Is carrying a 4X12 really that big of a deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gremson, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Gremson

Gremson Member

I just don't get it. Everybody wants a 2X12 cab that sounds like a 4X12. Why not just get a 4X12. Most cabs don't have any problem fitting in the back of a 4 door sedan. You can even squeeze 'em in a smaller car if you really need to. They don't weigh all that much either.
    What gives?

2. soul1

soul1 Member

I personally dont want my 2x12 to sound like a 4x12 necesarilly, and I'd rather take a 50lb combo over a 85lb 4x12 + amp head any day of the week.

I've always thought moving a 4x12 (especially without casters) is very cumbersome... maybe I'm just a weakling...?

3. novawind

novawind Member

All I know is that after hauling my Marshall 1960A up the stairs to my apartment, it's going to take a damn good gig to get me to move it down and up again.

4. Occam

Occam Member

I have a 4x12 Matamp cab loaded with EV's I don't know what it weighs but it seems to be twice as heavy as a stock Marshall 1960a. I feel guilty for not using enough gear when I take just a single 4x12. Ideally I'd like to bring 2 heads, the 4x12 and a 2x15.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Funny...

I would rather take a head and cab than my AC30 or Marshall 2-12 combo any day.

I have dragged both types to more than my share of rehearsals and gigs. I would much rather pull a cab up a flight of stairs than a 90 lb AC30/roadcase rig.

I see 2-12 combos as too much of a compromise.

I either go 1-12 combo or early Bassman head/1-12 Heritage cab for small gigs, or pull the 4-12 out. If it is an opportunity for a large gig, I drag both the JMIAC30 and the 1/2 stack and run them together. That is a blissful tone!!!

Emee

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

What kind of 2-12 combo weighs 50 lbs??

Any of the good ones that I have dragged around are at least 70 and cumbersom.

Emee

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

Vox AC30CC2 - 76.21 lbs

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C combo - 66 lbs

Fender Twin Reverb Re-issue - 64 lbs

Marshall 1960A - 80.08 lbs

just some useful info.

Personally, I'd always take a 4x12 and a head, rather than a 2x12 combo, so long as I could fit it into my vehicle. For me, though, casters are a must for a 4x12.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It depends on the sitch...and how many stairs you'll have to handle solo.

BTW-My pro reverb weighs in at like 55-60 lbs.

My pedal board weighs 50lbs.

2 guitars and gigbags + essentials weighs 30lbs.

so it may just be that the 4x12 is too much to add to the reality of that. Not so much in and of itself a problem...just in the context of all the other sh*t that comes with me when I gig.

I'd rather have my 2x12 w/d cab and a head rig sometimes. A 4x12 is not a big deal if you have a car, but try rocking one on the subway here in NYC. It helps to know that folks will help with the load in and out too.

Casters are important for ease but they prevent the cab from coupling with the o= diminished bass? What's the quick fix? a dolly?

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If it is too bulky to handle alone, go to the hardware store and pick up a small two-wheel dolly. one with an extendable base would let you lift it from the side for small hallways, etc.

Up stairs you just lift it to each step, rest, lift to next, etc.

Or use the dolly and a helper.

10. clarkram

clarkram Member

a simple answer to the OP.. When you pass 50 yrs old hauling a 4x12 becomes an issue....a reality of aging.

I'm guessing that you are well south of 50.

11. Peppy

Peppy Member

Carr's Hammerhead 2 X 12" combo and Fender's '57 Tweed Twin 2 X 12" combo being a few 2 X 12" combos weighing around 50 lbs.

12. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

Who said anything about combos? I think the OP was about dragging a head and 4x12 vs. a head and 2x12. The 2x12 cabs are substantially lighter and cheaper. Is the sound THAT different?

13. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Doesn't weight that much? Try lifting my Mojotone cab. I work out/lift 5 days a week, and that sucker is heavy.

14. Belmont

Belmont Member

it depends on the type of 2x12 because I have a Traynor 2x12 with Atlec 417 that I swear weighs as much as my 4x12's. also most guitar players are lazy wimps.

15. Noah

Noah Member

I wound up in the ER two years ago for torn connective tissue on my ribcage from carrying a Zwengel 4x12 cab down a flight of stairs and about one city block to my car. I've been pretty athletic my entire life, and a weight lifter for 10+ years but when I was carrying I felt a pulling sensation in my chest. A few days later I thought I was having a heart attack, but it was the inflammation from the torn tissue. Now I ask someone for help when I'm bringing it.

16. AlexF

AlexF Member

clarkram is correct, the answer is simple:
    less than 30 years old = no problem at all
    30-45 years = getting to think about it.
    over 45yrs = its a bigger issue with every year that passes
    Al

17. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

I don't know of any single microphone that can tell the difference between a closed cab with 4 speakers or a closed cab with 2 speakers when close mic'ing for a gig. Given the cabs have the same speakers I'm sure that your front of house sound would be virtually the same. Studio recording with multiple ambient mics would certainly pickup the differences but, live with a single mic????? C'mon...it's just not worth the extra hassle for me. BTW, I just turned 50 this year and I'm a smallish/meduim build (wuss);). I even have a 1 x 12 cab that I use with my 2204.

18. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

CRAP! Now I got that to worry about too. When does it kick in? I'm well past that age and still dragging around the heavy stuff like I did when I was a kid. Does it hit you all at once, like you wake up and think *damn*, that 4x12 is too heavy? Or is it more like a gradual awareness that creeps over you?

FWIW, I like my big cabs, they still fit in the truck and they sound great...

19. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

that's what i was thinking..there's a lot of weight difference from one cab to another. and i can't imagine hoisting a 4 x 12 on my own. even in my younger days i had to get help with a 4 x 10 cab.

but back to your original question, i'd like to set a 2 x 12 (my current rig) beside a 4 x 12 and compare the diff because i really don't know.

20. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    When I get a roadie there will be nothing like it Right now I just sold my 4X12 1960a

complete vintage all birch and ply loaded 91lbs

The Super Reverb I had only weighed 75

No unless there a roady it aint gonna fly

I know its not the same but if I need it I have matching 2X12 Cabs and I run two amps anyway