Is it bad to mix brands (therefore different) cables?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KazJY, May 4, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

I have my pedal set-up finalized, so I am thinking of getting some new patch cables, and possibly new 10-footers as well - it is best to go with all one kind? (i.e. ALL George L's for example), or is it ok to mix different cables (capacitance, gauge, etc...)? The worst I see this getting is having two different leads, and then another kind of patch cable.

Sorry if this is a noob kinda question.

2. Fatso Forgottso

Fatso Forgottso Member

3. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

Mix away. Cables have some different sonic characteristics, but with the short lengths used between pedals it probably won't be all that evident(and if you're using buffered pedals, it doesn't really matter at all). Longer leads will have a more noticeable difference, but it should still be pretty subtle. Also, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better sounding or more durable.
    Just my opinion.

4. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

best place to spend a couple extra dollars is the cable from your guitar to your pedal board. It will see the most wear and tear, being constnatly unplugged, and moved around as you play.

I'm guessing there will likely be a buffer on your pedalboard somewhere. unless its a really long run to your amp, a buffered signal isn't going to degrade much due the cables following it.

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

No problems with my gl patch and mogami instruments.

6. bisticles

bisticles Member

Actually, I've found that the different methods of interconnecting the wire to the jack can affect signal quality. It's not so much the connector itself as it is the gauge of the wire used within the cable, and therefore the method and quality of connection between the two. A higher temperature soldering compound will (generally) yield a brighter, more brilliant sound, where the lower temp will sometime impede the higher frequencies, resulting in a bassier rolloff. My advice would be to stick to one brand, where you're more likely to get one type of connector style, and hopefully not have to "pay the solder tax" twice.

Nah, I'm just kidding, it doesn't matter at all. :)

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

If YOU think it matters, than it matters... sort of... but not really...

But the rest of the world wouldn't notice ANY difference.

8. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

bought and made a bunch of lava ELC's for the board......moved, had to pack up my little workbench....never made the rest of the board cables (2-3 left) i wont bother.....sounds great and a huge upgrade....screw it...knowone else including myself or any cork sniffer would hear the difference..:BOUNCE

i did find (as stated in above post) that guitar to pboard was a big jump..went to evidence melody...if it matters

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I've got a few high end and a few low end cables I use per application. My Tele is kinda bright so i'll use my low end cables to knock the highs down a bit. The low end cables are quieter too.

10. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I actually was using all GL's (patch/instrument) for a good year or two. Then I got some Lava ELC instrument cables and worked like that for a while (big difference, noticeable change in low end). In the past couple weeks I redid both boards with the lava elc soldered pedalboard kit and the BIG upside to that is no more worrying about my board crapping out. A little bit more bass response (not quite as noticeable as when I switched instrument cables but still noticeable in a live situation). Definitely worth it even if you change your board around a lot cause Mark gives you enough cable to fiddle around with.

11. KazJY

KazJY Member

I was literally sitting here shaking my head at the solder differences, you know that? oych. Thank goodness you are kidding.

12. kp8

kp8 Member

13. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Don't do it! One time I mixed a bunch of different cables at a gig, and I woke up with the worst hangover I've ever had!

14. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

yes, don't do it or pay for you indiscretion in bad karma !

15. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

Cables, strings, and those sorts of pieces in your setup do make slight differences in tone, and to some degree it is fleeting. Not that it may not be worth the time / money... but at the end of the day after all the testing I really didn't feel it was worth it.

Mix and use what you have and what's accessible. I'd focus more on a great amp / guitar than cables myself.

So to suggest some options, start off with mogami, canare, planet waves... their both great cable makers (better than monster) IMHO.

16. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

You can mix.

Keep in mind if you run high quality cable into your pedalboard
    and a piece of junk cable out of your pedalboard to your amp then the last cable in line has the final say on tone.

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

Having some consistency through the signal chain will only help everything to sound better.

17. ford

ford Supporting Member

I run one type of cable between the pedals... then I have two of the same type of cable running from guitar to board and board to amp.

Bill Lawrence patch cables...( these sound great, but man the ends of the short plugs are giving me a very hard time going into the pedals....)

I just bought 2 of the Stringdog.net cables and am very pleased with what I hear so far. My rig can be pretty bright, so these cables work very well with it. (Hayseed 30 head with a 2x12 cab/Eminence Red Fang speakers)

rock

bford

18. astainback

astainback Member

I say mix them up!!
    I sometimes use a mix of canare, cheap radio shack, and generic Guitar center cables.
    Most of the cables that I use are canare with G&H ends.
    My guitar to pedalboard cable is a Planet Waves cable.

19. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

All those cables most likely have similar electronic specs so your ok

Lets say if you have

some Lyric HG from guitar to pedalboard, then some Mogami patch
    into some .14 per foot audio technica cable, your going to run Good cable into junk ;) the junk what ever it may be is not going to carry the sound quality or signal strength of the good cable.

20. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It's not quite that simple, for reasons explained in detail in the previous big cable thread. Each link response is defined by it's source and destination signal and impedance. IOW, the guitar to pedal link is totally different than one between buffered pedals. Look up the last thread for more gory detail.;)