Is it just me (kids these days)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CanuckChris, Mar 28, 2019.

1. prototype

prototype Member

then bought a house and supported a family of four on a high school graduate's single income

2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Enabled consumerism is to blame. Ready access to a wide variety of inexpensive consumer goods thanks to internet shopping and offshore labor, combined with generous return policies has spoiled consumers and conditioned them to put less thought and preparedness into purchases. They just want perfection and instant gratification. And they certainly bristle at the very thought of having to face consequences, if not throw a tantrum.

stonem likes this.
  3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

[QUOTE="The better players that I know, don't have to make a big ruckus about some flaw on a guitar. They just put it back on the wall, quietly.[/QUOTE]

^^^ THIS, a thousand times! ^^^

ssdeluxe likes this.
  4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

^^^ AND THIS! ^^^

5. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Or, if the guitar is otherwise great, we fix the flaw or decide it can be lived with.

stonem, aussie_owner and Calebz like this.
  6. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

These little bastards never worked in retail to support a family. If they did the conversations would be different.

monty likes this.
  7. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

They get real out of shape if someone low balls their CL or Reverb for sale gear add but feel perfectly
    okay doing that themselves at Guitar Center or Ebay.

monty likes this.
  8. Gilwater

Gilwater Member

I worked in customer service related sales for years. They guy who would complain and be the most problematic customer always got more free stuff than the customer who was pleasant and easy to deal with. (that methodology always seemed backwards to me) Now it seems that the complaining problem guys has taught their kids how to negotiate with complaints too.

Many times taking care of these complainers by offering concessions seems to embolden them, and just makes them worse for future transactions rather than making a loyal patron for future sales.

Really at some point it was better to tell them, "no" and accept losing their business rather than offering all kinds of discounts and concessions only to get a bad review and lose their business anyway.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  9. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

Stop listing your gear as mint and post good pics helps.

10. Calebz

Calebz Member

I'm a cheap guitar guy. My daily driver is a $400 used Epiphone. But I'm also not a bitch. It was what I wanted at the time, so I bought it knowing it would have crappy tuners, pots and switch...and - horror- it might even need some fret cleanup!

To my surprise, the tuners and frets were perfectly serviceable. The pots and the switch sucked so I replaced them and moved on. It's a cheap guitar and I love it, warts and all. It gets substantially more play time than its more expensive American cousin.

Like one of the other guys here said, I do my research. I also enjoy tinkering with stuff, so a lot of my gear is purchased with that in mind. Tinkering with budget gear to make it cooler is fun. Sometimes it bites me in the ass and doesn't turn out how I hoped. But that's also part of the fun

This whole damned music thing is supposed to be an adventure. Bitching about a warped pickguard or crappy pots on a budget guitar just can't be part of that adventure for me.

ssdeluxe likes this.
  11. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

It’s not just the kids. I’ve had full-grown adults (some retirees too) complain about minute/ nitpicking things while expecting perfection for somethings that were ridiculously low-priced, basically given to them (I wasn’t the seeller in these instances).

12. theruley

theruley Member

I work on campers for a living and i remember a customer coming back to us after buying a used trailer. He demanded we give him four cans of spray foam because there were a couple gaps and holes in his underbelly material. He ranted for five minutes about it.

I told him "no" and i remember the initial look of surprise on his face, like this was the first time someone ever told him no. Then he ranted again for another five minutes. I said if he brought his trailer by that we would be more than happy to spray foam the underside of his trailer for him, but we are not in the business of giving away our shop supplies.

I secretly hoped that he would keep arguing with me about it, but he left after that...i am 30, and this guy was old enough to be my dad.

stonem likes this.
  13. stonem

stonem Member

I couldn't agree more. People have taken the customer is always right attitude to a whole new level and yes it seems they teach their offspring how to game the system too. I used to manage a small store in my 20s. And I just threw people out that acted like that. The owner was alarmed at first when he saw me do it on camera but also thought it was funny. He used to call me "Bubba" (not my name btw) he was old school to so he understood. Business these days seem to encourage people to act the fool.

14. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I’ve wondered when that partial refund tactic started. I didn’t see it until around 2006. Before that it was pretty unheard of. Did its rise coincide with Ebay removing the sellers’ ability to leave negative feedback on buyers? The first time I saw it was when my wife was selling vintage jewelry. She eventually just gave up selling on EBay because it became so frequent. Then it started with gear I was selling. Ive stopped using EBay completely. I won’t give them my money.

It has indeed become a very common thing, across most selling venues. I’ve even had jerks attempt to pull it on me here selling on the Emporium. It’s like once it started on EBay a memo went out to every unscrupulous ahole telling them to do it.

15. stonem

stonem Member

I had people try it before that (I've never given a partial and wont on principal alone) My wife used to sell coach purses too, new with tags and she had 3 people in a row come back and hit her for partials with various complaints. The purse smelled, it was used etc. None were true. She gave up due to this too.
    I used to sell guitars, pedals, and jewelry. Made alot of extra money and some cool rare gear has been in my hands. But it's just a cesspool nowadays. Not even close to worth it. I have a guitar I want to sell now but I wont ship it due to its cost and risk of the partial refund trolls so its sat unplayed for over a year.
    Society sucks and most people would do anything to get over on someone if they can do it anonymous online.

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  16. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I don’t see this as a “kids” issue. It’s fallout from unrealistic consumer expectations cultivated by overly permissive return policies that essentially removal all responsibilities from the consumer.

We no longer have any sense of connection with the fact that commerce is conducted by other humans. We’ve reached the point that we view retailers as an enemy, and our “job” as consumers is to get over on them before they get over on us.

It’s all rather toxic and devoid of any long-term thinking and reeks of selfishness.

I miss the days when it was all about providing a quality product or service for a fair price point in which parties on both sides of the transaction enjoyed benefits of the transaction.

17. Noise Under The Floor

The last few guitars I sold last year were due to buying a new house. I had to let some stuff go. The 3 I sold were the most expensive guitars I owned, and one was vintage. Total.F’ing.Hassle. One of them was here on the Emporium, which was actually sold twice. The first buyer was such a nutball before it even got shipped I just refunded him. I knew he was going to pull some BS once it was in his hands. The other buyer got it, and immediately started trying to get some money back, making false claims. The other 2 sold on Reverb, and both buyers tried the partial refund nonsense. They both got shot down, but still, just that 3 people in a row pulled that s#!t. Nope, send it back. No partial refunds. They backed down. I’m done. I got the one on the emporium back and consigned it at a local store. It sold in 2 days, with no games involved and I netted more.

Gevalt and stonem like this.
  18. Noise Under The Floor

There’s another active thread about buyers not leaving feedback, or not even giving one bit of any kind of communication with a seller. What you said here is a perfect example/reason of why I think that probably is. It’s become very depersonalized.

I made a comment in that thread about how I find it odd that someone will send you several thousand dollars for a guitar, on a venue like Reverb, but never communicate. Just a note to say “Hey, I got it and am pleased with it.” Another member questioned why that needed to be done. It doesn’t, but it’s a very courteous, and human, thing to do.

Gevalt and Astronaut FX like this.
  19. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

I don't think it's so much a youngin thing so much as a general malaise of entitlement where people think they can buy competence and at any price. YouTube hasn't helped, but then, what has it?

ssdeluxe likes this.
  20. stonem

stonem Member

This is exactly what I've experienced. I take between 15 and 25 pics and even video for alot of my listings and still get this crap.

Funny thing is they always "really like the guitar and want to keep it but feel like they should be due some money back" that seems to be the standard line. I even had a guy pretend to be the father of the buyer (who suddenly was a minor) and try to claim I was ripping his son off etc it was hillarious. I sold him a usa fender floyd rose strat for 700 btw and it was NM condition, I got if for 200 in a pawn shop sonic thought I'd pass the deal along, and the guy still went on for weeks trying to get a partial.

Alot of times internet interaction brings out the worst in humanity.