Is Fender Deluxe Reverb right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hotshot7210, Apr 6, 2015.

1. hotshot7210

hotshot7210 Member

I'm looking for an amp that can deliver smooth, fusion rock overdrive tones with the aid of a couple pedals, but still cleans up well with volume knob at gigging volumes. I've heard a good silverface 70's deluxe or a deluxe reissue with a speaker change can achieve this. My main question is will the deluxe hold up in a live situation. Can I hit it with a good overdrive pedal and still roll off the volume to get relatively clean sound, while playing medium to large clubs? I mean I'm thinking these days you don't need to go past 5 on volume anyways because your gonna be mic'd up everywhere you go. I don't need country clean, I just need cleanISH for funky stuff.

I've been playing a modded fender twin for years and it sounds great, but it's too heavy, so I really just need a good 1x12 that will give me great (smooth) overdrive tones but is still loud enough to compete with band. I play lead guitar in a couple local jam bands so lead tone is paramount!

If not deluxe, what's another rec? 1x12, pedal platform, smooth silky overdrive. I've owned a DR.Z maz 18 and didn't like it so that's out.

2. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I would maybe say a Vibrolux is going to fit the medium/large club bill a little better than a deluxe, which may be a little underpowered.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I play in a Jam Band is similar situations.

I have a 70's DR that I blackfaced and it works quite nicely for that style music. Especially after blackfacing the amp, though, it has trouble keeping up with the band at practice (so I use a Badcat Unleash). At gigs, that doesn't matter since its miked.

However, I also have a Mesa Mark III, which like the Twin was too heavy... until I converted it to a head. My band used to say the DR was the best sounding amp, now they prefer my Mark III. It cuts through better and is actually easier to transport than the DR now that its a head and cab.

I love having both amps and I go back and forth on which I prefer: sometimes the DR is too polite, sometimes the Mesa is to in-your-face. If I had to pick one, probably the Mesa.

4. hotshot7210

hotshot7210 Member

5. FFking

FFking Member

Im afraid that my newer 68 cdr might have issues being super clean in a band situation without a mic. Especially in a bigger room. It might work, but knowing what I know, I would probably go a step up to assure clean headroom if I were you. It sounds great though. With pedals can get so many nice tones out of it.

6. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

The DRRI takes pedals very well IMO thanks to it's fairly scooped mids. I'd suggest using a mid-heavy OD if you want to cut through the mix at all. You might have issues with volume as well if you're playing larger gigs un-mic'd.

7. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I'd check out the new '68 Custom Vibrolux. No mods needed. Plug and play.

8. veendog

veendog Member

A Vibrolux reverb or Pro Reverb will stay cleaner and still get nice overdrive sounds with pedals.
    Even with a very efficient speaker, a deluxe reverb will give up it's clean sound a little too early live, especially with humbuckers.
    What guitar will you be using?

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

10. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Mesa Express 5:50 or 5:25 might also work for your purposes.

11. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a '65 Deluxe Reverb from the original owner. Had it re-capped and retubed. Since I was looking for more headroom on high-output humbuckers, I took the FenderGuru's advice. Pull V1 (no need for the non-vibrato channel, put a 12AU in the reverb slot and switch from 6V6 to 6L6 (matched JJs) for power. Then, a Texas heat instead of the (ISYN) automotive stereo 12" the original owner put in after he blew the Oxford. More power and headroom, tight highs and lows and it loves pedals.

12. Davebud

Davebud Member

This. My SG will make my DRRI distort at low volumes if I play aggressively.

13. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

If you can afford it I will second what others have said and say an old vibrolux reverb would be the ticket. A DR might not have the headroom you want, especially if you want to play cleanish leads at band volume. YMMV, but I just can't stand running out of headroom at a show and having to choose between distorted rhythm or being buried. Of course with my BFSR, it's rarely a problem.;)

14. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Also a jamband guy...love my blackfaced '72 DLX RV.

How big are the rooms you are playing in without a mic in front of the amp?

I play a lot of different sized rooms and I really don't think there are many situations where a DLX RV won't work. Maybe an outside fest but usually you'll be able to mic up your amp.

I used to play with a really loud drummer and with a WGS speaker in it I never had an issue keeping up and keeping clean when nec. with my DLX RV.

Now, my #1 is a 50's style S with low output PUs. If you are using HBers, it would be different.

But if you are pretty close with a DLX RV but are worried about a little more volume and headroom, put a more efficient speaker in it.

If that were me, I'd throw a C Rex in there. You'll have more headroom and more volume.

I love the 2x12 cab I have with 2 C Rex with a '66 Band Master.

Also, don't buy a RI. Be patient and find an early 70's SFDR. You'll spend less than $1700 even after you blackface it and change the speaker.

Finally, as much as I love the older Fenders, I also had great success with a Mesa .50+ combo (1x12) and a PRS, was easily able to nail Santana and some Trey tones. I still have it and I ran it cold and was able to get good cleans and fat OD sounds too with an Analogman modded SD-1.

15. 70s Rocker

70s Rocker Overdriven Member Silver Supporting Member

A Deluxe Reverb RI (or original) is an excellent choice for anyone's arsenal.

The electronics are there. A speaker change could beef it up, but you might not even need one.

Love the Twin, but it's a back killer. I got to one gig, and they only had a long narrow stairway up to the second floor. That was the last gig with the Twin (though she's still here).

16. stucker

stucker Member

I think the Deluxe Reverb is generally a better studio/recording amp than one for gigging. Now, if you only need clean rhythms with your guitar volume rolled back and want all your solos and fills compressed and overdiven it might work for you.

For example, the last time I used a Deluxe Reverb, the singer called out the ballad, "Wonderful Tonight". I kicked it off with my Strat and Santanna-like tones were coming through the amp (with no effects) - not what I really wanted but the only way I could hear myself over the loud drummer.

17. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

You don't buy a Deluxe for the "awesome" cleans. One of the best clean amps I've ever witnessed is a Twin. A Deluxe is supposed to drive, and drive, and drive.

18. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

Well, The DRRI takes to pedals as good as any combo out there, and matched with your favorite boost/OD pedal you'll be golden. I really do NOT care for the stock Jensen speaker with my single coils,...BUT, my Gretsch 6118 120th anniversary LOVES it.

I have a 65 amps blue line Cab. loaded with 2x12" Greenbacks (MIC...GREAT speakers btw) that I run thru it also (with the internal speaker unplugged, and the Cab. plugged in place of).

Also note, I'd been contemplating selling the amp. for awhile...BUT it blew a pre amp. tube,...I offered it up here to a member dirt cheap, he passed so it got a fresh set of NOS power/pre amp. tubes (Blackplate Silvertones),...and now it has become my main amp.!!!,...I even sold my Ltd. Ed. PRRI (Green sparkle, w/Celestion Gold alnico that comes stock with that model),...I thought I would NEVER part with that amp. (LOL).

I also use a boost/OD pedal when I use the DRRI with my Tele.'s to help with the Mid.'s. The DRRI is a very good amp., it just needs a little tweaking to make it a great amp., Good Luck. Tom

19. hotshot7210

hotshot7210 Member

thanks for the help guys. I think I will wait for a 70s silverface deluxe and have it blackfaced+ new speaker as suggested.