Is Catalinbread Slipping?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Islander, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Islander

Islander Member

Received this SFT pedal, direct from Catalinbread.
    Does the Stones setting as expected. Happy with the pedal's sound.

The appearance is quite different from what they picture. Much duller.

The attractive blue and white, is now the blue, with a drab grey. I called and he said, This is the new scheme for Version 3.

Not thrilled with this reveal. I thought that I would share.
    Received this SFT, direct from Catalinbread.
    Does the Stones setting as expected. Happy with the pedal's sound.

The appearance is quite different from what they picture on their website. Much duller in person.

He did not have any information on previous versions, or why the change. As that was all, before his time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LW14bSSbKBgpVV3o9

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

You like the way it sounds, but its looks are dull?

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Google image search shows lots of grey ones. Sweetwater is grey.

JumpinBradFlash and GeorgeNada like this.
  4. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Much to the chagrin of a certain group of tgp-ers, no.

Snufkinoob likes this.
  5. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I just got a Belle Epoch from Sweetwater with a nice ding right under the logo, I'd call it B-stock but it sounds and works fine so I'm not going to bother returning it over the blemish, still annoying though. My MXR 10 band EQ had a blemish on the 1K slider slot and my RYRA Klone has a very obvious scratch where the wrench used to install the footswitch took off part of the graphics. Part of the archer bow is scratched off, nice. Bought it from Riff City right before they went under, again, works fine but not happy about another expensive pedal with lousy QC when it comes to fit and finish.

6. Skip Reid

Skip Reid Supporting Member

My Belle Epoch Deluxe was replaced because of bad printing. Yours looks like just a color change to me.
    This was my original and my replacement below it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. thevelourfog

thevelourfog Member

I was expecting a bad printing like above. That sft isn’t nearly as bad looking.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  8. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I would care more about these things if I weren't buying pedals to step on........ repeatedly. :facepalm

Although I *do* get it, because many times you buy a pedal to see if it works with your rig. And if it doesn't, you sell it. And there are a lot of finicky buyers looking to beat you up on price over dumb things like faded colors or tiny scratches on the *bottom* of a pedal....

Again, :facepalm

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Don't think that's what happened.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  10. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

If they sent you a different looking or functioning pedal than what was advertised seems like you have a good argument for a return. Personally I wouldn’t return it over a different shade of blue if it sounds good....but everyone has different priorities.

Kevy_Metal, Snufkinoob and coltonius like this.
  11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

Seems like kind of a clickbaity title, no?

12. D. Redington

D. Redington Member

Frankfort, Indiana (The Crossbones ov America)
    My question is do these really cost $189 brand new?

13. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

All these years I have actually been playing my pedals.

Who knew.

splatt and Madguitrst like this.
  14. rollyfoster

The bigger mystery is why there’s a version 3 and if it includes any changes other than the color and why the dude who works there doesn’t know anything about it.

a person, Wolfboy1, indeedido and 4 others like this.
  15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I dunno... their pedals are boring to look at, IMO, though that's not really of much importance to me anyway.

16. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, what you thought you were ordering (in terms of aesthetic) is not what showed up. That’s aggravating on principle because C’bread is operating in a market where color variations are a huge draw to the pedal buying public. Full disclosure of the “dull” color may have led you elsewhere where the white and lighter blue are still being used.

Now would I return the pedal? It’s hard to say. In Catalinbread’s case I might- on principle. It would largely depend on their attitudes when discussing the disparity in advertisement vs. actual product. If they acknowledged the mistake and pledged to fix it, I’d probably keep it and chalk everything up to an honest mistake. If they were jerks, it would go right back and I’d get exactly what I want somewhere else.

This seems like a big enough difference that they should note it on their site though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wolfboy1, sanfi4u, Tabor and 3 others like this.
  17. rollyfoster

I wonder how much of it is due to lighting and angle. I’m seeing a LOT of grey ones but many kind of in-between white and that darker one. Not even really seeing many white ones.

I’ve never handled one in person so...

Edit: who knows. Looks like 4 or 5 different colorways. Some have different stripes, some grey, white, white and grey...

coltonius likes this.
  18. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

So I guess you get a solid Belle Epoch Deluxe (which looks a lot better on the one you returned) OR knob graphics but NOT both, so strange?! It's not like they're cranking out tens of thousands of pedals in China - this is an expensive pedal IMO so there's no excuse for that. Mine looks closer to the one you sent back, crazy warm killer sounding pedal though!

19. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I think the question is- can we debate about which one sounds most "Stones-ey"? The grey on blue, the white on blue, the white on blue on grey, or the old, crappy looking one? Which one has the NOS Op-amp that perfectly simulates Get Yer Ya Yas?!

20. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Part of what you’re seeing is a difference between versions. The stenciled striped versions are V2, I think. No Stones/Stoned mode.