Is anyone using a tube preamp stomp box...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clmazza, Feb 3, 2008.

1. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Is anyone using a tube preamp stomp box to push a tube amp? I'm curious to see what the ultimate tone would be like?

I have an amp that lacks the gain in the preamp section... looking to beef it up a bit with something like an Ibanez Tube King. I've used one through a solid state Marshall but never through a tube amp.

Thoughts?

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have used a ToneBone Classic for years into tube amps, the pedal basically is like another channel on your tube amp in regards to tone.

TheGrooveking

3. Occam

Occam Member

I've used a lot of different tube distortion pedals over the years and they really aren't super special. In fact I don't own any of them now.

4. burner

burner Member

I've used the Tubeworks Tubedriver, Overlord, & the cream colored Tube drivers (Butler/chandler) with various tube amps and I still prefer a solid state pedal if that tells you anything.

5. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Years back I had a EH Hot Tubes into a Fender DeVille. Nothing to crazy. I'd take a simple OD pedal in the chain over that. I ended up getting rid of the EH and never looked back.$0.02.

6. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Thanks guys! Much appreciated...

7. brewtality

brewtality Member

I use a Damage Control Demonizer and an EHX English Muff'n through my Peavey Ultra 112 to get a different distortion flavor besides the crunch and ultra channels. Plugged into the amp input, the Peavey sound is still present but with a little twist and tweak. When I use the pedals as a preamp though and plug them into the fx loop, here's where things get interesting. It's like I own a different amp. Both of them sound much better than my amp's distortion.

As for using them as OD's to push my amp's gain, they sound horrible FWIW. hahaha! SS pedals still rule as OD's.

8. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

This may be cost prohibative, and not practical for your use, but I have been using my THD Univlave as a distortion "pedal" for a couple of years.

It has a line out that swithes between line and insturment level, and it delivers the signal post power tubes. It adds harminics like no other pedal I have tried. Plus, you can experiment with various tubes to customize your sound. I tend to prefer it into an amp with at least a little gain as opposed to a completely clean amp. Also, with lvarious gain pre-amp tubes you can really cover a wide range of tones.

I already had the amp, so I just tried it into a loop in my board, and it has stayed that way.

I have had various rack and pedal units with tues in them, but haven't used any for some time. However, a couple of years ago I set up my Digitech 2101 as an experimental multi distortion box. If you turn off all the digital effects, and make some adjustments, you can can use the 2101's foot controller to access a few hundred pre-amp settings. Some sounded horrible, but after tweaking, there were many great choices. Even with the digital effects bypassed, you can use the analog compressor, EQ, and analog distortion choices (2 12AX7 tubes).

Now that reminds me that I want to try the 2101 again.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Out of the several tube pedals I've tried, the Tonebone Classic is the best. It sounds pretty realistic and isn't a bad price.

The best distortion pedal I've tried though, is the BJF Dyna Red Distortion. Is a bit more organic sounding than the Tonebone and is smaller and runs on 9 volts (instead of the someone inconvienient wall wart on Tonebone). Unfortunatly the BJF Dyna Red is quite expensive now, due to exchange rate fluxuations. (Around $400...:crazy, maybe more)

10. danel59

danel59 Member

Depending on my gig, I sometimes use my Koch Pedaltone with a Bypass looper into the front end of my amp. But I like it better going straight into a power amp or the effects return. It sounds and reacts a lot better but then again it is primarily designed to be the front end of an amp rather than an overdrive/distortion pedal

11. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I get all my overdrive from the amp and then to push it over the edge for leads I use a (tube driven) Matchless Cool Box.
    I have found that to be the most effective and toneful "all tube" method for my admittedly "simple" needs.
    With the exception of the Stephenson Stage Hog, I haven't really found any tube overdrive pedal used in front of a clean amp (and I have used several...) being particularly good in producing natural sounding overdrive basically because a preamp, which is what most real tube driven overdrive pedals are, into another preamp has unpredictable results.
    A well tuned high gain preamp as part of an amp is another story altogether...

Ted