• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is dust a problem?

vintage66

For knobs on pedals and amps, do you worry with keeping them covered? Does it get into the pots or am I worrying for nothing?

C-4

I'm anal and clean off the amp and pedal board after each job.

When I get home, I clean up the guitar. It's easier to do it every time, then to wait and have to do it once in a while, or when I hear dust causing scratchy pots.
But that's the way I was brought up.

Riffa

I keep my pedals clean, too. Doesn’t hurt to use a brush every now and again. I also like to cover the board with a cloth when I’m not playing. Heck, I even got those little plastic jack covers for pedals that have an Output B that I’m not using. Got the idea from a fellow TGP user last year.

Rydock

Yes dust will eventually get into your pots and cause them to be scratchy if your board is sitting on your floor for long periods. I usually take a sheet or an old pillowcase to cover the top of the board when I’m not using it and it keeps the dust off. I also cover the top of my amps too as they start developing scratchy pots after a while. I found it really annoying when dust starts to accumulate over my gear, and covering the top of them takes little to no effort.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn’t worry about your typical dust.

At my job we got a circuit card returned from a customer who said it stopped working. There was grime coated all over it. I had a sample analyzed and it contained small amounts of metal that were causing electrical shorts. I looked up the customer location in Google at it was listed as the second most polluted place in the world (a city in China).

I’d worry about my pedals and amp if I lived there.

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
I hate dust!!!
Part of the reason I went minimalist in my lifestyle is because I hate dust so much. Yes I'm weird.
Dust is my enemy!
One of them anyway.

JackedEagle

I cover my boards with a couple of black microfiber towels that are about the same size. It keeps the dust off while not in use and doesn't look ridiculous.

adolan

I keep a nice soft bristle paint brush near my gear. I brush off the foot dust etc after each session. I keep all my gear covered as well, yrs ago i didnt but i am a lil older and a lil crazier :p

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Dust is a hassle but probably not so problematic. When it comes to pots I think oxidation is probably more of an issue.

DonaldDemon

I do the same.
Dust can get into all kinds of places, doesn't hurt to cover up your gear when not in use (and I'm far from being anal about my gear).
I'm far from anal about my gear too. I've had issues with my volume and wah pedals getting dust in the pots so this helps mitigate a bit. I also use a fancy tapestry (like the hippies) to cover it so it looks kind of nice.

Rydock

For amps, if it came with a cover, I just fold it so that it covers the top panel controls. No need to completely cover the entire amp.

SubApathy

Silver Supporting Member
I do the same.
Dust can get into all kinds of places, doesn't hurt to cover up your gear when not in use (and I'm far from being anal about my gear).
I haven't covered my board in a couple of months. You've encouraged me to start up again.

stanshall

I put the pedals back in their boxes and plastic bags every time, then into their gear bags or storage boxes, guitars always back in their cases ... never had a pedalboard, my methods take a bit of time but the gear stays immaculately clean ... wipe off the frets and board and tuners too ....

if I left them out the salt air would start doing a number on everything, it would be worse than dust

Trending Topics