Is Apple slipping on hardware engineering too much lately?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Redub, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

Windows is much more prone to Viruses than Apple/Linux Systems! That's really the only legitimate argument for it's superiority, for the average user.

https://www.howtogeek.com/141944/htg-explains-why-windows-has-the-most-viruses/

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

While that may have been true several years ago, the threat landscape has shifted in recent years. Ransomware, cryptomining malware and attacks on the middleware & application layer are targeting both Mac and PC systems these days.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

They’re reverting to the company they were when Jobs came back to save them. When he passed away, I made a bet with my best friend that they’d be out of the computer hardware game in 10 years, max.

They just don’t have the vision without Jobs there to be the relentless and often unforgiving taskmaster.

4. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

Yep. I accidentally wiped out my 2012 MacBook Pro (great computer but sooooo heavy!) early last week. After looking at all the options in my budget (~$900) I decided to go with an MSI "gaming" laptop because of the performance spec and price. I don't game, but I do appreciate the quad core and nicer GPU for photo and video editing. A similar MacBook would be almost 3x the cost AND still wouldn't perform as well AND I can't upgrade it.

And I say this as a long-time kool-aid-drinking MacTard. It's a weird time. :)

Lef T and bobotwt like this.
  5. ejecta

ejecta Member

My son upgrades parts on my Macs all the time. No issues at all.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Timely thread for me as the logic board on my 2015 MBP just bit the dust. I've had great luck with Apple products for 20 years and this is my first major issue. It won't cause me to bag on Apple, though I do wonder about their long term future.

7. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

It's a strange time across the industry.

Improvements in CPU, memory and storage have slowed down significantly.

Right now, a $2000 MacBook Pro is hardly an upgrade over my 2013 MBP (IMO the greatest laptop ever made by anyone). I can't believe 256GB is stil an acceptable spec for SSD storage, 5 years later.

The only way I'd by another MBP right now is if mine died.

Having said that, my wife has stuck by her Windows guns forever and has gone through a bunch of laptops in the 5 years I've had mine. They all suffer some component failure or become unusably slow. Her latest one was Dell XPS something that after a year simply got unexplicably slow. Full wipe and install didn't help.

So last week she bought a new MBP for double of what a similar Windows laptop would have cost. It's smaller and lighter than mine, but has no user serviceable parts, the keyboard sucks, and you have to live the dongle life until all of our peripheral devices become USB-C.

But I'm sure it will have a long, uneventful service life, same as every other Mac I've had in the past 20 years.

zekmoe and MrAstro like this.
  8. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Parts that used to easily come out for replacement are now either soldered or glued to the board. I shouldn't have to to be a certified tech or risk voiding the warranty to change RAM or a battery.

Josh

FusionRock likes this.
  9. OctalSocket

OctalSocket Member

How come we never seen the threads about lack of innovation with Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc?

Are they making great machines? I’m not seeing it.

If you don’t want an Apple, don’t buy one.

10. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

The only people speaking ill of Apple in this thread are Apple people. This doesn't seem to be an Apple bashing thread.

11. ejecta

ejecta Member

That's why we stick to pre to 2013 model laptops here that have thunderbolt and those are very up gradable and perform very well.... but yes you are right the new models you can't upgrade without hassle.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    bobotwt likes this.
  12. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Exactly why I bought a 2012 to go with my 2009, knowing the change was coming.

Josh

ejecta likes this.
  13. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

For the most part, Apple fans like me are speaking ill of their recent direction with hardware. On the other hand, there are some non Apple fans who always feel the need to remind folks how Windows machines are cheaper, bettter, etc whenever there is an Apple discussion. That’s about as certain to happen as the sun rising and setting. Such is life

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    ffoont, fjblair and ckfoxtrot like this.
  14. Rezin

Rezin Member

I bought a new MacBook Pro two weeks ago and went pretty high-ed (not the highest end, which is like 6K, but I did pay bit over 4k for it) because it'll be used for some fairly intensive work. THEN I find out that some people are saying that the core i9 speed is throttled to less than you'd get from the older core i7, when under intensive use.

Too late to take it back (besides, I need it) so I sent online to see what could be done with exterior cooling, and most of the reviews of cooling platforms seem to suggest that their cooling help is marginal, at best. Anybody have experience with this, or recommendations?

15. billbixby

billbixby Member

Not a fan of the .5mm thick Mac Book Pros these days with that stupid f'n bar thing. The last good MBP was the 15" Retina quadcore 16g ram. Which I own 2 of. What's with the thin sh*t apple? I don't want a piece of paper for a laptop alright?

16. Kluch

Kluch Member

completely agree. It's hard to justify spending that much money knowing that if one things blows up, the whole laptop/ipad/whatever is compromised. I was big into apple in college, now... not so much.

bobotwt likes this.
  17. Kluch

Kluch Member

I feel like the iphone is really the only product that still has somewhat of "an edge" to the average user (I'm not talking about photo or video editing, power users, etc). I don't think mac os has evolved all that much. Not like windows has with windows 10 and the touch screen.
    The iphone still has facetime and imessage and they really lock people into the ecosystem. They're seamless and work so well with the phone (and Mac OS if you have a mac). If android could develop something standard (which yes, I know it's much more open development and therefore fragmented) which streamlined messaging and videoing people like iOS it would eliminate "the edge" that the iphone has. My wife and I still have iphones and she has an older macbook pro (which won't last more than a few more years) but I'm all windows these days. Not sure what my next phone will be. Facetime is mighty nice still.

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Two ways to fix that:
    1. Get your IT department to spend money on decent PCs. You should do the same.
    2. Stop browsing for p0rn on your work PC.

There done.
    My lenovo laptop has had zero issues and I run a lot of stuff on it constantly. I browse all the places I need to browse for documentation, and even gear news and never have I ever had issues with viruses. I don't even take care of where I browse.

I had a macbook pro with a battery that started bulging, and a bazillion dongles that are prone to getting lost. Same with my current macbook pro, bazillion dongles.

19. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Google has google duo, which is like facetime but better because you can also use it on ios platforms.

20. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

The other issue as to why I will stay with my current platform is that my interface is Mac only
    LOL! I wish that #2 was the real issue but they have our system completely locked down and blocked.
    YES....I agree with #1!