Is it just me, or do all "overdrives" suck?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tedm, Dec 8, 2016.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Listened to a "Dunes" today, and a Moog Minifooger OD.

Have had Fulldrives, TS9s, TS7, DOD 250, OCDs (twice), Blues Driver, Barber LTD, Tube driver, etc., always come back to just fuzz.

Anyone else just think OD's sound raspy and dull compared to fuzz?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Sir, I think you already have a great amp.

tedm likes this.
  4. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Not in my experience.
    OD and Fuzz are different beasts.

LordByron likes this.
  5. tedm

Yes, I get the differences clearly, just is OD (straight, not stacked, or mixed with fuzz) just boring. Am I getting too old for ODs?

6. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Member

J Mascis would agree. Although he uses OD it's mostly to push his fuzz pedals.

7. Masa

Masa Member

I haven't used an OD pedal, since I discovered treble boosters about 15 years ago. I did buy a few more, but always went back to treble boosters after a day or two.

LordByron, wornoutjunkie and tedm like this.
  8. tedm

I've tried this, most recently with a Klone, but my particular Fuzz ('69) sounds better when it's the first. Also tried a tube screamer in front of it.

9. BerkeleyJones

BerkeleyJones Member

Well between the OCD & DOD (which I cannot stand) and the remaining being tubecreamers, sounds like many you have not tried!

Depends of course how you use them. Fuzz, to me, can be almost unusable live whereas a great OD can hit the bullseye!

saltbird and Abram4235 like this.
  10. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

but OverdriveSuckLover doesnt quite have the ring to it

11. tedm

How about "FuzzLover" ?

12. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Try a Jester or Harlot and then tell us what you think.

Named, mkr1, Rhythm Rocker and 5 others like this.
  13. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Some people just prefer different stuff - I always find fuzzes too chewy and lacking treble / cut.

I mind when I used to jam with this guy and he used the neck pickup for his rythym tone and it just disappeared into a farty mushy mess. Yet when I played the same riff on bridge pickup, he would say it was too shrill and wimpy for him.

Folks just like what they like!

14. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Overdrive don't suck. They do change the feel and dynamics of the sound but they do a job.

I'd suggest you haven't found the OD for you.

What are you wanting the OD to do? Boost an already gained up amp or provide a level of gain based on the clean channel?

BerkeleyJones likes this.
  15. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

It's you.
    The TS is a fantastic sound in a band context. Other sounds I've enjoyed working with is the version 1 Bluesbreaker and the Klon.

I wish though, that there were more ODs that compressed. I know the buzzwords these days are Open and Transparent, but there's something to be said for a low gain, compressed singing sound

16. ogguitar

ogguitar Member

I used to think that as well before trying a few that I liked. I think a lot of people have the one camp they either love or hate though. Some only love fuzz, others only OD. Some hate OD, some don't care for fuzz. I personally don't find anything appealing about distortion pedals or using boosts for more gain. Different strokes and such

17. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I am the opposite. I cannot seem to wrap my head around fuzz properly. I've not gone too deeply yet - just a Muff and a Si mini FF - but for me there is no subtlety in fuzz. No middle ground. Just clean or wall-o-noise. An OD pedal gives me something in between that I can work with. Something that has some level of dynamics where the grit can be hiding just behind the note if you're playing lightly, or a significant part of the texture when you dig in.

It's not just you - that's why there are so many choices. Don't like OD, no problem. If a fuzz is what you hear in your head when you think "guitar?", then that is what you should be using...

18. NielsM

NielsM Member

+1. Cannot get along with Fuzz.
    Different people, different taste in distorted guitar sounds.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sounds like to me your just doing the low vol home thing and in that case most od will sound a bit brittle.

Me, when playing low vol, a amp sim pedal is on at end of chain. Then yo run your fuzz and od into that. When I can't wind amp up so that it acts like a amp/speaker should, I'll flip this on, low fenderish edgy hair clean. Cab sim is also on, it makes those high end raspy gnats disappear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  20. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

I like OD/Dist pedals but I don't care enough to flip through them. The classics just always slay...

Carlin Compressor/Fuzz or Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone might be something you'd like. Or just combine a cheap comp with any old OD pedal.

Average Joe likes this.