Is it crazy to buy a Boss DD2/3/5 in this day and age??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by prototype, May 6, 2016.

1. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I bought 2 DD-3s in the past year. A great simple delay pedal

2. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

I still use my DD-3 as my main Digital Delay. Great pedal.

You have no worries about gigging with an old Boss pedal. Many, many people gig with Boss stuff from the 80's and 90's.

3. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

hell no it isn't. I own a DD-2 and am looking for a DD-5. I also own a CE-2, BF-2, & CS-2. Boss makes great sounding and dependable pedals. I recently picked up a DM-2x and love it as well.

4. Rikster

Rikster Member

I still have and use my DD-3 from the '80's. I actually feel so "old" when I bring the DD-3, along with my other Boss pedals, in the BCB-6 carry case. Come on.... All you guys who grew up and played in the '80's know exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout :waiting LOL. I still remember seeing those pedals/case being used by Hiram Bullock and Sid McGinnis on Late Night with Letterman. I also have a pedaltrain board with "boutique" pedals but even on that board, you'll still find one of my older Boss pedals in the rotation. Anyway, I've never been one to beat on my equipment, but with routine cleaning, contact cleaner, compressed air, etc. I've yet to have an issue with these pedals. Sound great for what they are, and after 30+ years they still deliver. :aok

Cheers,

Rich:cool:

p.mo likes this.
  5. prototype

prototype Member

MIJ DD3 with the old DD2 circuit came in the mail yesterday :D

only got to play around with it for a few minutes last night, but it sounded breddy gud. very much reminiscient of other boss delays, but the way the repeats blended was very nice.

6. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Supporting Member

I own an Echoplex EP3, a Korg SDD 3000 rack, a big box DMM w/ MN3005's, and I still use my old Boss DD2 on some stuff.

I also think there's something to be said for the fact that Pete Cornish uses the DD2 as the base for his T.E.S.

7. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

If it works for you, who cares what other people think?

Personally, I'm digging the DD-500 but my delay needs are a bit more esoteric.

8. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've owned a DD2 for many years and really like it, but if I had to pay big bucks for it nowadays, I'd probably use something else. I have an El Capistan and mostly use that.

9. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

what are they going for these days?

10. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

i have 2 dd3s and 2 dd5s

11. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

I honestly don't understand the question. This day and age? We're hardly in the golden era of pedals haha. Almost everything released today is judged by how close it comes to something made 20-30 years ago. Anyhoo, yes, definitely try the DD-X pedals. Fantastic delays.

12. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

[​IMG]

13. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

John Jorgenson used a DD-2 and Dimension C in a BCB-6 with the Hellecasters and continues to do so with his rock band today.

14. prototype

prototype Member

it was less than $120 with shipping fam. probably the 6th or 7th most expensive delay pedal i've had but the repeats work so good.