Is it amp? Is it pedal?

JiMB

Amp or pedal gain is the question here.

Let's have some fun and see if the 'fine tone hounds' here at TGP can guess right.

I will tell you it is a R8 Les Paul with Tombuckers.

Let the games begin.

http://http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8501089

Happy New Year to everyone!

If you guessed pedal then you were correct!

The BMF Holy Balls! Overdrive to be exact.
The settings are in the photo and it was run thru the normal input of my Super Reverb, same settings as in the photo.
Gibson R8 was used as mentioned.
This has bumped my KOTV2 off the board.
While I love that pedal, the BMF retains the low end better and the gain sounds a bit more natural to my ears.
The decay of the gain as you let a note or chord sustain sounds more natural too, IMHO.
I think it sounds quite natural and is a great tool for acheiving those british/tweedy tones out of an amp that is set totally clean.

I've been using it at rehearsals lately with my Tungsten Crema Wheat(tweed type)amp for extra sustain and drive with great results.

That was cool reading that some thought maybe a 3Monkeys Orangutan, tweed amp w/attenuator or 1974X with a pedal. All very plausible.

Scott designed it as a low/medium gain pedal but I think he can tweak it for more gain if you like that.
I'm sure he'll chime in and can elaborate more than I can on the Holy Balls!
Send him an email if you're interested, he's great to work with!

And hey, sorry it took so long to reveal!
Thanks for checking in!

Jim

Last edited:

JiMB

wingwalker,
Yes it does, thanks!

jlagrassa,
Thanks. Not revealing anything just yet.

Jim

pfrischmann

I'm going to jump on the band wagon and say pedal. There is a certain texture that makes me feel it is a pedal.

It still sounds great. 90% of the people on the planet would never know.

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
Im going to say pedal, but theres a chance it could be a 3 monkeys orangutan with no reverb.....hmmmm

JiMB

Good guesses coming in! Hmmmmmm...tweed...Orangutan....Timmy...Great Wide Open...

Feels good under the fingers!

Thanks for listening and playing along!

Jim

Trending Topics