Is clean octave up/down useful?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bshields, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bshields

bshields Member

Thinking of getting an EQD Bit Commander. It sounds amazing. But, there's no clean octave up/down, which means no ability to feed it into different fuzzes, drives, w/e.

Do I care? What do you guys use that ability to do, on YOUR clean octave pedals?

2. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

how come you can't send it to different fuzzes or drives? there's nothing wrong with fuzz on fuzz action!

if you want clean, the POG is probably the choice.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Especially with muffs.

4. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

[​IMG]

5. zul

zul Supporting Member

I use a Nick Nitro and it has fuzz and octave separately, or together. Ring moddish octaver sounds smoother with fuzz, alone is more analog synthy. Very different shades on the vol pot as usual, both with and without fuzz. Clean can actually sound much ruder.

These octavers are very different from the POG or Boss pitch shifters though which are more akin to Whammy pedals as opposed to the Roger Mayer and Chicago Iron types. The former are 'clean' in the sense that you can use it with any type of audio source.

Both can be 'hot' depending on user. With fuzz or bald (innuendo intended).

6. bshields

bshields Member

Sure, sure. But do you ever use the clean octave sound? Would you miss it if you only had dirty analog sounds?

7. zul

zul Supporting Member

Dunno if you're refering to my post or not but what I was stating was, I do. I use the clean octave with clean, semi-clean, overdrive, crunch, lead, and fuzzed out signals. It reacts slightly differently depending on what kind of signal is fed into it.

I do use the clean alone often enough live and actually do a 70's analog synth lead battle on Whither's 'Use Me' with our keyboardist as a lark, where he has a patch that actually mimics my pseudo tone. More campy than virtuosic but always gets the house hopping. As usual YMMV depending on application.

Apologize for any unintended ambiguity.

8. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I run an Octron and use it all the time for solos. Works well with other drives as well.

9. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Easy enough to just use a POG: put the Level up for drive, keep it low for clean.

10. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

The only 'clean' octave pedals are the digital/polyphonic variety, like the POG. All analog/monophonic octave pedals (Foxx or Octavia for example) have some degree of fuzz/distortion. I like and use both heavily.

However, some analog octave fuzz pedals can get pretty clean. My Octron can get mostly clean, which is how I set it. I prefer the Ultimate Octave set with plenty of fuzz though. IMO, all analog octave pedals sound better stacked with more dirt, or at least into an overdriven amp. Octave fuzz, unlike other fuzzes, easily stacks with almost any kind of dirt pedal. More dirt actually smoothes them out more IMO. On the other hand, the digital Micro POG sounds great with most dirt too. Both kinds suit different sounds for me.

11. td2243

td2243 Member

Get the Bit Commander and let me know how it is. It sounds killer. POGs are cool, but I think Earthquaker Devices is just a more ballsy company. I think the beauty of the Bit Commander IS the sick fuzz tone it combines with the octaves.

Anyway, who says you can't send that signal into another fuzz?

12. bshields

bshields Member

Good calls, all. Maybe I'll just get the bit commander and tell you how it is :p

13. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I would love to add a Bit Commander to my collection. Let us know what dirt pedals you try stacking it with!

14. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

If you want a clean polyphonic octave pedal other than the POG, wait til March. EQD has the organizer coming out and it the functionality seems to be somewhere between a POG and a POG2.

I was emailing EQD the other day about it and they told me they are planning a mid-to-late March release.

15. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

16. pedalboy88

pedalboy88 Member

I use whammy for octave up all the time. Really nice to sit over other guitars in a band setting. As everyone has says though fuzz type octave is a differnt beast to the digital pitch shifters.

17. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Does it have SubBass and detune sliders?

18. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

19. bshields

bshields Member

It's an organ emulator, it always adds chorusy warble. Idk about it

20. 10strings

10strings Member

I just got my Octron. It replaced my micro pog, love it!!