Is it a Leslie, or a through-zero flange?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by David MacNeill, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:41 AM.

1. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

Rhythm guitar starting at 1:15. Is that a Leslie?

Rhythm guitar through the whole track, but first apparent at 0:40. Through-zero flange?

Or are they the same? Either way, it will be mine, oh yes.

DV52 and Carlo like this.
  2. Dharmajester

Dharmajester Member

Pete Ham of Badfinger frequently played his SG through a Leslie. Great power pop.

3. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

George Harrison was a big proponent of playing through a Leslie. On this side of the pond, Jessie Ed Davis did as well on Taj Mahals Giant Step.

5. drewl

drewl Member

Considering George gave his SG to him, and it was recorded at Abbey Road, I'd say it's the Leslie set up they had in the studio.

David MacNeill, stanshall and Carlo like this.
  6. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

When I was a kid, I had the good fortune of having an uncle who was a keyboard player and he just so happened to have a Leslie which I was very fortunate to be able to plug my guitar into when he wasn’t around. I miss that sound.

7. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Leslie. On Baby Blue it's a Univibe set to a just perceptable vibrato on the first guitar you hear.

David MacNeill likes this.
  8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I'm a confirmed swirly head. Joe Walsh and Badfinger are why I got into Leslies in the first place. I'm also a recording engineer and have studied the history of recording. There was no electronic flanger available at the time No Matter What was recorded. Flanging was done by running the signal through two 1/4" tape recorders and dropping your thumb onto the flange of one of the tape reels. It wasn't possible to modulate the flanging sweep at the chorale speed of a Leslie. By the way, Joe Walsh's producer, Bill Szymczyk, used both Leslie and tape flanging. You can hear Leslie on "Wolf" and "Meadows" and flanging on "Days Gone By," both on The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get. Joe also used Leslie on the James Gang's version of Vince Guaraldi's "Cast Your Fate to the Wind," in the middle of "The Bomber/Closet Queen/Bolero/Cast Your Fate to the Wind" on Rides Again.

Mine:
    [​IMG]
    Leslie G-37

[​IMG]
    Motion Sound Sidewinder on the left, Deluxe for scale

[​IMG]
    The MKI can do a really great, growly chorale speed.

Yup, swirly head.

Bob

9. Solarflares

Solarflares Member

Enjoy one of the best slide-guitar solos ever.

>........>..................

No leslie , but Joe at his proverbial peak here - together with a mind-boggling echoplex solo , that returns at the end for a staggering finish. This is what the fuss was all about - long before most people had ever heard of him.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM
  10. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Yup

11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

What about the MKII? Did the design change? Thanks.

12. Solarflares

Solarflares Member

13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

As I recall the MkII replaced the latching "breaker" switch with a momentary one. That's an easy enough fix if it bothers you. There is talk that it sounded different as well. Honestly, I circumscribed my response to the MkI because I've never worked with a MkII.

Bob

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have a Leslie. The Badfinger track has something else besides Leslie going on as well. I think I am hearing fuzz and maybe a wah pedal to vary the tone.

15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

That song was my go-to to test studio monitors for years because of that laser-like high-hat on the right. The main figure on guitar that you hear first is played through a Leslie. Sounds like a 12 string, maybe his Hagstrom. Interestingly, basic tracks for this song were recorded on the '72 foot sailing yacht Endless Seas. Joe had arranged a location recording vacation for his friends in a cabin near Asheville, NC, and the cabin got snowed-in. Instead he rented the Endless Seas for a week and they alternated swimming and recording in the main cabin with a four-track recorder off Florida. Piano overdubs were done at Szymcyk's Coconut Grove Studios.

Bob

16. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    great stuff here ... went to school in Coconut Grove and used to see the guys around the area while this record was being made ... around this time the Eagles briefly rented a house in my old neighborhood in Miami and we used to try to glimpse them but they were too elusive ...

17. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I have 2 MK I Rotospheres. I briefly had a MK II. Beside the switch change you could adjust the speeds. But I found that to not be very useful. The preset speeds sound just fine as is.
    I also for some reason thought the MK I sounded better. Unfortunately it's been a long time and I don't remember why.

18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I had a similar experience where I went to school. There was a small recording studio there associated with a live-in mansion as a destination studio. I kept seeing these really familiar cats hanging around the parking lot and smoking. It turned out to be the Allman Brothers. The studio was Pyramid Eye Recording, associated with the small rehab label called Pyramid Records. Rehab labels took artists that had lost their contract, helped them record an album, and then found distribution to sell it. If they sold enough another label might pick them up. The Allmans and Joe Walsh did it through Pyramid.

Bob

19. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

This is what TGP is all about and the reason I keep coming back every day. You guys have a wealth of knowledge! I appreciate each and every post.

20. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

That solo is amaaaaazing.

Solarflares likes this.