• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Is Craigslist not a thing anymore?

dehughes

Hi all,

Been away from the buy/sell game for years, and when I last was in it, Craigslist was a good local option for selling gear. I have some gear I'd like to move but when I logged into Craigslist it seemed a bit...stale. I have nothing against posting here on the forum (lots of good interactions on the Emporium in years past), but some of the stuff I'd like to move is best sold in person (large cabs, guitars with character, etc..) so I'm curious what people are using these days.

Reverb? Ebay? Craigslist still? Lemme know what you all find works. And sorry about posting this here...wasn't sure where to put it.

Thanks in advance.

RC Mike

I’ve bought two great guitars off of CL in the last few months. One locally, one that got shipped from out of state.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Really depends on what you have. Craigslist. Facebook marketplace. Facebook gear talk classifieds. TGP. Reverb. All good outlets.

Whittlez

Silver Supporting Member
In Seattle CL has a VERY high flake/serious buyer ratio vs Offerup and FB marketplace

all are free

I’ve sold about 40 guitars recently and almost all were FB anf OfferUp

I’ll scan CL for buying opps though

j_el_jee

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve bought and sold almost 5k worth of stuff on CL in the last few months. So yeah, it’s still a thing.

deepcove17

CL is where I buy my used gear.....probably not bad idea considering the amount of " I got scammed online" posts I see lately....

Depends on your locale - here, Craigslist is still the best selection - lots of great stuff available, from entry level to boutique.
I agree
The Vancouver craigslist is quite spectacular - I have bought and sold everything from boutique amps and pickups to more mundane stuff.
For comparison I've looked at LA and Seattle and Toronto craigslist's and they pale in comparison

vashondan

Silver Supporting Member
Recently sold a guitar and an amp on CL Seattle quickly and easily. Have never purchased anything.

GK34

I still use Craigslist. I have gotten a lot of low ballers, but I have noticed it really helps to say in the ad that the price is firm. I recently sold an American Standard Strat for what I consider the market price for a used one on Craigslist and bought an EVH Wolfgang Special through Craigslist in the same week. It all went very smoothly.

I just prefer dealing locally for both buying and selling nowadays, and Craigslist seems like the simplest option for that.

Lonnie00

Gold Supporting Member
I still look at CL daily to buy gear but I stopped listing there due to all the scam messages I get within minutes of listing something. I only list on FB now.

PapaPauk

Northeast PA Craigslist is still going strong. Sold a Marshall AS50R amp to a fellow not too long ago, transaction went smooth.

Only complaint I ever have are folks that somehow renew/repost their ads so they are always on the top of the listings for that area. And more times than not it’s usually overpriced gear or just plain 'ol junk. Sorry - guy with a “limited edition” Doritos guitar pick from 1993. I’d give you $5 to stop wasting everyone’s time!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom