Is Gibson increasing their prices?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Feb 3, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Someone told me a couple of months ago that his dealers in Japan - whom he bought some of his Gibsons from - told him Gibson's gonna raise their prices soon this year.

Now this could just be unfounded hearsay and may not be true at all, so does anyone know if there's any truth to the claim?

And while we're at it, if Gibson raise their prices, will prices of used Gibsons increase as well?

2. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

You can count on Gibson for raising their prices and cutting quality. That's their bean counter business model and has been for years. As long as people keep buying them and actually think they are like they used to be it won't change.

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

they raise their prices every year, why are people so surprised?

4. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Cause he told me what his dealers told him is insider info. I'm not that familiar with Gibson, so of course I was none the wiser when I heard it.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

the price on them will go up,as sure as the quality will go down.

6. matte

matte Senior Member

i bought several historic lesters last year and the worst of them was excellent. i've owned at least 40 historics and cut my teeth as a kid on gibsons (back in the early "70s). i couldn't disagree more with your perspective on gibson's "business model".

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I don't hear too many complaints about any of the 07's......

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I would be surprised if you heard Gibson is not raising prices.

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Yes, the Sun will rise tomorrow morning.

10. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I seems like the prices Gibson is charging is giving folks a choice to buy a vintage guitar for less than some of the Les Paul historics or 335's etc. going in the 5K+ range

11. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, their prices go up almost yearly it seems, but this quality going down thing is a bit....overstated in my experience.

12. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

I personally only deal with the Historic stuff when shopping a Gibby.

13. Birddog

Birddog Member

I do know that the Vintage Mahoganies at my local GC went up from 799 t0 899 in one day a couple of weeks back. The same 4 I was looking at too -- not some new shipment. The salesperson I was dealing with told me about it as soon as I walked in the door (after having purchased a Studio from her the week before). Even she couldn't believe THAT much of an increase.

14. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

From what I hear, they've got a decent handle on some of the quality problems they've had in the past.

Price increases are part of the strategy, and the MBA in me has to say that Henry and his team are geniuses. They've moved from marketing to musicians only to marketing for everybody (movie placement, cross-promotion with Apple, etc.) to zeroing in on the luxury market. I saw a Gibson ad in a lifestyle mag someone left on a plane...it may have been the Robb Report, but it was definitely geared towards the $300k-per-year market.

In 2005 I saw Henry address a group of B-school students, and he laid it all out; he said, "Without changing product, I increased prices. I doubled prices on some models. Demand increased." He paused for a second, then said, "Yes, you heard me correctly. Demand increased." The students applauded.

I'm not slagging Gibson or anyone else. Like it or not, brand perception is part of the value we get in everything we buy, from toothpaste to automobiles.

15. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't really care for Henry and his way of doing things...as a consumer.

But if I had a product to push, he'd be on my short list of guys to have handle things.

16. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

More than that, most guitar companies increase prices every year. Really, the newsworthy event is when the NAMM show isn't accompanied by price increases.

17. rrhea

rrhea Member

You got that right! :) And nowhere else are brands more important to consumers than here in the USA.

Case in point, a luxury Honda model is called a Honda (and is considered a luxury car) everywhere in the world except here in the US where it is re-branded as an "Acura". Toyota does the same thing with its "Lexus" brand. We are so shallow that we need to rename our Japanese cars in order to feel better about how much money we just spent on our "luxury" automobile... not to mention how much more successful we look when riding down the street driving "x" brand. :)

Henry is simply tapping into basic human nature and our programmed sense of brand, price and quality. It certainly works.

RR

18. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

What's more, don't even FINISH the guitars, slap a buzzword like "VOS" on it and charge more for a guitar that's not even buffed out! Yay Gibson! The Harley Davidson of Guitars. Oh...you'd like it finished? Ok that's X amount extra CA-CHING!! No it's not a hidden price increase, it's right in front of your face if you can look past the marketing.

Ever since that move I've been done with Gibson. It's too bad because I was SERIOUSLY considering my first historic just before that nonsense. I Can't wait til this "Relic" Fad goes away. It gave Gibson an excuse to shortchange the consumer IMO. They were already overpriced IMO, but that was the last straw.

Perhaps I'm alone, but I do NOT want a "59". I want a kick ass, well finished, correctly made (Meaning:Long Tenon and no weight relief) Les Paul with Excellent QC. Not some relic tied to some rockstar fossil that's probably wearing depends now.

It is testament to how stupid people are if he can "Double the price without changing the product" and increase demand. Ahh the power of Branding and Guitar Center...Perhaps if people knew anything about guitars and what makes one quality vs. crap Gibson would still be affordable.

Long Term I suggest Gibson start taking a VERY hard look at Korea, because at the current rate they'll be "Gibson Quality" within a few years for 1/5th the price. If PRS makes a Singlecut 245 SE..look out Gibson!

19. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Where can you buy a vintage Les Paul or 335 for 5K? Unless you are talking about a 70's Norlin with a pancake body, or a pencil necked 335.
    I don't think the present Gibsons are the be all and end all, but they are better than some of their past offerings.

20. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, this year seemed to be a big raise. Some guitars raised $200-350!

The features or quality did not raise.

I'm not gonna say that gibsons are 'badly' made, but yeah, you're lucky if you find one without something wrong with it.