Is anyone recording on a Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by malabarmusic, Dec 16, 2004.

1. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I'm sure that the eventual release of G5-based Powerbooks will make this a more compelling proposition, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has been running Logic, DP, PT, etc., on a Powerbook system and how well it's worked.

- DB

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

dt,
    Have you any idea of what the minimum ram requirement is for that software on the G4 Powerbook?
    Thanks, Pete.

3. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Hey David, How does your lap top interface with the breakout box? I have a 888...just got a Powerbook.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I use my G4 all the time, same model at dt's, mainly for editing in ProTools.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have a G3 333mhz powerbook running OS9 and a 933mhz G4 ibook.

I've had a lot more success recording under OS9 than OSX, non OSX-native apps need cutting edge hardware to overcome their inherent sluggishness imo.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

My son is using DP 4.0 with a MOTU 828 firewire interface, on a G4 1GHz iBook.

He is having no problems whatsoever.

7. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Thanks for the replies. Follow up question:

If you were starting from scratch after the new year, would you pick up a G4 and suitable apps or wait (and ... wait?) for a G5 PB and an OSX app like DP 4.5, LP 7, PT 6.7, etc.?

- DB

8. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

For mobile recording, I run a 500mhz iBook, with LE and 6.2.2

It doesn't like any later versions, not enough horsepower, but if I only record a couple tracks at a time, I can get away with it. I'm recording the band tonight.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

As to the question about whether it's worth waiting for the next generation, I've accustomed myself to the fact that there's no way to stay on top. If you wait four months, you'll have lost that time and you'll just be outdated in another four months anyway. As of now, I don't know of anything a G5 can do that's significantly different from a G4.

IMO the only time it might make sense to wait is around August, which is historically when Apple releases new models and the old models' prices are cut. It's a nice time to scoop up what had been "the state of the art" a mere month before at a good price.

In other words, I buy when I need to buy and usually a model that fits my needs and is the best value for my dollar at the time, which is not necessarily the top of the line (IMO you pay a premium merely for that fact). That's just me.

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

True enough. In reading about Logic Pro 7, though, it seems to have been designed for a G5 machine. Does it make sense to choose software first and then buy a suitable piece of hardware? Or maybe buy the best HW one can afford and then select the optimal SW platform? Chicken vs. egg?? :confused:

- DB

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

IMO you choose the software platform based on what you want to do, then you figure out the hardware you need.

12. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Although I agree with Michael, I think you need to consider both the software and computer choice of Mac vs. PC equally. It all is dependent on needs. For example, I need to use the internet and do web work with my laptop. I'd rather just have one computer than two at this time. So, it makes sense that I get a Macintosh for reliability issues when using internet. Then I have limited my software options down. It appears that sequencing/recording software is getting so good across the board these days that it really is coming down to nitty gritty like which ones come with better plug ins/price/etc. There seem to be stellar options for PC or Mac. And concerning Mac, it seems a G4 and up would get the job done provided that the processor is decently fast. I'm looking for a powerbook G4 and it doesn't seem to make sense to look for anything less than a 1.33Ghz processor. I found a link where you can buy a 1 Gig Ram stick for $160. So, you could buy a G4 powerbook with low RAM for a better deal and get a 1 Gig stick (assuming the pricing works out to be cheaper).

(see the thread I started about the 1 Gig Ram stick)

13. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

Either machine you decide on (Mac or PC) will offer great software options. It's definitely wise to take a good look at all the software and decide your best options for both Mac and PC, if you are considering both. Then, analyze your options with Mac or PC. I think that is the smartest way to make the decision. Both sides of the fence or just as important, IMO.

14. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

a couple questions/comments....concerning the Powerbook G4 topic............

how big of difference is it going from a 1.33Ghz processor to a 1.5Ghz processor on a powerbook? It seems like people are getting the job done even on under 1Ghz processors...

I read the super drive does not offer double layer support. Since this is only around $100 more or so, one could get the combo drive at first to save 200$, then get a DVD+RW/CD-R/RW drive later on. That seems like the route I may take in case this perks anyone's interest or if anyone can make a good argument to do otherwise.

15. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

splatt, I'll look into those audio interfaces.

okay, but is 1.5 really that much different than 1.33Ghz? I know the "faster the better" motto, but will 1+ Gig of RAM help out more? I'm thinking about just getting the 1.33Ghz plus adding 1Gig of Ram to the stock 256Mb.

Of course, an audio interface with processing power inside it would definitely affect this and allow for a "not as fast" computer to be used.

16. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

splatt, the RME and MetricHalo units look like nice firewire mixers/preamps. Maybe I can pick one up used off of ebay for a good deal. I don't have the budget right now much over $300 for a firewire unit. I may have to get something like an M-Audio unit or Edirol unit or something else cheap w/ decent mic pres, then upgrade to a firewire mic pre rack unit with 8-16 inputs, or just get a digital mixing console that will connect via firewire.

So, for now, I think I'll get one of the 2-4 channel units. My budget is $150-$300 and am planning on getting something used off of ebay. Any recommendations in that price range would be greatly welcome!

17. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

splatt, if you got a sec, I am struggling with a decision right now. I have a good deal in my lap for a 12" Powerbook G4 1.33Ghz/combo drive/768 RAM + external mouse and keyboard for $1200. This would allow me to afford an RME Fireface if wanted to splurge. I'm not sure if I should spend more $ on a 15" model or a 1.5Ghz model (any screen size), especially since MWSF is coming up on Jan.11th and we might see some price drops in the powerbook line along with some hardware upgrades, that's just rumors, who knows.

I want to run Logic Pro7, what's your advice with the cards I've been dealt? I'm tempted to just say fuk it, and dive in with the 12" powerbook for $1200, and buy an external monintor for $200-$300 or so. Oh, not sure.

18. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

One more thing, I just recently realized that the 12" Powerbook doesn't come with Firewire 800, only Firewire 400. Is this going to be a nagging missing feature down the road?

I know people are getting the job done well with USB 2 (another name for Firwire 400, right?), but still a little uneducated.

Peace.

Mag

19. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

okay, USB2 and Firewire400 are NOT the same thing, ulright.

Yes, this offer has been available to me for about 3 weeks now, but I haven't taken it yet. I just don't know how long it's going to hang around, b/c the guy is trying to sell his powerbook to fund a desktop.

Anyway, if I purchsed the 12 " powerbook I'd also be purchasing a larger external monitor, so that's not an issue. I'm just thinking that a 15" powerbook might be a better option since it has Firewire 800 and will put less "chains" on me as I grow into my recording rig. I'd want to get a 1gig Ram stick if I got the 15", so there's that cost on top.

Anyway, I just got some things to think about. I'm gonna hold out until MWSF happens and see what happens to the powerbook line.

peace.

mag

20. Orren

Orren Member

All the Emagic coders have G4 PowerBooks; even if they code on their desktops, everything gets tested on the PBs. In fact, Logic Pro even comes with demos and templated designed for the PowerBook. I'd say that a PowerBook is as good a fit for Logic Pro 7 as any machine.

Well, you have to do a little of both.

For example, if you want to run Logic Pro, it's only going to run on a Mac. If you want to run SONAR, it's only going to run on a PC. So you need to know in advance if you're going to want to run Mac-only, PC-only, or completely cross-platform software.

Once you decide on a platform, then you can worry about which specific hardware model to get.

Orren