Is it customary to tip a tech for guitar work?

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
No. Usually it's the luthier who owns the shop. He sets his prices accordingly.

To me that's like tipping your dentist.

Last edited:

atomicmoondog

I tip my tech/luthier in alternative ways, other than money. For example, if I pass through Colorado I will bring him a souvenir. Trust me, I strongly believe that the level of effort and attention to detail is escalated as opposed to just walking in the door seeking service on a guitar when you give a little something more. It's a great return on investment.

kowalski440

Silver Supporting Member
no. but if your tech isn't charging enough, probably. if the work is well done the best tip you can give a respectable tech is telling others about your experience. word of mouth/good reviews become better "tips" in the long run.

Guitarworks

I do all my own work. When I do work for others, the usual additional gratuity I get is some free item on top of the fees, like guitar parts or beer.

Never even dawned on me to. I don't get this tipping culture at all. It's not my cost of business to pay someone's employees. It's theirs. Now if they want to make me part owner, that's another story. Until then... it annoys me as much as when a bar that sells alcohol doesn't pay the musicians but passes the hat instead.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
the best tip you can give a respectable tech is telling others about your experience. word of mouth/good reviews become better "tips" in the long run.
Yes yes yes yes yes......

If the tech is paid an hourly wage and you feel like they did an extra nice job, sure, tip 'em, but it isn't expected.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Not necessarily or expected (esp. When it is the owner) --- but --- I have tipped and do when exceptional work is done and I think the bill is more than fair for the time spent and quality (eg if I'm there while work is done and I know the bill is less than actual time spent).

stealthtastic

I definitely don't tip my guitar tech. He charges like $110 for a setup, which is ridiculous but he's also the only guy here who won't return a guitar in worse shape.

Lt Dak

Silver Supporting Member
No. My guy is above market rate, but he's very good, so I don't mind too much. But tips? No.

soulohio

it is fine to tip
anyone who does a great job for you
that you can depend on
or the working poor

Papanate

I tip my Luthier about as much as I tip my Mechanic.
IOWs never.

However I do bring them funs things...My wife's homemade Brownies.
A Six Pack of something unique. Sometimes Krispy Kreme Donuts...Fresh
and Hot!

Jason_77

I wasn't sure what the etiquette is so I tipped mine. Not only did he charge less than I expected, but he works independently out of a spare room in a music shop so I'm sure he has to give them a cut. Plus, I was very happy with the work he did and thought it was well worth it.

Trending Topics