• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is Bill/Klon the worst businessman in the business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateco

I haven't been following the saga very closely, but after reading the Premier guitar article, i find the story somewhat interesting.

Why hasn't this guy licensed the pedal to a big builder like Dunlop?...or just sell the company.

He designs a pedal.
Sells pedal for 15+ years
People love the pedal...can't make enough.
Demand for the pedal is huge...used prices go through the roof.
Could charge whatever he wants for them.
Then...stops building them.

A business where you could sell every widget you could make and charge basically whatever you wanted for them...really?

BootRoots

Silver Supporting Member
I'm sure that answer is in one of the other 1000000 threads on the subject

ispunk

Silver Supporting Member
If Bill took people's money and didn't deliver the pedals, then I would say he's the worst businessman. As a guy who can't seem to get one pedal built to his OCD (not the pedal) specifications he seems to be an odd enigma.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
To hear him talk about himself in that Premier Guitar article you'd think he's dirt poor. I, at least thought he would made a little money off those pedals.

nateco

To hear him talk about himself in that Premier Guitar article you'd think he's dirt poor. I, at least thought he would made a little money off those pedals.
Must be hard to prototype all day and critically evaluate all those parts in that jig year in and year out.

Does he have a day job?

Maybe he should go on Shark Tank.

jerrycampbell

Actually, I like his style. Builds a killer product whenever he wants and doesn't turn himself into a robot in the process. He is not beholden to the public to satisfy their demand. It's not cancer medication. It's a pedal.
I suppose he would be a 'good businessman' if he ran himself ragged and made sure that anyone wanting his pedal had one. That's not everyone's ideal business plan.

jdel77

And the Bill bashing continues.
He owes nobody a thing.
Why are you all not jumping up and down about why EHX hasn't re-released a Violet Ram Head Muff? Or Boss a re-released Vibrato? Or any discontinued pedal from any maker?

Because they don't need to just because you want it.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Seeing that he could start making Klons tomorrow and probably sell a ton at a premium price, I'm going to say no, he's not.

fahrner

There are good business people and then there are brilliantly talented creative individuals with the guts to bring an idea to fruition.
Very seldom do the two go hand in hand.
It's a classic case and not exclusive to this industry.

nateco

And the Bill bashing continues.
He owes nobody a thing.
Why are you all not jumping up and down about why EHX hasn't re-released a Violet Ram Head Muff? Or Boss a re-released Vibrato? Or any discontinued pedal from any maker?

Because they don't need to just because you want it.
Really not the same at all.

Also...if the Klon guy just retired, instead of doing what he's doing, people might understand.

I don't have a Klon or a Klone, nor do I want one. I just find this story fascinating. It's basically unparalleled in any other industry.

Sean French

Have no opinion of his business practices. He did ceased production for whatever reason.
Thus the reason they fetch the $$ they do.
He is not an engineer or pedal designer IMO from what I learned from the PG article. He needed help then for it's design. Also needed help for the KTR's true bypass switch, which Paul C lent his expertise.
Personally, I could care less.
I highly doubt the Klon has ever been his main source of income.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Give it a break, imo.

Wall Street is full of worse businessmen.

alamere

I don't know him personally, but I've always been curious if he's just a lazy businessman who sits around feeling sorry for himself.. as if he's been taken advantage of.

he wants exclusivity so that he can slowly release his singular product, then every so often he sells them himself on e-bay at the ridiculously inflated pricing. It's totally strange in my opinion.

He must realize that there isn't any magic in the pedal, that it's just a circuit?? but does he realize he could REALLY capitalize from 'The Brand"? The brand is pre-built and is still in place...

just me wondering out loud I guess... the guy and the situation is such a strange one.

As a business person, I'd be more than happy to take a look into the value of his company and consider purchasing it. I'd then re-release the original Klon Centaur for around $4-500 a piece... a true, down to the very last pc, original.. in the original casing type.
The KTR would be shelved, and I'd pretend it never happened as I think it's one of the ugliest pedals ever created.

After the hype from the re-introduction died a bit, and everyone realized you could get a Centaur any day of the week for $400/ea and that there was no demand issues with the new company, I'd extend the product line to include a pedal with more drive (likely a silicon fuzz) and then also a delay pedal that used the same front end clean boost of the Centaur for a gain stage...
I'd keep the new pedals in boxes that resembled the original Klon box, because I think that the architecture of that box was a thing of brilliance. They'd likely also be named after mythical creatures of some type or other...

I'm rambling..
Bill, if you read this, feel free to drop me a line. ;)

BMF Effects

Great tone made simple.
Gold Supporting Member
Why hasn't this guy licensed the pedal to a big builder like Dunlop?...or just sell the company.
Just curious...do we know for certain that's not what happened with the EH Soul Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom