Is everyone still loving their Empress Vintage Modified Super Delays?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coolhand78, Jan 23, 2012.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

considering selling some pedals to get one of these or maybe a diamond memory lane II - but leaning towards the VMSD based on features...

just wondering if those who've had one for a while are still loving them or if they bumped them what for and why?

2. snouter

snouter Member

A guitarist at a show a week ago had the Diamond ML II with a cheap expression pedal to tweak the delay time. Very cool! The Strymon TimeLine is another awesome delay that has even more possibilities.

3. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I've known a couple of guitarists that I 100% respect their opinion on gear who have owned the VMSD and they both ended up selling them after a few months with them. The ML II is more of a one trick pony, but it does that one trick extremely well. I probably sound like a broken record but I have owned quite a few delays and the DD20 is my favorite for it's sounds, flexibility, and value for the buck.

4. npfrs

npfrs Member

I just got rid of my VMSD 2 days ago after having it since June. Great pedal, but I found I wasn't using enough of the features to justify keeping.

Coincidentally, I also have a Diamond ML2 and am looking to let that go as well. To each their own!

5. macruz94

macruz94 Member

A friend just got one and I used it for a few minutes the other day. Without having to tweak much else besides the tap, it was nice and inspiring. i think he sounds a good deal better with it than with his M9. More inspiring.

6. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I just got mine about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Everything I wanted in a digital delay. I use an expression pedal as well.

7. teleclem

teleclem Member

It's a great & simple enough delay with a lot of capabilities.

I replaced mine with a Timeline though. And the guy I sold it to is looking to get a ML Jr instead.

8. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I still love mine. I've had it for some time now. I also have a TimeLine, a DD-20, and a Carbon Copy. They all have their good qualities. The VMSD sounds good and is very easy to use, especially compared to the TimeLine.

9. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

I loved mine when I had it. Sounds great, easy to dial in, and perfect stand alone delay for gigging. The presets were perfect for nailing my settings for every song in our set.

Since having a baby and taking on more work at my day job, I've left the band (sadly). This offered me a chance to play around with my setup. One thing that I always missed about the VMSD was more control over the modulation.

I tried the Pigtronix Echolution for a short while. Sound wise I found it much more satisfying than the VMSD, only because it offered more 'tonally complex' repeats, and could sit in the back a bit better. On the other hand, if I were still playing live, I'd go nuts trying to dial it in between tunes.

I recently swapped that for a Diamond Memory Lane 2, which is for sure the best sounding delay I've ever owned. Gorgeous repeats, incredible modulation, and surprisingly easy to dial in and manipulate with my dynamics. The fact that it switches between two delay times makes it more usable live. I've paired the ML2 with a TC Electronic Flashback for digital and longer delays. Although I haven't really road tested it, I'm sure I could blow through a set with relative ease between the Flashback and the two settings on the ML2.

I think maybe my ideal combo would be a ML2 with a VMSD or Timeline. The VMSD did everything I needed and more, but never really nailed the tone that the ML2 delivers. Now that I've had a taste of the ML2, no way I could give it up!

10. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

I sold my super delay and bought a diamond ML Jr.

I will never look back.

11. EricGay

EricGay Member

I love my VMSD. Upgraded from a DD-20 and the difference was drastic immediately. The wire connecting my tap tempo switch to the circuit board has become disconnected, so I have to fix that, but other than that I don't think I'll let go of the Empress except for a TimeLine.

12. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I liked the standard SD better than the VM. It almost sounded like someone just threw a chorus pedal on the repeats...

13. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

this confuses things a bit coz i'm really tossing up between these two... I want something that is going to get close to my old EP3 but i'd like to have control over the modulation... the VMSD sounds great on the clips i've heard but you can only choose fast or slow where as the ML2 you have depth and speed knobs... arrrggghhh... ;)

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

I had both the ML2 and VMSD at the same time and ended up keeping the VMSD. For me, although I loved the sound of the ML2, I couldn't get the kind of crisp repeats I needed at times that you can get from a good digital delay. And I felt (and still feel) the analog simulation mode on the VMSD is good enough for my ears. I'm also not such a modulation junkie that I feel like I need the control the ML2 affords. The fast and slow modes on the VMSD are plenty for me. Ultimately, the VMSD won out for me in terms of sheer versatility.

15. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

I agree that the ML2 is best paired with a good digital delay.

To be clear though, the VMSD doesn't do analog sim, it does tape sim. To my ear, the tape setting on the VMSD is nowhere near the sound and feel of a good analog delay.

16. justonwo

justonwo Member

Oh right. Good point. I've never used a real tape delay and my analog experience is limited to the ML2. I probably don't have the good point of reference that a lot of the analog delay junkies around here have.