Is Ebay still the best way to sell your stuff?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by harpinon, Apr 26, 2015.

1. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I have not sold stuff in years, but my kid wants to sell some computer asessories. Craigslist had no results, so I'm going to have to sell online.

So other than ebay and amazon, what other options do I have? Is ebay still plagued with the buyers scamming sellers?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

It's not the best, but you can sell things there that don't sell anywhere else.

3. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

eBay still has the broadest reach but check out Reverb.com if you haven't already. The fees are lower and I find the buyers and sellers who frequent that site are much less maintenance intensive. It is becoming more difficult for me to justify continuing to use eBay - with their ever increasing fees and changing policies that seem heavily weighted in favor of buyers.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

GCDEF is on fire today. I wish the emporium worked better, and when it does, I wish Reverb worked better, and when it doesn't, I wish Craiglist worked better, but when it doesn't, eBay gets the job done.

5. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I use eBay all the time. I've had only two attempted scams in well over 100 sales, both were resolved quickly through eBay. I had one issue with an item I bought and the seller took care of it appropriately. I wouldn't hesitate to use eBay. If you are dealing with a buyer that has lots of good transactions you won't have a problem.

CL is full of nut jobs, but, I sold my Mesa and my Taylor with no problem. Ya just have to be aware and choose who you deal with carefully.

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

This.

I've recently bought and sold on Reverb, and have done plenty here over the years. However, Ebay is by far the largest market, and you pay for that privilege.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

For the computer accessories the OP mentions, eBay probably is the better choice if CraigsList was a bust.
    Anything music related begins here with TGP emporiums, then Reverb, then CL. Haven't sold any guitar gear on eBay in several years.

Consider grouping into lots.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I do too, but people don't seem to buy there unless they get phenomenal deals, so it's like the emporium only with the added 3.5% kicker.

10. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I don't think Reverb is going to help sell his computer accessories....

11. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I found Reverb worked well for selling things quickly, but do expect to be low-balled. One pedal I list I got a $30-off lowball offer in 20 minutes. I wrote back "I just listed it, at least wait a couple days before you offer a lower price" But on the response it asked me to make a "counteroffer" so I wrote in the listed price with just $10 off and he took it then.

Most people who bought got items at lower than listed prices, it seems to be the thing to do there.

I did have people followup with me in 3 out of four cases with complaints, one valid, the others having to do with software updates that were not really my responsibility, etc.

But everyone gave me 5 stars. Just expect it to be a little high-maintenance.

Ebay - we found some disney dollars on a Saturday, listed them on eBay and had them sold with BIN within 20 minutes. It is great for specialized stuff.

12. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Nothing is harder to sell these days than computer accessories unless they are still getting top dollar at Frys or other retailers. I would say eBay is best, but the value of anything out of date in next to nothing. It is like CD players - expect $5.

13. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

After more 200 transactions with a 100% perfect record, I left ebay in 2009 when the rules changed for seller feedback. I only sell local now. I used Kijiji and Facebook. I have CL also, but scammers seem to latch to that one more than the others.

LHanson likes this.
  14. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Supporting Member

When people make ridiculous offers on Reverb I just ignore the "counteroffer" window. Of course, if you want to sell things you have to price them to sell. Not like the people who have a garage sale and price everything at ridiculous Levels because "it was Aunt Polly's & it's an Heirloom & is worth this Much". At the end of the sale - most of it is still sitting there.
    I have a had very good (& unexpected) success on Reverb. The only thing I dont like - They won't let you dump or edit the pile of old Messages. You end up with a large Pile of old Garbage.

"I have CL also, but scammers seem to latch to that one more than the others. " - Boy you said it. Within hours you get the strangely worded "I am out of Country, but would want this Muchly" "Will pay more than you asking and my assistant be in touch".

15. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Supporting Member

Well the OP is asking about "Stuff" in general and so I do think that Ebay is the best place to do that, all things considered.

To me, any attempt to present something you want to sell to a large group of potential buyers takes a number of aspects. If you are selling something online you want to reach as many people as possible, have a professional presentation, a relatively safe way of exchanging payment for your item, and if possible some recourse available if something goes wrong. Ebay provides all that pretty well I would say.

No I don't like paying fees either... but if I go hang a guitar in a local guitar shop to sell on consignment they are going to keep maybe 20% of the selling price as a fee for selling your guitar for you. Professional advertising, which reaches prospective buyers costs. It's really rather naive to think that listing something online and accomplishing all of the things I mentioned above should cost nothing.

Yes you can do CL... or something similar... and if you do ( and I have done that too) well... good luck because it is much more "hit or miss". Actually many times I have done CL as well as Ebay. So if someone Local contacts me from the CL listing I respond to that. But I have had much less luck with CL listings than with Ebay.

* If the item that is being sold is a Guitar related item then I think the "Best" place to sell it is right here on the TGP Emporium (all things considered)...and/or one of the other many Guitar related Forums online that some of us also frequent.

And then Reverb.com and Ebay ( for Guitar related stuff ).

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I sell almost nothing I list here. Maybe 10% of things I try to sell, if that. CL is around 40 - 50% and eBay is 100%. I've never had something not sell on eBay.

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Me neither. I agree with Theo; use eBay, group them into lots and unless it's current stuff and new in the box, I wouldn't expect more than a few bucks...