Is it better to place a musician ad or answer an ad?

kiki_90291

Answer. I'm putting a band together right now - sent out an invite to audition to 18 guitarist (each of whom had responded to my ad asking to audition). Two said no (that's ok - they weren't into the songs we were using for the audition, good filter), two signed up and the rest never responded again. One of the two who showed up worked out, so I ran a second ad for a singer and one of the guys who responded to the first ad and then disappeared responded AGAIN, "apologized" for blowing me off the first time and asked to come in to audition.

Musicians are flaky and annoying people. If you respond, you only have to deal with one. If you run an ad, you have to deal with a lot of them. :)

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
It would seem kinda obvious to me that for every successful ad connection, there was one to post, and one to answer. So I'm gonna say 50/50.

But other things... If you've already got a nucleus of a band, then post the ad. (My drummer friend and I did this and it got good results.) If you're the front guy/singer/song-writer, post the ad. But if you're a maracas player on your own right now, answer an ad.

stratotastic

Answer. I'm putting a band together right now - sent out an invite to audition to 18 guitarist (each of whom had responded to my ad asking to audition). Two said no (that's ok - they weren't into the songs we were using for the audition, good filter), two signed up and the rest never responded again. One of the two who showed up worked out, so I ran a second ad for a singer and one of the guys who responded to the first ad and then disappeared responded AGAIN, "apologized" for blowing me off the first time and asked to come in to audition.

Musicians are flaky and annoying people. If you respond, you only have to deal with one. If you run an ad, you have to deal with a lot of them. :)
Agreed. The amount of riff-raff and scumbags you have to deal with when you post an ad can by dizzying. Thankfully over time you build up enough contacts in your network that you don't have to do the ad thing anymore.

Fatboy666

Silver Supporting Member
you are likely to get a more serious reply from someone looking to join an already put together band than you are if you say you're starting from scratch

I've been on auditions for both and the "band looking for a guitarist" has always worked out better than the "putting together a band, looking for drummer, bass, singer" ads. The latter usually lacks focus and often changes musical direction a few times, plus you get a lot of dreamers. Established bands have their style and material together...........usually, and you can decide if it's worth auditioning based on the song list. You also hafta get along with these folks, don't forget that part.

Yer Blues

I think it would be better to respond to an add. After the initial communication exchange facebook, youtube, etc info so you can hear each other and see if both sides think it will be a good fit.

Marc Roy

I used to place ads all the time and have learned my lesson. The amount of tire kickers and just plain weirdos you get can be mindblowing. My personal favorite was a bright young fellow who called me up and after inquiring about my musical tastes, told me I needed an 8 piece band to properly cover a Jimi Hendrix song. That one ended real quick.

Ads can work out though. You just have to be patient.

slybird

Do you have a vision, goals and demo ready? If not then I recommend that you answer ads.

What instrument do you want to play? If it is guitar then I recommend that you answer ads.

lhrocker

Thanx for the info. I find that if I am looking for a band, I will place a guitarist/bassist available ad and if my band is looking for someone, I will usually answer an ad first. There should be a form to fill out that includes all necessary details as most ad's don't give enough info

tone4days

Silver Supporting Member
if i could host, i'd form a band ... as is, i do better answering ads ... i prefer to join something existing as opposed to a start up, but i've done both and had about equal long term success

good luck

stevel

Both.

Why limit yourself?

However, I want to caution you this: Be very specific in your own ad about what it is you want to do.

And don't respond to ads that aren't specific.

As mentioned above, there are a lot of flakes out there.

One of my best gigs, I got from placing an ad.

The other, was from answering an ad.

Both were very specific and targeted.

But I've also had lots of "non-starters" from either.

I've learned over the years to be more specific rather than less or else you just waste your time. Life's too short for that.

stevel

you are likely to get a more serious reply from someone looking to join an already put together band than you are if you say you're starting from scratch

I've been on auditions for both and the "band looking for a guitarist" has always worked out better than the "putting together a band, looking for drummer, bass, singer" ads. The latter usually lacks focus and often changes musical direction a few times, plus you get a lot of dreamers. Established bands have their style and material together...........usually, and you can decide if it's worth auditioning based on the song list. You also hafta get along with these folks, don't forget that part.
This is 100% true.

I don't even mess with startups. That's something "dreamers" to use Fatboy666's term do.

The only "startup" you should ever do is this:

1. One with a singer who's unbelievable, has focus, direction, and tastes you agree with, that you can be a writing partner with. Either that or a singer who wants to work with you because of your talent in that area. Every Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, or Jon Bon Jovi and Ritchie Sambora collaboration kind of thing - unless they are the lead singer, bassists and drummers are a dime a dozen. Sorry, that's the truth. Pair with the vocalist, then find the others.

But 3 or 4 guys that have a band "looking for a singer" - that's bad news. Because they've already done ignorant stuff like decide what material to play without even beginning to fathom if a singer can even sing that stuff or not.

2. One where you can pay people and run it as a business. Buy a PA, lights, trailer, and hire the musicians and tell them what to play, and pay them. Because otherwise, you get what you pay for. You *might* find 3 or 5 people with similar goals and interests, but odds are not in your favor for that generally.

Most people don't understand this.

But when you do, it makes life easier, and makes projects worthwhile. Otherwise, you're best off to answer an ad for "guitarist needed" and then check to see how far along the band is.

At this point in my life, I won't join a band unless they're already working.

stevel

Thanx for the info. I find that if I am looking for a band, I will place a guitarist/bassist available ad and if my band is looking for someone, I will usually answer an ad first. There should be a form to fill out that includes all necessary details as most ad's don't give enough info
Oh, wait.

If you are looking for a band, go ahead and answer ads that seem to be a band you're interested in.

However, word of advice: Don't place an ad that says "bass or guitar" - If I'm looking for a Bassist, I want a true bassist, not someone who's a guitarist but plays bass and is willing to take a gig on bass because they can't find one on guitar. I mean, if the person is a true multi-instrumentalist and WANTs to play one or the other, and that fits, that's OK. But I find people who are saying they play both often can't play either well, or are really focused on and prefer to play one over the other.

Because of that, either place two different ads (so no one can tell it's the same person) or only respond to ads asking for a guitarist, or a bassist - don't respond to ones looking for both and say "I can do either". I mean, it worked for The Beatles because it was sort of like they could all play Bass and Guitar, but McCartney was the best bass player so it defaulted to him. But you want to be happy what you're doing or what's the point.

If your band is looking for someone, usually you are answering ads first because you're looking for someone so that makes sense.

But I'd go ahead and place an ad too.

You're right in that most ads don't give enough info.

That's why I said, be specific in your ad. And don't answer ones that aren't specific. By contacting people with little or no information, you're just throwing spaghetti at the wall. You could luck out, but odds are, you're going to get 99%-100% flakes by doing that.

Sure it makes it seem futile, but you need the *right* person, or else you'll be doing this again in a week or so.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
When looking to join a band, is it better to put an ad out or to answer an ad?
If you're just looking to get on someone else's train, better to answer an ad. I've put together a bunch of bands over the years, and I'm always scanning the local ads, and I can't recall contacting a "Sideman Available" ad--it was always people answering my "Band Seeks..." ad. In general, the good musicians are already gigging and join projects via word of mouth.

Trending Topics