getting too muddy:

basic looping

more basic looping

12. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Nice work PCXpress! Manecoloopers are now readily available in the U.S. Here is some updated info:

Manecoloopers

13. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Thanks Tom.

In case anyone is interested, I got my unit from Tom and it was A1 customer service. I believe that is actually a picture of my Micro on the website. Dammit Tom, now I want the plus. Do you do trade-ins?:dude

14. g-nem

g-nem Member

Sweet- thanks for posting the loops. Bad GAS for a nanosampler is in my future. . . anyone try one? I love the fact that the pedals are both loopers and have tap tempo delay AND reverse.

15. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Yeah, I was a little weary in the begginning because Maneco is a fairly unknown pedal maker and they charge a pretty good amount of money. I was concerned about the build quality and whatnot. I can tell you that the sounds and build quality are absolutely top-notch. I don't think you will regret buying the Nonosampler. It looks like a kick ass pedal.
    I love the fact that it is a looper and tap tempo delay with all of the extra features. I could spend a year tweaking this thing.

16. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Yeah, I'm really knocked out by these things. A Manecolooper is like having an original Electro-Harmonix 16-Second Delay, a Line6 DL4, a Z Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky, a Boss VB-2, and a Deluxe Memory Man all in one box.

17. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Is anyone interested in more clips?

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

Sure...

19. g-nem

g-nem Member

Yeah- more clips. I just checked out all the old ones again and they're very useful. I'd be curious to hear the reverse settings, and pitch shifting the loop/ delays. Could you maybe do a clip hitting each function with the same lick- starting with regular delay, no filter- then each filter type, reverse, pitch change, looping etc?

20. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Hopefully I will get more time soon to get some clips together.