Is it difficult to change an On/Off switch in a pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pete12string, Feb 27, 2015.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

The On/Off switch on my MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe is acting flaky. When I click it, sometimes it does not work, or will switch the effect on for like a second and then goes "off" again. However, sometimes it DOES work. I'm thinking I need to change it.

Where can I get the part? Is it difficult to change one of these? It doesn't look too complicated but I would have to get myself a soldering iron and some solder along with the new switch. Can anybody offer any help?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. nateco

nateco Member

It's not terribly difficult.

Take pictures of the switch as it is now and just wire up the new one the exact same way.

If you screw it up...any local place will fix it for you for not a lot of money.

3. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I'd just take it to an amp repair guy if I needed to get all the tools and supplies. It's very easy to do as nateco says but unless you plan on more soldering projects it would be a lot less expensive to just get a tech to do it.

4. pete12string

I guess I can take the switch out and go to a Radio Shack for a replacement. Thanks! I'll give it a try!

5. pete12string

A few friends who work with electrical stuff might be able to help. Would Guitar Center be able to fix something like this?

6. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I don't know if GC does stuff like that. A radio/TV repair guy could do it. If a friend has an iron take it to them. It's a very straightforward job. A few minutes to do.

7. Modulator

Modulator Member

Highly doubtful that RadioShack has it in stock or that any of the salespeople will have a clue. Try Smallbear, they are my go to when doing small orders of electronic components.

Some GC's might have someone in house that could fix it, but they might also outsource it and tack on a few more bucks than it can be.

8. DoctorBray

DoctorBray Member

Before opting to replace the switch, I would try a quick spray of DeOxit.

9. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

to answer the OP, it largely depends on the switch layout, if its your typical 3PDT and its not mounted directly to the PCB, it should be fairly simple, if its mounted to the PCB, desoldering the contacts would be a tricky first time soldering job. If its the PCB mounted tactile switches, with a plunger type switch, then its going to be fairly difficult as well. Personally, I wouldn't start my journey into the world of effects pedals DIY off with a footswitch repair, I'd start out rewiring your guitar electronics, or building a simple passive circuit, like a tap tempo pedal, or an expression knob. That's what I did, had I just jumped into repairing my POG2 slider, I would have more than likely fried the pedal (I was still worried that I would have done so with my experience).

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Boom. Spray inside the moving part of the switch plunger. Actuate the switch a few times, flip pedal upside down, work the switch a few more times. Maybe follow up with a shot of compressed air.

11. pete12string

DoctorBray and TheoDog - Thanks! I'll try this first. I've got a can of DeoxIT.

12. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

And if its a tactile switch, it might be using a flip flop to do the switching, which opens up a whole new can of worms.

13. pete12string

Yeah, it looks like it is mounted directly to the PCB... Better not fool with it. If the DeoxIT doesn't do the trick I'll bring it to a pro.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :D

14. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I agree with the difficulty would exceed your experience. I remember getting some pretty nasty burns many times when I soldered a lot. Those switches actually come apart and can be cleaned, google it.