Is it a good idea to get a separate audio interface to use with the Helix?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rich2k4, Apr 27, 2016.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

I know the Helix can be used as a usb interface, but I've read that it is difficult to set the volume levels for music/sound that is coming from your PC vs the guitar from the Helix.

Since I want to set up a practice/recording rig to allow me to play over backing tracks, I would want to control the levels for both independently. In this situation, will I need an external usb audio interface and then plug the Helix and PC into that?

2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Nope, the Helix USB audio works great for just that. Just route your PC audio using the Helix as the output and monitor it all from the Helix output. Works great, no latency and super simple.

3. m~Dan

m~Dan Member

Not really a problem. Volume of the PC audio via PC volume slider ... volume of the guitar via patch volume (Amp level for example).

4. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

The problem with USB sound levels is with IOS devices (iPad) where the volume controls on the iPad don't affect the USB output and so gives full volume into the Helix which doesn't offer an independent gain level to the USB input. On a PC the volume controls do work, so just use them to balance the sound.

5. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

System volume (the quiet/loud speaker buttons on the keyboard) work on Mac now too, as long as you're running OS X 10.11.4 and the new Mac driver. We'd have to add a global setting to trim incoming iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch volume, as iOS doesn't support third-party audio drivers.

ryansalmond likes this.