Is DDRI still the best all rounder combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Adelbatross, Dec 17, 2019.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Yeah I came in here to say that...I have a bud that has one and it's pretty nice. Handles pedals very well, nice reverb and just good tone all around.
    There are a few mods that should be done to it to make it even better, but are not necessary. The volume taper on it is stupid.
    I would most definitely look at one if I needed another amp.

2. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I prefer tone over features and consider effects loops, clean and dirty channels and master volumes detrimental to tone. The less crap in the signal, the better.

The Deluxe Reverb is a great amp. Any tube Fender amp built prior to 1968 (and many after 1968) is just a wonderful thing.

Tag and LPMojoGL like this.
  3. Coiled

Coiled Member

I own a 68 custom DRRI and it is a great amp that covers a lot of ground. It’s basically a fender Deluxe reverb and a bassman amp in one package. I favor the Deluxe reverb side, but the bassman circuit is great for higher gain and a smoother, less bright sound. The amp takes pedals very well.

You can’t go wrong with any DRRI if you ask me. It’s a classic.

Watch the video below to see how well it nails many famous tones.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2019
    Tag and David Garner like this.
  4. Pseudohobbit

Pseudohobbit Supporting Member

I’m glad you said it before me. Put a creamback or EV in the HRD and pedals for gain. I also preferred my BDx with a CRex in it. Put a Dharma in front and holy crap it sounds amazing loud or low volumes.

5. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

I honestly think it is. Takes pedals well, spectacular clean, good overdrive if pushed, great reverb and trem.

For classic rock, blues and country, if you can’t do it with a Deluxe Reverb, you probably don’t need to be doing it. Preference might dictate something else. Necessity for those styles will not.

Metalheads should look elsewhere though.

Coiled likes this.
  6. GearPagent

GearPagent Member

That amp would be epic with the trem circuit!

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

I've had a Limited Edition DRRI for about six or seven years now. The one thing that it does, it does pretty darn well. However, that's all it does on its own. The Mesa Fillmore 50 combo is a much better match for my own usage.

8. 100sounds

100sounds Member

Yep, cutting the bright cap can help in a DRRI, although when I did it the difference was minimal. Compare the normal and vibrato channels with each other to hear the difference, as the bright cap is only on the vibrato channel. Changing the speaker was the answer for me. Those stock Jensen's can just sound a bit harsh and aggressive in the high end, mainly when I playing clean funky stuff, the attack is too fast and sudden. Some people like them though, whatever works for the way you play.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  9. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Member

I run one with a joyo optical trem. It's great.

10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

OP seems to be in Australia, thus some of the suggestions won't work.

Adelbatross likes this.
  11. halcyon

halcyon Member

It’s a good’un. You could certainly do worse.

12. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’d love to look at some smaller brands but they can be tough to find here in Australia and cost a fortune with shipping/duty/exchange. If money were no object I’d get a Benson Monarch, but that’s $2750 in the US and here it goes for $3600. I figure for that price I could buy a couple of amps like a DRRI and AC15 and run a wet/dry rig for $1000 less and it would sound a lot more expansive and could do cool things with delay etc. Either that or invest in something like an Ox, but again those are $$$ but man do they look handy!

While I love a good, loud amp I have honestly never needed more volume than what a Deluxe provides. The PAs that I’ve seen generally do a solid job and gives me plenty of stage volume. If I’m playing in a band I just get it off the floor and put it higher up. Clean boost gets me to amp overdrive pretty well. I tend to put a clean boost at the end of my chain and use it almost like a master volume so I can dial in the amount of breakup at certain volumes.

That all said, I think I’m going to try some of the new offerings from Marshall. I do love some Marshall amp overdrive and the 5w switch with a clean boost may do the trick without making me deaf.

13. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Member

I’ll also check out the Vibrolux. Seems like it fills a nice spot between a Deluxe and Twin.

ultrasun likes this.
  14. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

When you are able to play it loud: yes. If not, I prefer the Princeton reverb.

15. ZMoney

ZMoney Member

The Mesa Fillmore line is a good option to consider.

16. LeftyGuitarist

LeftyGuitarist Member

I've played through a few DR's/DRRI's throughout the years, including a '65 DR, but I just never gelled with them. They always seemed too...ummm...thin to me.

17. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

18. bsrguitar

bsrguitar Member

I agree with this if you like the DR at 3-4.5. I do, so the clean channel works for me. I think the Fillmore on Clean, G=4.5, V=9 is roughly equivalent to a DRRI at a skooch over 4. From there, turning up the gain roughly equate to a DRRI volume knob from there on out. Plenty loud, but then with increasing hair. But you get a second channel, which is glorious. With an OD & a boost, can get close to anything you need.

*edit: plus you get a mids knob. Way more sculpting.

SteveO likes this.
  19. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

While it probably doesn’t check off the low cost box, the Carr Rambler is the best grab and go amp I’ve found. Not as strident, far more in solid low end, more headroom, eats pedals and superbly hand wired. IMHO absolutely worth the extra dough.