Is it bad form to play Eruption at a gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Jan 31, 2017.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Another option is to do 30 seconds of it and then rip into the next song. Give them a little bit, leave them wanting more. But you will be called out to do the whole thing eventually, so you'd better know it.

YYZ likes this.
  2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Kids in GC still play Eruption. I don't know if it would go over for the OP's band, but sometimes I think TGP gets a little too concerned with applying its view of "demographics" to everything. They exist of course, but they don't define everything that happens in the world of music.

Rock isn't as popular as it used to be. But the OP still manages to have a rock cover band.

Speaking of GC though, I saw a young girl maybe 12 or 13 there trying out a guitar. She was playing Seven Nation Army. Not sure why I thought that was cool, but I did.

nondeplume, fishruss and BMX like this.
  3. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

I've been humbled by my recordings when my perception while playing was everything was fine. Everything can affect that, from being tired to not having the material down. About ten years ago I had the house to myself for the weekend and I pulled some all nighters trying to get a good take of Jigsaw Puzzle Blues. I'd get to the end and think nailed it then listen to the playback and it'd be all over the place.

4. stevieboy

Only by request.

5. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I think that's great though. I taped myself from an early age and the one thing I learned is it doesn't lie.

I don't beat myself up though, there's always someone faster, more melodic, better songs, etc. It's a fun journey to be better each day.

Dave2512 likes this.
  6. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Born in '76, turned onto VH in roughly '83. I was 7 and in that era young kids loved MTV and a lot liked rock and VH and went back and checked out the old albums. That was pretty normal.

55 is a senior, but man those people can drink and the wait staff is often at their' sides because those people have money to spend, buy rounds, and tip well. And usually cause less fights and problems. Those people love live music and VH would be just fine I am sure of that.

BMX likes this.
  7. gigs

gigs Member

Unless it is EVH, then it is pure, unadulterated, egotistical wankery of the highest order.

8. stevieboy

Which just might be exactly what their audience is hoping for.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Even if it is EVH, isn't that pretty much what "Eruption" is?

10. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

CC DeVille tried. Don't be CC.

11. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I don't think age demographics matter at all. Guitar solos of any kind bore the
    living heck out people. I would learn it for the experience - and then pull it out
    once in a while late in the gig - like right after a 4 song dance set where
    people need to take a breather, and have a smoke and a drink - and while
    those people pay your salary - you wank off - and then everyone will look
    over at you, back to their 'friend' and says - 'Say... did you want to see my Boat'?

Crowder likes this.
  12. gigs

gigs Member

But it's EVH's egotistical wankery. If you got the chops and the inclination, do your own egotistical wankery. Ego is non-transferable.

lousyatit, Fred Farkus and A-Bone like this.
  13. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I don't think I would do something like Eruption at a cover gig unless it was a VH tribute band or something else that really calls for solo guitar noodling. Eruption is pretty long, and most people at a standard rock cover gig are not going to be paying close enough attention to be into it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  14. gigs

gigs Member

I don't mind listening to a band that tries it, always ends up confirming that they shouldn't have. But it's their gig, play whatever you want.

15. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

We have a local eighties cover band, and the guitar player tries to do this. There are a couple of phrases that are recognizable, the rest is guitar gibberish. It's painful.

The crowd loves it anyway.

I still think you shouldn't do it if you can't do it credibly.

16. cram

cram Member

If a group of great looking ladies who've really put in the effort and decided to have a great time on a dance floor infront of the band are having a blast:
    Don't F'ng play that ****. Stop it.

If 3 separate dudes have been pestering the band to play stuff like that... while filling up at the keg, waiting for some meat off the turning carcass on the fire pit and even while they should be happy playing cornhole by the fire pit...
    Then bust out the fog machine, get your drummer fired up to smack those things hard for the first two sections and let it rip!!!!

Rick Lee likes this.
  17. aldridt1

aldridt1 Member

I say play whatever the **** you want.

If I saw a cover band guitarist nail eruption, I think it would be pretty cool, and I'd probably buy him a beer and tell him he's a bad ass. If I saw one choke on it, it would not be cool, and I would not buy him a beer and tell him he's a bad ass. Its a simple as that.

Some crowds will dig it, some may not.....but this is no different than the rest of the set list. It depends on the crowd, the night, the band, etc.

I've played a few long wanky guitar solos and had a few big ass standing ovations from everyone in the bar......and it felt great. Would highly recommend it, if you have the means. Would have never happened if I didn't let it fly when the inspiration hits.

As I said before, some crowds will dig it, some will not.....but this is no different than the rest of the set list. It depends on the crowd, the night, the band, etc.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

That's a very good point, also they probably got as good as they did because they didn't have all the distractions that we do, like TGP.
    My guess is most guys here spend less time playing and practicing then they do surfing the web, I'm guilty of it some times as well.

19. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

If the best that could happen is you impress TGP, I wouldn't do it.:eek:

Fred Farkus likes this.
  20. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

Just to synthesize some different ideas that have shown up in this thread:

1) For the most part, people who think it is ever okay to do it have qualified that with "if you can really nail it."

2) Very very few people can objectively evaluate their own playing enough to truly be able to say whether, to the ear of the maniacal fan who is the only real audience for that song, you have indeed nailed it.

3) Even if done well, you may lose the audience because only a certain narrow demographic will know and appreciate that song (and then, again, only if you really nail it).

The upside is too speculative, and the downside is too predictable. I'd say, don't do it. If you knew it already, then maybe on that magical night when everything comes together you could pull it out and it would kill, but if you don't know it (which means you are not really a VH fanatic, and that's the only kind of person, I think, who should even consider attempting "Eruption") then don't go to the trouble of learning it.

Another thing to consider: whether it would or wouldn't work, it's pretty much guaranteed that there's another song that would be a better choice in any cover band set list: something where there is no issue of "can't dance to it" and "guitar wankery" to be overcome.

Jim Holloway and A-Bone like this.