Is black really the most popular guitar color?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Deed_Poll, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

I remember reading somewhere that there are more black guitars than any other color. What % of your guitars are black?

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

None for one reason..

FINGERPRINTS!!!

3. Buelligan

Buelligan Member

I read the same thing years ago. I forget the article, but I'm sure it was in GP magazine.

100% of my electrics are black, all one of them. I just have one black Tele.

4. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The only black guitar I've ever owned was my very first electric, a black strat-oid with a white pickguard. Maybe a hundred or so guitar since then and no black ones. It's a color I'd never buy by choice at this point. But I generally buy used, so if I see something I'm looking for and it's in black, I'd get it. There's only been one guitar like that over the years though and I wasn't quick enough in pulling the trigger to get it.
    -
    Austin

5. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I have 3 basses, 4 acoustics & maybe 10 electric guitars.
    Only 1 of them is black.
    It's never been a favorite of mine color wise because I've always felt it was kind of boring but it plays & sounds so good I don't care.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

If you count acoustics, there have to be more natural type finishes than anything else.

Maybe there is just one black, while there are twenty different reds, for example, that get counted as different colors?

7. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

5 out of 18. A Gretsch 5120, Les Paul, Kramer F1000, Jackson HRF, and a GC-1 Strat.

8. straycat113

straycat113 Member

3 out of 31. My least favorite guitar finish and the biggest selling color. I only have one guitar in a true solid black finish and 2 that were part of EBMM's first LE run of Roasted maple neck guitars that came in a finish called Black Sugar, which looks like regular black until the lights hit it and then it reflects gold and silver sparkles which is cool. I do like a Trans Black finish over a quilt top and love a solid black finish on a Tele like a 62 -re-issue with white binding, but a black Strat is as bland and boring to me as it gets. Finishes get talked about a lot on the EBMM forum and EB has some beautiful finishes and tops on their guitars. But Sterling will always let you know that "Black" sells (as I believe the distributers when ordering ask for a lot of Black) and his other famous line is "Green guitars don't sell" lol.

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

2 of six electrics. You don't always get to choose colour if you're deal hunting in the used market

As a colour I can take or leave it. I think it's popularity comes from being an easy colour to fit in. Regardless of attire or stage dressing black will work. You can't necessarily say the same for shell pink for instance ;)

10. Turi

Turi Member

This is probably it.

I've never been drawn to a black guitar, don't have opinions on them either way.

All the metal heads love them though, so that's a thing.

G&L has a real tasty black ice colour, saw it on their Facebook the other day, pretty nice.

11. Jules

Jules Member

With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    That was my thought as well. Loads of plain wood guitars out there with all the acoustics and classicals.

12. jota

jota Member

I hate black guitars!
    My first two guitars were black but I don't have any of them.
    I like white for guitars.

alane011 likes this.
  13. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Same here :)

14. bismark

bismark Member

No black guitars for me, especially the glossy ones. Visible fingerprints and greasy marks get on my nerves.

15. Rissantti

Rissantti Member

16. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

Ebony les Paul and Black strat/maple fretboard are two classic guitars that will always be desirable/popular.

Alpione likes this.
  17. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

I won't say that color doesn't matter, but it comes after quite a few other things in the list of priorities. Which is to say that when I find a guitar I like enough to buy, it is whatever color it happens to be.

Having said that, four of my eleven electrics are black.

18. luv

luv Member

2 of 4 of my electrics are black. Just worked out that way.

19. JeffK

JeffK Member

2 of 7 electrics are black in my herd. Also, 2 of 7 are white! The other 3 all involve red. Hmm...I need some blue now...

20. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Only one black guitar out of about 15 total. And that was just because it was a fantastic SG Special selling used for dirt cheap. I typically prefer guitars with some color, but having said that, the SG does look pretty fantastic.