• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is 'guitar driven music' disappearing from Austin's SXSW event?

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't been able to go to Austin's SXSW in a few years but I was told this year hit a NEW LOW.

RAP/CRAP has slowly creeped into one of the 'best events' for rock/blues music there ever was.
Kayne West ( amoung other 'rapper/crappers ) played 2 or 3 shows and he was quoted as saying ....
"Thank you for letting me ROCK THE HOUSE tonight". :barf
HUH?
Rap is now considered "rocking the house"..........:huh

Guitar driven music disappearing from SXSW...........:jo
Yikes !
I hope to hear more about this year's shows.
Can Anyone who actually made it this year tell me that 'everything is gonna be alright'?
:munch

Timmo

Silver Supporting Member
Guess there are too many 'old farts' on here to care about SXSW.
:roll

It is a 'young person game' down there for sure so maybe having Kayne West 'rappin' ' down there is where it's at nowadays.

O well....... PlAY ON :band

awitness29

I saw lots and played a little bit of very guitar driven music while in Austin last week. I don't think it's going anywhere soon.

jtm622

What is Austin's SXSW event???

So Kanye West thinks that he can actually "ROCK the house", huh???
IMO, all he can do is make "the house" smell like the inside of a tennis shoe...

Cheebatone

Heavens to Betsy... :facepalm

"Rock the house" is Hip-Hop expression so old that The Sugarhill Gang thought it was a little passé in 1976. Honestly fellas, not liking Rap is one thing, taking issue with the words someone uses to thank their audience at the end of the show is entirely another.

jtm622

Heavens to Betsy... :facepalm

"Rock the house" is Hip-Hop expression so old that The Sugarhill Gang thought it was a little passé in 1976. Honestly fellas, not liking Rap is one thing, taking issue with the words someone uses to thank their audience at the end of the show is entirely another.
I'm not taking issue with the words that West uses... I'm just doubtful as to whether he is actually capable of pulling off "ROCKING" anybody's house (at least in the "Bill Haley and His Comets" 1955 sense of "ROCK THIS HOUSE" - which, of course, pre-dates the "hip-hop" expression that The Sugarfoot Gang thought was a little passe 20 years after the fact...) :)

Jujo

Silver Supporting Member
Here we go again...with the rap haters. Why give a damn I say? Let people do whatever they want. Everybody sucks anyways, what's the difference?

Hey at least rappers have the good sense not to pick up a guitar to wank on, which more than I can say for a lot of supposed "guitar players."

BTW, I hate Yngwie and Buddy Guy. Just wanted to get minz in too. LOL!!!

Pale Rider

Gold Supporting Member
I bet anyone who hates "Rap"-which should be called hip hop-also hates all the youth centered music that made SXSW such a big deal-
how many of you guys are into Grizzly Bear, The Wrens and Boris?

johnzias

I wonder if they defend SRV on Hip-Hop boards, lol! Good music is everywhere. From Hip-Hop to the Mts. of Afghanistan. I never bought into "validity" as defined by the industry's version of what is au courant.
You feel what you feel, whether it's generational, cultural, or personal.

matte

I haven't been able to go to Austin's SXSW in a few years but I was told this year hit a NEW LOW.

RAP/CRAP has slowly creeped into one of the 'best events' for rock/blues music there ever was.
Kayne West ( amoung other 'rapper/crappers ) played 2 or 3 shows and he was quoted as saying ....
"Thank you for letting me ROCK THE HOUSE tonight". :barf
HUH?
Rap is now considered "rocking the house"..........:huh

Guitar driven music disappearing from SXSW...........:jo
Yikes !
I hope to hear more about this year's shows.
Can Anyone who actually made it this year tell me that 'everything is gonna be alright'?
:munch
your generation's idea of guitar driven music has gotten a much needed facelift. i'll take hip hop, liquid d&b, etc. over the same old same old.

btw, new country should be right up your dead end one way street. i believe that there's a mandatory 10 year delay on any innovation there.

jtm622

Here we go again...with the rap haters. Why give a damn I say? Let people do whatever they want. Everybody sucks anyways, what's the difference?

Hey at least rappers have the good sense not to pick up a guitar to wank on, which more than I can say for a lot of supposed "guitar players."

BTW, I hate Yngwie and Buddy Guy. Just wanted to get minz in too. LOL!!!
Speaking only for myself, I don't HATE rap... Hell, I don't HATE anybody... I just don't care for Kanye West. :)

Mike Fleming

It looks like there were something like 1,800 musical acts playing at this years SXSW, and the schedule shows tons of rock, alt country and singer-songwriters, as well as blues, metal, electronica, pop, hip-hop, etc. With that much going on in one week, it's probably safe to say a person only had to check out rap acts if they really wanted to.

Solomon

your generation's idea of guitar driven music has gotten a much needed facelift. i'll take hip hop, liquid d&b, etc. over the same old same old.

btw, new country should be right up your dead end one way street. i believe that there's a mandatory 10 year delay on any innovation there.
:BEER

I am going to go listen to the Who's "My Generation" in honor (ironically) of this OP.

TwoTubMan

The main instrument in Austin for about a decade has been the stand-up bass. The place is lousy with them.

duckbunny

:agree

Post of the day.

-db

Trending Topics