is blocking a trem a sin

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Doctor Shred, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Doctor Shred

Doctor Shred Active Member

I say yes.

Trems were born to provide vabrato.

Blocking them is a crime.

:(

2. Zanary

Zanary Member

A sin perhaps, but there are conditions that make it explainable!

For instance-when I was still in guitar sales, a lot of beginners were dead-set on their first guitars having Floyds because their heroes used them. I would gently try to get them going on a stop-tail variant, because learning to play is hard enough without added complexity. Often teims, though, they'd have their hearts and wallets set on the "trem'd" guitar and wouldn't budge.

You can guess what followed: angry, frustrated people in over their heads (often even angrier parents that had actually paid the bill were involved) and didn't want to be reminded that they'd ignored everything I'd told 'em.

SO...in many cases, the trems got blocked while the beginner was still in their early playing stages, then unblocked when they felt they could deal with it.

Other than that...if you want a hardtail, buy one! Trems aren't the problem (okay, some cheap Floyd-knock-offs ARE problems), players that don't understand them are serious problems.

3. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

A sin? No doubt!

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Nope, no sin at all. There is a tonal difference between a strat with a trem and a hardtail. I love the clear, slightly thinner sound, but want to be able to drop D, or tune to open G for slide. So, I block my trem on one of my guitars.

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Oddly enough, I never use them, but I don't block them because I like the sound.

But it's not a crime to block them.

6. Dan Desy

It's still a sin. Doesn't mean that you can't live with a little sin, does it? ;)

7. somecafone

somecafone Member

What device do you use? I'm looking to block mine just for those purposes.

8. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I never understood blocking a good quality one. I used to own a G&L Comanche and never used its trem, but liked the quality it added to the sound. Tuning was rock-stable on that guitar with the unblocked trem, too.

9. Doctor Shred

Doctor Shred Active Member

Many players use a block of wood cut to fit

10. Rich

Rich Member

Blocking is not a sin. But its not the same as having a hardtail.

11. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

If Clapton is God, and Clapton blocks his trem, how can it be a sin?

12. Dan Desy

Yeah, but have you ever heard Clapton playing the score tot he Wizard of Oz? :messedup

13. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Really? It's a sin? Guess I'm a bad guy them. Blocked the up movement, can still go down in pitch. The guitar is much more (as in completely) stable in pitch. I get to do the bending I always liked anyway (never liked the up part), and I've detected no problems with sound.

If all sins are of this order, I'm home free.

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

Oh, H_ll no, it's not a sin! I think it's a REQUIREMENT!

15. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'd always heard that EC blocked them. Jeff Beck doesn't though.

I put together a Strat with a Hipshot floating bridge, and I never developed a feel for using it, and it a was lot more trouble tuning a guitar with that style bridge. So I tried blocking the bridge. Trouble is, blocking the bridge made the sound kind of hard, and made stretching the strings feel stiffer. Made it easier to tune though!

I unblocked it. I sacrificed too much, just to make it easier to tune.

16. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I block upward movement...

I was running into problems where double stop bends were causing the trem to pull forward and drop the pitch of the high note...that bugs me, so I increased the tension on the springs to the point where I can do a double stop 1-step bend on the g string without the trem moving.

That's what works for me....

Cheers,

Kris

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've never liked the 6 screw Fender type trem. For me it just doesn't work. The arm always feels odd to me and it takes more effort to get it to stay in tune than modern two point trems or a Floyd Rose.

So I block the trem on my strat since I don't use it much anyway. Gives more sustain and rock steady (not to mention easier) tuning. I'm not a big trem user to begin with so I don't miss the trem much.

Blocking the trem doesn't work well on all guitars though. I tried it on a guitar with a Wilkinson VS100 and I had to raise the saddles way high and since the guitar is pretty midrangy even unblocked it became a super-mids machine..and despite loving mids I don't like THAT much midrange. That guitar sounds a lot better with the trem floating like it's meant to be.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Only if one uses a shaved down blessed crucifix to block it. Otherwise...it's okay.

19. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

A sin? not in the least way! You get more resonance and sustain, when you block the tremolo. I hardly use mine, so I might even consider it myself.

As long as you can go back, and it is not a permanent block, I don't see how it could be bad, at least to experiment with.

20. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

If you set the guitar up right you don't need to block it.

A trem in the hands of a guy who knows how to use it (iluvstrats) is deadly.