Is Formby's Safe For My Guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by improviduto, Aug 22, 2008.

1. improviduto

improviduto Member

I just noticed that the soundboard on my acoustic has some build-up and I'm curious if Formby's Build-Up Remover is safe to use on it. Do you have any other/better suggestions? If it helps, the guitar is an old Epi FT-150.

Much obliged!

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I wouldn't use it if it's got ANY silicone in it.

Basic guitar cleaning polishes would be your best bet....safe for the finish...and probably don't contain silicone.

I've heard of people using naptha (lighter fluid) for heavy build up with no ill affects, however I've never done it...and furthermore..wouldn't.

Look at Meguirs (make sure they are silicone free), standard GHS polish or the like. The content of silicone almost assures you you'll never be able to refinish without major work.

3. street

street Member

Virtuoso Polish is about the best I've ever come across.
    Leaves no residue and will return the guitar to original finish.
    I cleaned an old 60's acoustic that had never been cleaned and played like hell.
    Worked like a charm, when nothing else would.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I think anything stronger than a slightly dampened cloth, followed by a dry cloth, could be a mistake. I would not use that Formby's.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Take a look at Fret Doctor.

6. improviduto

improviduto Member

I actually got my first bottle of Fret Doctor in the mail today :)

The site suggests using Formby's to get rid of gunk on the fretboard; however, I thought I'd get an opinion from the wise folks here at TGP for use on the body.

7. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

The Formby's wood cleaner works pretty good on maple boards. Just avoid their wood finishing products like the plague.

You can also use Murphy's pure vegetable oil soap or the old standby - a very diluted liquid dishwasher solution.

8. 57paf

57paf Member

Formby's are great for cleaning unfinished rosewood fret boards. Just the thing to prep it for Fret Doctor "bore oil."
    As for the soundboard, Dan Erlewine recommends that you breathe on it and wipe it with a soft rag.